Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2001 2:19:03 PM EDT
then I thought I'd just ask why people who like it feel that way so maybe I would learn something.

To me it seems boring, always turning left, no shifting (except for two races), no standing start, no racing in the rain, and not the fastest speeds.  Hell, they don't even use brakes most of the time.

I find the best (most entertaining) racing to be F1, Superbike and GP bike, and world ralley racing.  You have standing starts, race regardless of weather, lots of skill required by the driver.  Bike racers have the biggest nads of all.  Ralley races are just insane.  F1 you go from 200mph to 30 to make a hairpin turn. That is exciting stuff.  NASCAR you just turn left and lift the throttle in the turn.  I just don't get it.

Can someone tell me what I am not getting?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you won't say it , I will...Nascar does suck.[sleep] I'll take CART, NHRA, Motocross,Supercross any day. (Just one man's opinion.)
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I [u]used[/u] to be a NASCAR fan but the last few years have gotten to be more irritating.  Now that it's moved to FOX nd D. Waltrip and L. McReynolds are commentating I think they should re-name it 'NASCAR Chat Live'!!  They never shut up, it wouldn't surprise me if they start having people call in live during the race.  And the commercials!!!!!!!!  There are more commercials than racing!!!!!!!  Don't even get me started about the vehicle regulations and the 'level playing field' crap!

[b][red]F1[/red] rules racing in my opinion!![/b]  F1 is just incredible to watch, I hold my breath almost every turn for the whole race.  The commentating is pretty interesting too, the guys don't seem to pull any 'punches' when talking about teams or drivers.

FIA World Rally racing is pretty cool to watch too!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
For any of you who say NASCAR sucks or it's not a sport.  Say what you like. WE CAN"T HEAR YOU!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont second guess yourself Ratters, IT DOES SUCK !!!!
I'm with Mach1 on this one...
[x]
rifles4me, if you turn down the banjo music that might help.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Kevin,

At least you get to see it live at 7:30am out there.  I'm up at 4:30 to watch the race.  My wife thinks I'm nuts but as I have been doing it for years now she can't get me to stop.

I actually got to see a race in France a couple years ago.  It was how my wife got me to go to Europe with her.  Damn those things are loud.  Louder than anything I have heard here including NHRA.  When they shift it makes a popping sound that you can feel in the air.

We are going to Hungry next year to see the race at the Hungaroring.  Budapest is a great city and I am actually looking forward to going back there.

BTW, World ralley, I think those guys have got to be the best drivers in the world.  All surfaces and conditions.  Schumacher is great but put both in equal cars and I think Tommy Makkinen is the first to the 7-11.

OK, NASCAR sucks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I never got into watching the big time racing.  I rather just visit a local short track and see the local guys run.  

OSA
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody that shoots NRA/CMP Highpower Service Rifle, has to like NASCAR. It's somewhere in the NASCAR by-laws...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
NASCAB sucks the big one.

Today was a perfect Sunday.

6:30AM F1
1:00PM World Rally
3:00PM CART

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Geez, I thought we had more NASCAR fans than this.  There were a ton of posts when that Dale guy died.  Where are you folks?

BTW, when Ayrton Senna died, the country of Brazil shut down for three days to mourn.  My friends parents were living there at the time and said it was just incredible the impact it had on the nation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Never been a race fan either.  To me, it would seem just as exciting to sit on the side of the highway, drink beer and watch the cars go by.  There must be something exciting about it, though, because it draws more fans than almost any other sport.  Friends tell me that if you ever see a race live you will become a fan.  Maybe I will have to try that....plus, I hear that girls love to flash their breasts at races....anything that involves that could definately be fun!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#12]
OK Yellow Lab, now there is a reason.  White trash chicks flashing breasts.  Anyone have anything else?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Geez, I thought we had more NASCAR fans than this.  There were a ton of posts when that Dale guy died.  Where are you folks?
View Quote

Your confusing the series and the drivers. All drivers are cut from the cloth. I think you'd have trouble finding a race fan that didn't mourn Dale's death even if they weren't a NASCAR fan.

FYI back when Senna died the winner of the NASCAR race did do a tribute to him. (I don't remember what).
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Dittos!
Almost every other kind of racing beats NASCAR.
The only race I can watch is the one in California where they mix in a few right hand turns.
My guess is you can get all liquored up and you still won't miss anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll just say I like all motor sports.  Growing up in the era of muscle cars and at a time when you could get away with hotrodding on the street to some extent hooked me on speed.

