User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 4:19:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It takes more than just a single school.  A military or law enforcement spec ops background is almost mandatory.  
Emergency medical training at least at the basic EMT level is a plus.  Language skills are a bonus.  Martial arts, investigative experience, overseas travel or residency are all valued.  
Maturity the most important asset.  Gun skills are one of the least important at entry because they can be taught/developed. Basically, if you have to use your gun you've screwed up.  However if you need your gun, you really need your gun, BAD!
Best civilian schools are ESI, Ltd in CO and T.E.E.S in Memphis.  Both have good WEB sites.
I attended my first school in 1985 in Gainesville, GA the now defunct (Essex) Institute of Public Service.  It was a 15 day basic school.  At the time I had been in LE for 5 years, on a SWAT team for 3 and was assigned to Protective Services and had other supporting experience.
I have also attended the 2 above schools and several others, including special 3 and 5 day schools hosted by the Secret Service.
Most jobs are in large population centers, especially when starting out.
And it ain't as glamorous as the movies make it look, by far.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is who I use [:D][:D][:D] :

[img]http://www.spe.sony.com/tv/shows/vip/photo_gallery/images/973287538_329848.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.spe.sony.com/tv/shows/vip/[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have enlisted the services of the finest bodyguard known to man....

NSFJOJO !!!!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it ain't as glamorous as the movies make it look, by far.
[X] [X]
View Quote

Even though I know nothing about it, I told him it'd probably be about as exciting as being a private investigator, know a few of them and they all say it's boring.

I found the ESI website. I think after I give him the $ amount, plus all the other requirements he'll drop the idea.
View Quote

Starting out, a newbie can expect to draw all the worst details i.e.- taking the protectee's wife/girlfriend shopping; driving the kids to school; having to pull most of the down time shifts and still be available for important events or functions.  This is on a normal, preventive detail with no active threat.  When the threat level goes up, the new guys are pushed even further away from the principal and end up on roof tops, door details, running food and drink resupplies or at empty residences,etc.
However, if he stays with it for several years, get experience and training and can hook up with a large company it can be rewarding.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Visit the following site for info on this topic [url]www.bounty-hunter.net
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Nearly all EP companies will use only people with a military background, preferably spec-ops. They don't need to hire civilians because there is no shortage of qualified people. Their current employees always have friends ETSing or retiring.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top