Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 6:56:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A while back, this kid had an idea for a science experiment.
He took 2 seperate cages each containing 5 mice.
In one cage, he blasted heavy metal music, traffic noise, and construction noise from a small tape player every 2 hours for 30 Minutes, 16 Hours a day.
In the other cage, he did the same, only instead of Metal and traffic, he played light classical, and soothing nature sounds.

After 5 days, the mice in the cage with the incessand noise began to eat eachother.
The mice in the cage with the soothing sounds exhibited very, relaxed behavior.

He showed the results to his science teacher, who realized that this young boy had made a very important scientific discovery in mammal behavior.
It has since been extensivley researched.

Point?
The cop was from NYC.
People from NYC are barely human. They are in exhibit "animal" behavior due to thier enviroment they have been raised in.
It's sad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe that the NYT would stoop to such a new low.  This one sided slant story is  one you could expect to read in some Prince Georges County (MD) local newsrag.  They didn't even bother to get the other side of the story before going to press.  How do they know that this wasn't accomplished by the hand of another unknown assailant and made to look like a murder-suicide?  Was the event videotaped?  Shouldn't they be looking for the real killer?  I would be sure that the real killer is one of those LEO bashers out there.  Maybe OJ can lend a hand to find the real killer.

SinistralR,

I hate to ask this but from reading the title of the post with the content, are you making a LEO bashing (albeit almost subtley) statement here?

Besides I smell a serious scam here...Note how the NYT refers to a revolver as the weapon that did the killing?  Newy Ork city has been issuing auto-loaders for the better part of a decade now.  This must be the work of a "Basher"
rDAm
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Besides I smell a serious scam here...Note how the NYT refers to a revolver as the weapon that did the killing?  Newy Ork city has been issuing auto-loaders for the better part of a decade now.  This must be the work of a "Basher"
rDAm
View Quote

The revolver could have been a "back-up" or a
"throw-down."
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Good another person who does not have the tunnel vision like so many of are ar-15 brothers(Talking about Invictus.). You know you people make me sick if it's anything agents the PD your all over it like fly's on shit. Your just as bad as the anti-gun people. Sorry your worse then them because you know how one sided the fight for your freedom of a firearms are and you know the media is anti-gun and anti-cop and you fall right in to it. Invictus nice to have another defender of police on here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Amen Brother Tayous,

Hangfire,

Dammit man, there is so much effort expended in trying to assure the public there is no such thing as "throw-downs", then you say this?  What would your chief say if he heard you stating something (publicly) along the lines that someone might have used a "throw-down" (which they wouldn't, cause they don't exist, strictly Hollywood/Urban Legend)  I bet he would have the ass at you.

Lets all read the music from the same sheet here!  Anti Police Hate crime sounds better, and hey there really isn't any PROOF that it was anything else.
rDAm
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
That story was on my local news website, I'm surprised the more "web-savvy" missed it.

It sounds bad. Just the kind of story that gives anti-firearm peole and domestic violence people the ability to say "see it can happen to anyone..........."

On police weapons competence. I think you'll find police have a wide variance in skills. Some would never own or handle a weapon except for being an officer and some would have weapons whether or not they were an officer.

Violating rights, if you talk about knowingly intentionally, or by doing something that recklessly disregards rights there should be punishment. But sometimes police officers have to walk a fine line. If they do something that takes 10 lawyers 3 judges and 5 court hearing to determine wasn't right that shouldn't be punished. The officer had seconds or minutes to decide what to do. Then "legal proffesionals" took a great deal of time and study to determine whether or not the action was correct.  

I've read more than a few appeals that said the police executed an illegal search, and the basis of the search was a defective warrant. Would that be an individual officers fault?

I think that if you are a crime victim you want a thourough agressive search. If you are a citizen involved in an investigation you want to be treated properly by the police. If you are a suspect you expect the police to legally "do what they have to do" A police officer may have difficulty balancing all those interests.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]
50% of all police deaths are by their own hand, and most take their families with them, but the media will not report on this public safety issue!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Well folks check this story out.  Here in Calif. the police get a special exemption for possesion of assualt weapons & Sat. Nite Spls.  I think that the politicians include these exemptions to the gun laws to get endorsements from some of the law-enforcement community.
===============================================================
LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20010624/t000052321.html

