Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 5:52:57 PM EDT
After field stripping it, I had quite a time putting the slide back on the frame. The feed ramp seemed to keep catching where the locking lug engages. After a few tries it went back on smoothly. I was wondering if this is normal or not?

My next question. When pulling the slide to the rear and riding it a little forward, it does not go into battery all the way. If I let it snap shut there is no problem. But if I help it along, just a little it won’t go all the way. Again is this normal?

I haven’t taken it to the range yet but am hoping that putting a few hundred rounds through her will smooth out these little quirks. Any advice or information would be appreciated. I tried to regester at the Sig message board, but its not working.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't sound like anything's wrong.  It's all normal.  The barrel may not have been completely seated in the slide, or something like that.  If it went together, odds are it's OK.  If it was broke it would have just kept doing whatever it was doing and not went together.  

The slide not going to battery is normal with most autos when you ride the slide forward.  That's why they tell you not to do that.  It's all designed on the mass and momentum of the slide assembly moving freely.  Riding the slide slows it all down.

You'll like it when you get it to the range.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it new or used?
Sounds like the recoil spring may not have been pressed into its recess all the way when you say the slide caught upon reassembly.
My 226 and the 220 before it never stuck out of battery even when riding all the way forward. I would replace the recoil spring, assuming the pistol was not unusually dirty when you did this.
Try posting this in the maintenance/cleaning forum for more responses.
Regards,
CS
As Ross said, you generally don't want to ride the slide. However, when you did so or when you cycle the slide does it feel rough or does it catch at any point?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I had the same problem on assembly with my P220.  I took it to my gunsmith and he said that is just the way they go together and showed me on another.  You just have to slap the slide all the way back.  As for riding the slide forward, I've never had the problem you are, but as has been stated, riding the slide is not a good idea, especially if you are chambering a round.  You'll love it.  I have a P220 and a P228 and they are great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top