Nascar is boring to some, driving in circles but it does usually have many lead changes and alot of bumping and banging.

Drags are great for pure speed and the smell of burning rubber and nitro in the air but hell they don't even turn till after the race.

F1 and Cart and IRL are marvels of modern technology.  Fast, and beautiful, but often the races especially F1 can be boring.  With the exception of the standing start with everyone trying to be the leader in turn one you hardly ever see any lead changes or passing generally who ever takes the lead keeps it for the whole race. (note: I did say generally)

Everyone has their likes and dislikes, I like em all regardless of the flaws that each of them have.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey....I am from Mississippi....what do you expect???
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nascar is boring to some, driving in circles but it does usually have many lead changes and alot of bumping and banging.
View Quote

Rubbin is Racin! (sorry had to take a shot)

F1 and Cart and IRL are marvels of modern technology.  Fast, and beautiful, but often the races especially F1 can be boring.  With the exception of the standing start with everyone trying to be the leader in turn one you hardly ever see any lead changes or passing generally who ever takes the lead keeps it for the whole race. (note: I did say generally)
View Quote

How dare you put the IRL in the same league as F1 and CART.

The standing starts in F1 have been totally f#^%ed up with traction control.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Janus- that is true, but I remember there being fans posting as well.

SS109- LOL.  I actually went to the Sears Point race last year.  It is actually kinda fun to watch because they are using a skill they don't practice very much.  The race was here again this weekend which is what made me think of the topic.

Bootedaddy-  F1 can be a parade sometimes but the past couple of years have actually been pretty competetive.  It is good to see Williams coming back around.  Our pet rat was named after Ralf Schumacher.  

And now we have reason number two, lead changes and bumping and banging. (That is one of the reasons I love watching motorcycle racing, lot of passing)  Anything else?

Janus- Too true about the traction control thing, I hope they get rid of it.  The FIA ruling body sucks BTW.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree that IRL in a way shouldn't be clumped in with F1 and CART.  No they don't have the technology, they're open wheeled racing on a budget.  A big budget mind you but still a budget.  I just put it in with them because it's open wheel and touching wheels is a no no.

And yes I love bikes too.  I've done some motorcross and enduros, great fun.  I ride a harley now, and have had some jap bikes in the past and love the rush of scrapping the foot pegs digging hard in a corner.  But I respect the motorcycle flat trackers, to run wide open down the straits and throw it sideways in the corner, balls I tell ya. I never could get the hang of that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
At least NASCAR uses real American V-8 engines with real American 4 bbl carbs. and 4 speed shifters sticking out of the floor like American race cars should. The cars may look all look  alike but they have real American car names on them and the drivers have real American names on them, too. IRL, CART and F-1 cars don't even sound like cars but a bunch of angry bees. Can't stand that sound.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Tie a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb your legs and eat your candy ass.
As close as I can remember a line from big E talking about drivers who wanted more restrictor plate races. People that enjoy NASCAR now probably have watching it for a number of years.
 I think today's race was the last of the season for Fox.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For any of you who say NASCAR sucks or it's not a sport.  Say what you like. WE CAN"T HEAR YOU!
View Quote

Cute.  Quote one of the ridiculous commercials.  How original.  NASCAR=WCW on Wheels.

Quoted:
At least NASCAR uses real American V-8 engines with real American 4 bbl carbs. and 4 speed shifters sticking out of the floor like American race cars should. The cars may look all look alike but they have real American car names on them and the drivers have real American names on them, too. IRL, CART and F-1 cars don't even sound like cars but a bunch of angry bees. Can't stand that sound.
View Quote

You can stick a name on anything and it doesn't mean squat.  Name one of the street car equivilants of the so called 'cars' that they race in BORECAR that has real wheel drive, you can get a manual tranny, that has a carburetor, and, except for the Taurus SHO, you can even get a V8 in.  For that matter, how many American 'hot rods' even have manual tranny's for that matter.  Most I see, even in Corvettes, Camaros, and Firebirds are 95 percent automatic.  What they 'race' in BORECAR is absolutely not representative of the street car, whereas the GT classes in GrandAm and the American LeMans series are actually modified street cars.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]
SCCA is more authentic than Neck-Car. I can't believe they call it "stock" car racing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to like stock car racing when I was younger, but NASCAR isn't the same.  When I was a kid, stock cars were stock.  They buy a car from the dealer, slap a roll bar in it and put on slicks, and then go racing.  There are several things wrong with NASCAR today:

1 - The rule book is written in pencil.
2 - Cars have nothing in common with street names.
3 - They only turn left. (most races)
4 - Restricter plates, short tracks, etc.

