Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2001 9:56:52 PM EDT
I have lost a S&W Model 19 357 magnum, and a Beretta Model 92F. This is why I now have a gun safe. Never store guns in the top of a closet, thats the first place a thief will look.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
An X girlfriend broke into my house and got an
AR and a 1911. She broke in the kitchen window
and went out the front door. Her new boyfriend
had driven her over and as they tried to drive
away my neighbor stood in the middle of the road
with his Rifle and told them to wait for the cops or wait for the coroner. The new boyfriend
was an ex cop from Lakeland. The cops let him go. She spent some time in jail. Good neighbors
are a BLESSING.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Every time I see a new gun I want at my dealer, I try to swing a deal with him...(cash/trade)

He always ends up "stealing" one of my guns from me because I don't have enough cash to buy the new one...

Impulse buying has cost me alot of $$$....

I gotta stay away from that damn gun store...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I lost my Python when I was 18...

Roommate  [:(]

Law caught him with it, and he did I think 2 days in the poke, and got 4 years probation.

Got my gun back, but it had a fucking number engraved on the side of the frame from the cops.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
A Ruger Blackhawk .357, the old three screw model. Stolen with ammo and other stuff, like my '78 F250. Went to Mexico for sure(border town). I had to inform the military police and CID since I was working for DOD at the time, also the local PD. I was worried someone would pull this joker over and get shot with my gun. I'll never leave an unattended firearm in a vehicle again, even if there IS supposed to be camera and patrol surveillance.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Sig 226 that I sold to a coworker several years ago. His girlfriend's son (Juvenile delinquent) stole it from him and sold it on the street. Coworker didn't report it stolen after I urged him to since it is against the law to not report a firearm stolen. He told me he reported it which turned out to be a lie. Guess who's door the detectives knocked on when they found the weapon lying next to a homicide victim? that's right...My door! I lost a friend or did I?

John
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you run across a Colt AR15 mdl SP1 ser#SP196781 its mine, stolen in '92. Saint Lucie Co. Sheriffs Dept.
View Quote

You're joking right??? That SP1 with that serial number is sitting in my safe as we speak.
(lol)
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Not me, my brother-in-law.
He lives on a farm out in the sticks.
He used to have one of those nice wood and glass show gun cabinets. It had a couple of duck/turkey shotguns, a couple bolt actions, a couple of revolvers, and a Mini-30 in it.
He came home for lunch one afternoon and found a car he didn't know parked in his driveway. He called the sherrifs office, they dispached a car out to his house.
When they got there they went into the house. They found the gun cabinet had been knocked over and all of the guns had been stolen.
They found out who owned the car, went to that persons house and found almost all of the guns. The mini-30 and a 44 S&W revolver were missing.
They busted 2 teens, there was one more who they couldn't touch.
My brother-in-law bought himself a full sized safe after that.
That happened 5 years ago, last November the police in Spokane recovered his revolver. It had been part of a drug raid. He got it back and it was trashed, it had never been taken care of, the grips were broken and held together with duct tape, the barrel was rusty and the hammer was broke.
Gun Safe!

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a s&w model 13 stolen from me at the range. Turned around and it was gone. I'm a range officer and was clearing the line when I got back it was gone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Had a s&w model 13 stolen from me at the range. Turned around and it was gone. I'm a range officer and was clearing the line when I got back it was gone.
View Quote

Are you still the range master?
j/k
That sux...I would have shut the place down got LE involved ASAP and not let one person leave until searched!

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]
My house was broken into twice in October of 1999.  Both break-ins occurred within 10 days time.  I did not have a gun safe at the time.  I lost the following:

HK USP 40
Rem 700 VSSF 223 Rem
Rem 700 Sendero 270 Win
Benelli M1S90
Ruger 10/22 w/ heavy stainless barrel, Power Custom Action kit, etc
Marlin Model 25 22LR (first gun my dad ever bought for me)
Pre-ban Armscorp M-14

I also lost my laptop computer, 2 TV's, Pioneer receiver, Pioneer CD Changer, VCR, and about $500 of ammo.  All that was left was one shotgun shell and a cleaning rod.  I now have a big gun safe, a security system, and two dogs.  

