Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 9:08:08 AM EDT
I am doing some checking as to any relationship between the Potomac Institute in Bethesda, Maryland and the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies in Arlington, Virginia. If there is, there will no longer be any question as to where this training will be applied.

Read how nice these people are:
Potomac Institute (Maryland)
[url]www.potomac-inc.org/[/url]
-------------------------------

War game to be held next week

Friday, 22 June 2001 14:58 (ET)

[url]www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=196559[/url]

WASHINGTON, June 22 (UPI)-- [B]The Potomac Institute for Policy Studies'
Center for Emerging Threats and Opportunities will conduct a two-day
strategy-policy war game on Wednesday and Thursday.[/B]

The event will be the second in a series of war games called Project
Lincolnia, which explores the tactical, operational, and strategic aspects
of urban warfare. [B]Lincolnia II will examine weapons control issues in an
urban environment[/B], and will look at how nonlethal weapons and other new
technologies might be used in humanitarian crises.

Developed by CETO -- a joint effort of the U.S. Marine Corps and PIPS
dedicated to exploring innovative ways to deal with nontraditional threats
to national security -- the Lincolnia series is a response to concerns
raised in a 2000 GAO report that criticized the Department of Defense's
approach to military operations in urban terrain (MOUT).

The report found that DOD efforts are too focused on the tactical level,
and have ignored strategic and operational concerns. The report also found
shortfalls in intelligence collection and efforts in joint experimentation.

The Lincolnia series is unique because the strategy and policy
alternatives developed in next week's game will form the basis for
subsequent games at the operational and tactical levels.

The war game's scenario is set in the mythical nation of Nicolesia. The
situation in the capital city of Lincolnia continues to deteriorate as three
factions vie for control, while a U.S.-led UN multinational force attempts
to preserve the factions' fragile cease-fire negotiated during Lincolnia I.

As the cease-fire is implemented, it becomes evident that a weapons
control process is needed to reduce civilian casualties, restore the
cease-fire, and provide security for the humanitarian relief effort.

The strategy-policy game will include political, military, economic,
cultural and intelligence role players. A simulated interagency and
coalition group will formulate policies, which will be presented to the
cultural-role players for negotiation.

Next week's game will be followed by an operational game and a tactical
experiment involving Marines at Quantico, Va. Lincolnia II will conclude in
the fall with an assessment conference that examines the recommendations and
lessons learned.
--

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The potomac institute scares me. They preach a nice game, but if you dig into it, they're frighteningly totalitarian -- an ideological snake in the grass. To those folks, the second amendment is a "libertarian fantasy" -- and they're actively working to make their totalitarian fantasy a reality.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
The war game's scenario is set in the mythical nation of Nicolesia. The situation in the capital city of Lincolnia ...
View Quote

They should've called them Sylvania and Freedonia.  [:P]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
These would sure look swell with a UN patch on the sleeve:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1159732902[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Aww hell, how am I going to break the news to Koffi?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#6]
A sample of this is to be observed in the exaggerated and improbable suggestions which have taken place respecting the power of calling for services of the millitia. THat of New Hampshire is to be marched to Georgia, of Georgia to New Hampshire, of New York to Kentucky, and of Kentucky to Lake Champlain. Nay, the debts due to the French and Dutch are to be paid in Millitiamen instead of louis d'or and Ducats.
At one moment there is to be a large army to lay prostrate the liberties of the people; at anorher moment, the millitia of Virginia are to be dragged fro,m thier homes five or six hundred miles, to tame the republican contumace of Massachucets; and that of Mass. is to be transported an equal distance to subdue the refractory haughiteness of the aristocratic Virginians.
Do the persons who rave at this rate imahine that their art or eloquence can impose any conciets or absurdities upon the poeple of America for infallible truths?....

A. Hamilton
Federalist Papers
Number XXVIII
"To the Poeple of the state of New York"
From the "Independant Journal"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDELETEDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Molon Labe my brothers in uniform who will circumvent Posse Comatatus to get my guns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Gentlemen, unless I am mistaken, the United States is still a very vital component of the United Nations.

I believe that someone has mistakenly referred to the removal of the United States from the United Nations Commission On Human Rights.

The United States is still a member of the United Nations.