I would rather watch old people racing their Rascal scooters than sit thru an IRL race.  If I want to see slow rookies, I'll watch Indy Lights.  CART and F1 are excellent racing.  I much prefer touring cars, but only see them on SpeedVision.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]
yup, the was Big E. he was talking about people wanting to slow the racing down period tp make it more safe. man, his death hit me hard.

i am an avid racing fan. anything that goes fast, i like to watch. ive been to several NHRA, Winston Cup, Busch Series, IRL, Craftsman Truck, and one cancelled CART race. i tell you this, they are all fantastic. however, NASCAR holds my attention the best. it didnt at all at first, it was just going fast and left. you have to get to know the physics, techniques, and drivers to be a true fan. in open wheel racing, drafting doesnt help, therefor they stay more spread out. passing has to be clean, so, they only pass when they have plenty of room. yeah, they are faster, and thats cool, if thats all you want to watch. a bunch of cars going fast. i urge everyone to get to know the details about a type of racing before you say it sucks. i thought open wheel racing sucked till i went to one and got to go in the garage and meet eddie cheever. i can call myself an IRL fan now. im hoping the CART race at ft worth gets rescheduled, or maybe ill go to the one in houston. however, to me racing with a little contact is more interesting. i feel like NASCAR involves just a little more technique. here's the key, when you watch a race, pick a driver to watch,probably your favorite. if you dont know any of them, pick one that qualified up front and root for him. i love taking someone who is not a fan to a race and gettng them interested. it'll be fun! i guarantee.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
HEY MAN WATTA YOU TALKIN ABOUT!!! NASCAR is almost as exciting as watching golf or going to the dentist...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i am an avid racing fan. anything that goes fast, i like to watch. ive been to several NHRA, Winston Cup, Busch Series, IRL, Craftsman Truck, and one cancelled CART race. i tell you this, they are all fantastic. however, NASCAR holds my attention the best. it didnt at all at first, it was just going fast and left. you have to get to know the physics, techniques, and drivers to be a true fan. in open wheel racing, drafting doesnt help, therefor they stay more spread out. passing has to be clean, so, they only pass when they have plenty of room. yeah, they are faster, and thats cool, if thats all you want to watch. a bunch of cars going fast. i urge everyone to get to know the details about a type of racing before you say it sucks. i thought open wheel racing sucked till i went to one and got to go in the garage and meet eddie cheever. i can call myself an IRL fan now. im hoping the CART race at ft worth gets rescheduled, or maybe ill go to the one in houston. however, to me racing with a little contact is more interesting. i feel like NASCAR involves just a little more technique. here's the key, when you watch a race, pick a driver to watch,probably your favorite. if you dont know any of them, pick one that qualified up front and root for him. i love taking someone who is not a fan to a race and gettng them interested. it'll be fun! i guarantee.
View Quote

That's funny, referring to technique when talking about oval racing, which according to your post, is all you've ever attended.  There is no technique to driving an oval.  If you've seen one lap, you've seen them all.  People pass on ovals due to having more HP, not driver skill.  I am a corner worker and I used to race, so I think I know a little bit about the subject.  I DID get to know all I could about BORECAR before I decided it sucked.  At Daytona and Charlotte, we use the infield road course and most of the oval at each place.  When you get onto the oval is the only time you get to relax because there is nothing to it.  Before you bring up speed, the Prototypes at the Rolex24 at Daytona are hitting 215-220 by the starters stand and that is after coming out of the chicane on the back straight and that also includes braking like a mother to slow down to about 60 to turn into the infield at the end of the pits.  Everything you mentioned in your post is about ovals.  There is far more technique required to driving road courses.  You actually have to drive.  You a shifting, braking, going up hills and down hills, and you are actually turning the car left and right.
Quoted:
View Quote

Well if I called a full course caution every time someone sneezed or if certain people got too far behind, I could have lots of lead changes too.  Can you say SCRIPTED?  Bumping and banging has no place on the track.  You beat the other guy by outdriving him or having more HP, not by knocking him out of the way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Larry, you're a corner worker? who said anything about prostitution?
no, but seriously folks, ill be here all night.

i didnt say any kind of racing sucked. you got a little defensive there didnt you. i think i said if it goes fast i like it. road racing is great.

i was merely trying to answer Ratters question.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
  I remember watching Richard Petty racing in the late sixties and I have been a NASCAR/Winston Cup fan ever since!