When ever there is a strange noise outside at night, or a strange car in the driveway, I make sure and go check it out now........with AR-15 in tow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An X girlfriend broke into my house and got an
AR and a 1911...
Her new boyfriend
had driven her over and as they tried to drive
away my neighbor stood in the middle of the road
with his Rifle...
View Quote

McUZI???  Is that you???

Ah, so the truth comes out, HANGFIRE is really McUZI's pappa, that explains the vendetta.

Oh well, like father, like son!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay this will be long so I apologize in advance.  A buddy was traveling through Roland, Oklahoma.  He had his Glock .40 sitting on the seat right next to him just like always.  In Arkansas you can do that because of the "journey" laws but Oklahoma doesn't allow that and he didn't know it.  So he gets stopped for speeding and when the cop comes up to the car my friend politely let him know that it was there and not to be alarmed.  The officer said fine but let me have a look at it.  He runs a check on it and found out it had been stolen from another cop a few years earlier.  Of course he then takes the gun and sends my friend home apparently believing that he did buy it at a pawn shop having no idea it was stolen.  So my friend tries to buy it back from the insurance company but neither they nor this police department will cooperate with him.  After the millionth phone call trying to do this he was finally told that the gun was sold to one of the Roland cops for something like $150.  A GLOCK FOR $150.  Tell me that doesn't sound like a shyster deal!  I guess stuffing it under the seat and keeping your mouth shut IS the best policy after all.  Honesty only works when you're dealing with honest people.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, a kid  broke into my house, looking for guns, (that's what he told the investigator).
He took the one rifle I'd forgotten to put away in the safe, a Mossberg 144LS.
The dumb shit also tried to jimmy the safe open, a Browning Silver Series ProSteel. Needless to say, he failed.
The item that got him caught was an old Derringer style cigarette lighter he'd grabbed & stuck in his pocket, worth maybe $8.00 or $10.00. Funny thing was he had to reach across a $450.00 knife just to get it! Go figure.
He was ID'ed & picked within a couple of hours of the break-in, sweated, & copped to the deed.
I had my rifle back within a few days, undamaged. The investigator seemed intriqued with the lighter, so I let him keep it.
The "kid" was tried as an adult, sentenced to 3.5 years, did 11.5 months inside & the remainder on parole.
Needless to say, I now make sure all my weopons (including knives) are secure before leaving the house.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in 83 I lost a Ruger Security Six, a 10/22, and my 870. The theif lifted the sliding glass door off of my apartment got the guns and my stereo and just generally trashed the apartment. I had all the numbers and ask the cops to take fingerprints because there was a full palm print clearly visable on the glass door. The female officer told me "we dont take fingerprints on domestic burglaries." Needless to say I was pissed. Two weeks later the Mayors house was robbed in the same manner and they caught the kid who did it. How did they catch him you might ask.....from the effin fingerprints they took at the scene. Oh well. The NRA did pay me $150 after filing all the paperwork with them which at the time at least got me another 870 in time for dove season.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
About 12 years ago I came home from a reunion dinner to find my back door forced open and a bunch of stuff piled up on the kitchen floor.

I didn't have a gun with me so I carefully crept around the house looking for perps, but they were gone.  So was my TV, stereo, computer, microwave oven, and 6 or 7 guns - they were out of my safe because I was shooting them the day before.  It was obvious that they had made several trips, and were coming back.  But they couldn't do anything with my safe, so I opened it, got out a .357, and crouched in the dark waiting for them to come back.  I heard a car pull up in front, but it quickly sped away.