However, the United States is not a dues paying member. Your Administration has refused to release the funds to pay your debt to the United Nations.

I urge you to contact your government representative and request that President Bush do the honorable thing.

Please pay your debt to the United Nations.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I am doing some checking as to any relationship between the Potomac Institute in Bethesda, Maryland and the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies in Arlington, Virginia. If there is, there will no longer be any question as to where this training will be applied.

[url]www.potomac-inc.org/[/url]
-------------------------------
View Quote

There is no connection whatsoever between these organizations.  There are actually at least four Potomac Institutes.  The Potomac Institute (Md.), Bethesda, Md., http://www.potomac-inc.org/index.html ,
is the only one incorporated in Maryland.

GEErnst

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The potomac institute scares me. They preach a nice game, but if you dig into it, they're frighteningly totalitarian -- an ideological snake in the grass. To those folks, the second amendment is a "libertarian fantasy" -- and they're actively working to make their totalitarian fantasy a reality.
View Quote

Wait till the US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, comes out with a ruling in US v. Emerson, that takes up the arguments in our amicus brief, [url]http://www.potomac-inc.org/emeramic.html
[/url]

GEErnst

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I never saw anywhere in here where it says gun confiscation...am I missing something or is paranoia kicking in. Stop looking for the boogie man behind every corner.

RLTW
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I never saw anywhere in here where it says gun confiscation...am I missing something or is paranoia kicking in. Stop looking for the boogie man behind every corner.

RLTW
View Quote

You are missing ALOT.

Did you even bother reading this part?

"I am doing some checking as to any relationship between the Potomac Institute in Bethesda, Maryland and the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies in Arlington, Virginia. If there is, there will no longer be any question as to where this training will be applied.

[url]www.potomac-inc.org/[/url]"

If even read their site you would see what the concern was. Since you have already demonstrated to be unwilling to do so, I will provide a sample quote from their site:

"Accountability of ownership— which means specifically registration of ownership— has to be the conceptual foundation for a national firearms policy. It is the only policy consistent with citizenship under law and government. [B]Registration is the mechanism to establish enforceable legal categories of gun ownership, arrived at through political processes."[/B]

Translation: Register the gun owners, then using that list confiscate the guns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't worry--the iron fist has a silk glove on it.
View Quote

Yep. That'll give me a little more peace of mind when I'm told to "bend over"
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#19]

[url]www.potomac-inc.org/[/url]"

If even read their site you would see what the concern was. Since you have already demonstrated to be unwilling to do so, I will provide a sample quote from their site:

"Accountability of ownership— which means specifically registration of ownership— has to be the conceptual foundation for a national firearms policy. It is the only policy consistent with citizenship under law and government. [B]Registration is the mechanism to establish enforceable legal categories of gun ownership, arrived at through political processes."[/B]

Translation: Register the gun owners, then using that list confiscate the guns.
View Quote

You might not like the idea but there is nothing new about it.  Militia duty was conscript duty.  The Militia Act of 1792, [url]http://www.potomac-inc.org/emerappc.html
[/url],
required state militia officers to maintain inventories, called "Return of Militia," of militia resources including privately owned weapons and report them to the President of the United States.  These inventories were reported for more than twenty years starting in 1802,
[url]http://www.potomac-inc.org/milret.html
[/url].  After the 1820s the conscript militia was a dying institution.  It seems that these United States by some standards started out as a totalitarian police state.  It seems we still are on some fundamental level.  The Supreme Court just today rejected the NRA's appeal to defeat an imagined registry scheme so it could maintain the "armed populace at large" outside of any lawfully authorized purpose and reduce the Constitution from a frame of government with "just powers" that derive from the consent of the governed to a treaty among sovereign individuals who give no more than word of honor and promise of good faith. [url]http://www.potomac-inc.org/nrareno3.html
[/url]

GEErnst
The Potomac Institute (Md.)
http://www.potomac-inc.org/index.html

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Registration leads to confiscation.  Here in the PRK, the government takes your registered guns away from your family when you die.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#21]
There is nothing imaginary about the registration scheme in California.  The same could happen to the rest of our nation.

"Accountability of ownership" should not be applied to firearms since it is our [u]right[/u] and not a privilege.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top