Sunday, June 24, 2001

LAPD Officer Kills Boyfriend of Former Lover, Self

From Times Staff Writers

An off-duty Los Angeles police officer fatally shot his
ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend in front of the man's Simi Valley home
Saturday and then took his own life, authorities said.
    Geno Patrick Colello, a 35-year-old Rampart Division officer who also
lived in Simi Valley, and Keith Thomas Ewing, a 34-year-old computer
technician, both died at the scene, authorities said.
    "I heard something that sounded like fireworks, like five, six or
seven bangs, and then I saw my neighbor dead in his driveway and another
man dead in a truck," said Jeff Thompson, who lives across the street.
    Colello, a seven-year LAPD veteran, had been angry that the woman was
dating Ewing, said Simi Valley Police Sgt. Bob Gardner.
    Police rushed to the neighborhood near Rancho Simi Community Park
about 3 p.m. after several residents called 911 and reported hearing shots
in the 1800 block of Sutter Avenue, Gardner said.
    Witnesses said Colello pulled in front of Ewing's house in a pickup
truck, fired at least five shots at Ewing, who was outside washing his own
pickup truck, and then turned the gun on himself.
    Officers found Ewing lying face-down in the driveway, bleeding so
profusely that a trail of blood flowed to the street. Colello was slumped
in the front seat of his truck, parked on the street.
    Officers couldn't immediately tell if Colello was dead, so they used
hand-held bulletproof shields to slowly advance toward his truck,
authorities said.
    Half a dozen residents were evacuated from their homes and an
ambulance was ordered to wait a block away until officers secured the
scene.
    Inside the truck, police found Colello dead from a gunshot wound to
the head and a large-caliber semiautomatic pistol at his side, Gardner
said.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Authorities said Colello had lived with Diane Williams, his
ex-girlfriend, for about four years before she left him and moved into her
own home. Williams had been dating Ewing for several months, neighbors
said. She was not at the scene when the shooting occurred, police said.
    About two hours after the shootings, Williams arrived at the scene
and broke down when officers told her what had occurred. She was consoled
by a chaplain before leaving the area.
    Colello's uncle, Robert Brunton of Simi Valley, said his nephew was
an outgoing and well-liked man and that family members, including
Colello's father, a retired LAPD officer, were devastated by the news.
    In 1996, Colello, who was a rookie officer in the San Fernando Valley
at the time, shot and killed a 48-year-old man on parole for a double
murder, LAPD Lt. Horace Frank said Saturday.
    The parolee, William Betzner, has been rummaging through a
construction site when Colello and his partner stopped and questioned him.
Betzner jumped into a car and sped away with Colello partially stuck
inside. Colello shot and killed him.
    Frank said late Saturday that he did not know the outcome of the
internal investigation into the shooting. Colello was assigned to the
Rampart Division in March 1997 and had been working in the community
relations division.
    Aaron Rice, a Sutter Avenue resident, said he and a roommate were
returning home from the store shortly before 3 p.m. when they saw Ewing
washing his truck in his driveway.
    Rice entered his house and a few minutes later heard several cracks
of gunfire.
    "It's so weird," he said. "I just spoke to the dude and I was
probably the last person to talk to him."

Times staff writers Holly J. Wolcott and Timothy Hughes reported this
story.

Copyright 2001 Los Angeles Times
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well folks check this story out.  Here in Calif. the police get a special exemption for possesion of assualt weapons & Sat. Nite Spls.  
View Quote

are you sure? I thought one of the biggest talkers on one of the nra commercials was a kali-cop who got raided/jailed/robbed by the cops for his mak90?

An off-duty narcotics detective, Rampart Division officer
View Quote

hmmm..
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well folks check this story out.  Here in Calif. the police get a special exemption for possesion of assualt weapons & Sat. Nite Spls.  
View Quote

are you sure? I thought one of the biggest talkers on one of the nra commercials was a kali-cop who got raided/jailed/robbed by the cops for his mak90?

An off-duty narcotics detective, Rampart Division officer
View Quote

hmmm..
View Quote

Ooops! I am wrong! I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Well just to let you know that it happens up here in Canada as well.  It seems that with all the gun control we have the police still find ways to get guns and kill their women..

News reports today of an RCMPolice Officer arrested near Montreal for shooting
into a vehicle containing a woman and three men.  The woman was killed.  A 42
year old RCMPolice Officer was arrested.

Oh in case you were wondering the RCMP are our NATIONAL police force, you know the Mounties?  "We always get our man" was their motto....hmmm guess it includes women now!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe the CA SBR 23(?IIRC) exempts DUTY weapons for CA cops. And one of the first people prosecuted, and I believe found not guilty was a CA cop, who is in NRA videos, it was not a duty weapon it was his personal weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top