Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 4:47:01 AM EDT
What branch service and/or unit were the guys who first hit the beach, and were met by the CNN lights and cameras?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Somalia or Kuwait?
Kuwait it was SEALS.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Somalia.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The Marines... don't remember the unit, but I remember all the flashbulbs going off and the lights set-up when the LCAC's hit the beach...

Partial credit?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Saw some old comrades this weekend.  One of whom was there.
1st Force Recon.
He says that there was a legit Somali threat to the landing.
The CNN guys knew that the landing was coming, but didn't know exactly when and where.
The CNN crew used THERMAL IMAGING SCOPES to pick out the heat signature of the outboards.  That's how they knew where.  1st Force has since switched SOP to a 7,000m paddle/swim, to avoid this problem in the future.

It was originally reported that they were SEALs.
1st Force appreciated being mislabelled.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Major: What's your take on that? How would you deal with the twenty or so reporters standing there for what seemed to be the sole purpose of compromising the mission? That had to be an odd feeling...
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
There was no shooting, so no harm/no foul.
You expect chaos on the battlefield anyhow, so cameras and lights should not be too much of a problem.
If there had been shooting, the Marines would not have paid much attention to the CNN folks, as the CNN folks would have been busy trying to crawl up their own asses, to hide.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe its just the evil side of me, but....

I hope when the next "real" war comes that the CNN anchor person is standing there with cameras rolling, getting their "exclusive" story,  they get their &%$#& head blown off and the camera captures it.

Friggin' "journalists' who would endanger our soldiers JUSt so they can paste pictures on the evening news first.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess my point is, what are ya' gonna do?

The landing wasn't going to be called off.
The lights and cameras must have sucked, but...
...not as bad as Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Saipan, Okinawa, Inchon etc..
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
wonder how much trouble a marine would have gotten into if they had shot all the light out to help keep the area un-lighted?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Bad Conduct Discharge, Hard Labor, Levenworth.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
Bad Conduct Discharge, Hard Labor, Levenworth.
View Quote

yeah probably right...but where in the constitution does it say "right to know"? ive never seen that right. in somslia is there freedom of the press.  could they have detained them as a "security Risk"?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
hmmm... did you ever notice that when ever a u.s. force is greeted on the beach - they get porked in the butt?  somalia it was the press - in south vietnam it was women with flowers and the arvn's.... a trend?

so next deployment - if we get greeted - be ready for the poop!

steve
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#15]
They did what they should have done, ignore them and make sure there were no armed Somalis in area.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]
...a Butt-Stroke to the jaw would have been appropriate.

...or maybe one of those chemical agents that make you shit your pants.  That would have been nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
The only thing they would of had to have done was make sure the cameras were off then shoot our the lights.  After all who they gonna belive their soilders or a bunch of jounalists.  Better yet say screw them grap their cameras and throw them into the ocean.  Sure the brass is pissed but you made you point.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#18]
couldnt you bring them up on charges of sadition or treason for brodcasting an attack hence providing recon for the enemy? I just dont like the idea of risking the lifes of the men who are there doing there job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Charges, schmarges... This is the media (the Commie News Network, at that) we're talkin about! Nothing sticks to teflon...

I like the chemical agent idea. Not much picture taking when snot is spewing out of your head (from a few CS grenades...) [;)]

Maybe some of those nifty rubber-pellet grenades...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top