Among the guns that were stolen were a Sig P226, and M1 carbine, an S&W M60, and a Winchester M77, which is a tube-fed .22 semi.

About a year ago I get a phone message from an LAPD detective who says they have one of my guns.  I show up at the station and they give me a short, little box.  When I opened it I found the Winchester M77, but stock had been sawed off and it was generally trashed.  The cops told me some LA Co. Sheriffs had recovered it from some gang bangers out in Lancaster.

A couple of months later I'm watching "Cops" on my new TV and I see some LASD deputies roust some vatos when, lo and behold, they pull a chopped down .22 rifle out of their car.  A camera close-up showed that it was my Winchester M77 alright - same sawed off stock and broken trigger guard.  They cuffed and arrested these pendejos and seized the gun.

The poor rifle is so thrashed that it's not worth fixing.  I display in in my living room with the police evidence tag still on it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I had my Feather AT-22 & AT-9 stolen a few years back.....but not from my house.  (I keep all my guns in a safe.)  I errantly lent them to a good friend who did not have a safe and they, along with all of his guns & stuff, were stolen.

Moral of the story, don't lend your guns out unless you  don't mind losing them, and if you do loan them out, make sure the lendee has a safe to store them in.

MG
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Gentlemen,

I think it is best put using an American colloquialism:

"You ain't seen nothin' yet".

I believe that says it all.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
My excommunicated sister and her fugitive from justice boyfriend stole from me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#20]
March 1, 2001 stolen from my home,I live 30 miles east of Kingman AZ off I-40 5 miles of dirt road north ,you would think you would not have to hide your firearms this far out in the middle of no ware. gone are 10/22 ruger #11682864 ,Win auto 12ga m 140 #n1068693,Colt 45acp M1991a1#2741355,T/C System -1 58cal BP #8442,Rem 03a3 3006 #4083611,I went to get the mail, Iwas gone for one hour .AS FOR MOHAVE COUNTY S#$T FOR SHERFF Dept did not take any fingerprints like a post that i seen from TX ,MAYBE a LEO can tell US HOW COME they don,t?.I just got letter MCSO DATE JUNE18,2001 today it says DEAR (my name) On 3-1-01 you report(see attached list) stolen We have entered the information regarding this property in the Arizona Criminal Justice System ??????? TODAY 25th ????? .I had the AR with me .
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're out in the middle of nowhere I suppose it'd be easier to watch you come and go and be able to tell when you are not home. Sorry for your loss, hope you get a safe although next time they may bring a tow truck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I took my family camping in a remote area in 1986. We went fishing in the afternoon, and I left my S&W 586 in the trailer. When we returned, my pistol and most of our food was gone. They caught the guy about 2 MO. later, a self styled "mountain man". Turns out he was wanted in UT. for killing his girlfriends young son. I got my pistol back about 6MO later. Now, when I'm in the woods, the pistol stays ON me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#23]
once a guy tried to steal my defense 870, but only got away with 10 loads of buckshot. not really,

a friend of mine lost a ruger 10/22 anneversary edition.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I lost a Llama .38 Super once to the Police.
I tried my best to get it back, but they said since it had been used in a crime, they had to keep it.
The crime? Me having it in my car.[V]
Supposedly it was do be "destroyed".

I also lost a Stainless Detonics .45 to a "friend". He ended up waving it around in a crowded bar in a different town, and did some time for it. That one got "destroyed" too.

I have gotten some back after going through the system, though. Ones the Sheriff didn't want for himself I think. A Lorcin .25, one of my 10/22s, and an Intratec CAT-9 have all gotten returned to me.

I wish I still had that Detonics. It was a good one.[:(]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a cheap little Davis D-32 derringer stolen from my truck along with cell phone and some other small items...........got most of it back including the derringer.

My psycho ex-wife also stole a S&W M-19 .357 mag and a Beretta M-21 .22 from me when we divorced.

Actually had the nerve to try and convince me that I sold each of them.

The Model 19 was the first handgun I ever bought.

I hope she keeps it by her bedside for those really depressed nights she has all the time[}:D]  [kill]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
in about '94, i was at work and i got a phone call. it was my fiance, she said , in a panniced voice, "john! the nieghbors just saw a bunch of teenagers coming out of our apartment with GUNS in their hands!"

i immediately slammed down the phone, and started m-f-ing, and kicking shelves and turning over tables. all i could think of was a bunch of wanna-be gang-bangers fantasizing about doing drive-bys with MY ar's and ak's. my co-workers and some customers, stared in stunned amazement.
i ran and got my keys and jacket, when one of the guys said i had an emergency call. he handed me the phone, and my fiance said- "april fool."

she STILL thinks that was funny- hopefully i will finally be divorced in another month or so.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
pbrstreetgang, man, I doubt she'd have stayed my fiance after that!! Holy $hit is that cruel!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
pbrstreetgang, man, I doubt she'd have stayed my fiance after that!! Holy $hit is that cruel!
View Quote

Wow.....
I can honestly say my Wife would never do that. She knows better! That would be like me calling her and telling her that her Father was just killed in a car wreck....

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, about 15 years ago:

My very first .22 (Remington 514), given to me by my dad for learning the multiplication tables up to 12.

My very first shotgun (Remington 870 mag), given to me by my grandfather when I turned sixteen.

My very first high powered rifle (Remington Mod. 700 ADL .270) payed for with paper route and yard work money.

My very first .22 auto rifle (Remington Nylon 66) payed for with money earned from my first summer job at the Winchester Public Park in Dallas.

My grandfather's L. C. Smith Dbl. barrelled shotgun given to me when he died.

My other grandfather's Remington 1100 shotgun given to me when he died.

My first ever .45 acp Colt Government Model 1911, serial number less than 400,000.  Given to me by my mother.

My best friend's Colt MK IV Series 70 Gold Cup National Match .45 acp.  Given to me after he died.

My 6" blue Colt Python .357 mag.

And almost everything else in the house.

Only the 1100 and the Python have been recovered.

If I ever find the son-of-a-bitch, I'd like to march him out into the middle of a black topped parking lot in mid August, gut shoot him and let him bleed to death on the pavement.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow.....
I can honestly say my Wife would never do that. She knows better! That would be like me calling her and telling her that her Father was just killed in a car wreck....

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
View Quote

i'm not that good a liar.[:\]

both her old cell phone and new home phone have 666 in 'em. i guess i shoulda known.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#32]
The wife and I tried to help out some young people once upon a time.  Our payback was them breaking in and stealing her handgun along with its nightstand safe. (They couldn't get into the Browning to get at the rest of the guns.) Word leaked out fast about who had done the deed and the cops were hot on the trail.  The gun changed hands 5 or 6 times in a couple of weeks and the cops were always a step behind.  They did recover the gun and we got it back only slightly damaged.  We already had the insurance check in our hand when we got the gun back.  Was a special gun, so glad to have it instead.

While the cops were looking for our gun they kept telling us they had our gun, a Ruger Auto.  No, that isn't ours.  Months later we found out it was our next door neighbors who had been robbed at the same time, but they didn't know the serial number and couldn't claim it.  YEARS later the cops called us up and told us to come pick up our Ruger Auto.  We go down and claim it and then turn it over to its rightful owner.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
View Quote

Are you still the range master?
j/k
That sux...I would have shut the place down got LE involved ASAP and not let one person leave until searched!
Yes I'm still a range officer, the gun was mine. We did look around and check out some people asked questions, but with people comming and going its almost impossible.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Beagles747, When we were at a shoot in your neck of the woods the desert classics in rio salado in mesa az. Rob leatham's gun got stolen from under the tent. They were pissed but did'nt really even look around. If they could'nt shut down the range(with the man power their)dont think we would have much luck either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top