I am a huge fan of just about any type of automotive style racing with Winston Cup at the helm and NHRA a close second and then World of Outlaws third.  
  For those of you who claim stock cars are boring I believe that you just do not fully understand the dynamics of these race cars.  Think of it this way:  Try driving your car at 80 miles per hour, through rush hour traffic, on snow packed roadways.  This is akin to what the NASCAR boys do week in week out.  

Next time you watch a stock car race try to pay a little bit more attention to the handling of the car and the "in car" camera shots and really get a clue as to what these drivers are going through for 500 miles.  Its kind of like the old Hockey arguement  "Hockey is boring because I cannot see the primary object of attention,  the PUCK"    Real purist DO see the puck and real racing purist  DO see the little things that makes NASCAR so exciting.  :):)
EX GI  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh yeah, NASCAR sucks and ARCA is even worse! I'll take World Rally, Superbike, Touring Cars, American LeMans any day!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I like all kinds of racing even airplane and boat racing.  I am a true speed freak right down to street racing my '94 Z28.  I really like NASCAR.  Yes, the rules do tend to screw things up and they mostly turn left.  However, nearly everyone who says they don't like it just haven't ever been to a race.  Serously, I've seen people change their minds instantly after attending a race.  Also, it really helps when you get to know some of the driver's personalities and the different styles they have.  If you just see it as cars with numbers on the sides going in circles then you really haven't experienced the sport in its entirety.

As for horsepower, most NASCAR teams are virtually equal with approximately 750 HP.  Passes don't occur because someone has more HP but because someone is handling better.  The cars are VERY tuneable.  They can raise and lower each corner of the car to re-distribute the weight or change tire pressures or flare the front fenders to get more downforce or any one of many other aspects of their race setup.  A team who can handle better will carry more momentum through a corner and will have a higher exit speed from the turn.  THAT is how passes are made.

Its a different sport and you just can't compare 3400 lb stock cars with open wheel cars that weight half as much.  Apples and oranges!  I guarantee the so called higher skilled drivers you refer to would have their hands full trying to make a heavier car turn.

You can ignore everything else I've said but listen to my last point.  Millions of people are spending billions of dollars every year on this sport.  That alone ought to make you take another hard look from perhaps a different angle.  I suggest jumping into it  a little deeper and getting to know the drivers and their personalities and hopefully attend an actual race before you pass judgement on something that you just don't know a lot about yet.  Like me for instance, I don't know a lot about the AR-15 rifle but I'm here to learn as much as I can about it before I say it is the best semi-automatic in the world.

Remember #3 - Thanks for the really cool memories Dale!  You will always be missed.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By EX GI:
  I remember watching Richard Petty racing in the late sixties and I have been a NASCAR/Winston Cup fan ever since!

I am a huge fan of just about any type of automotive style racing with Winston Cup at the helm and NHRA a close second and then World of Outlaws third.  
  For those of you who claim stock cars are boring I believe that you just do not fully understand the dynamics of these race cars.  Think of it this way:  Try driving your car at 80 miles per hour, through rush hour traffic, on snow packed roadways.  This is akin to what the NASCAR boys do week in week out.  

Next time you watch a stock car race try to pay a little bit more attention to the handling of the car and the "in car" camera shots and really get a clue as to what these drivers are going through for 500 miles.  Its kind of like the old Hockey arguement  "Hockey is boring because I cannot see the primary object of attention,  the PUCK"    Real purist DO see the puck and real racing purist  DO see the little things that makes NASCAR so exciting.  :):)
EX GI  
View Quote

Horsefeathers!  Handling on an oval???  LMAO.  80 miles an hour through rush hour.  I do on I285 because everyone else is and it is not hard.  No comparison if you are saying you do 80 while everyone else does 40 because everyone on the track is running roughly the same speed.  Bad analogy.  Snow packed????  PPPUUUULLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE!   Purists don't like BORECAR, only those that know nothing about driving.  Most BORECAR fans will tell you they only watch for the wrecks.  That is the only excitement, otherwise it is a total bore.  Can you say WCW on WHEELS?  As a corner worker and former racer, I know of what I speak.  Oval racing is BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGG.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like all kinds of racing even airplane and boat racing.  I am a true speed freak right down to street racing my '94 Z28.  I really like NASCAR.  Yes, the rules do tend to screw things up and they mostly turn left.  However, nearly everyone who says they don't like it just haven't ever been to a race.  Serously, I've seen people change their minds instantly after attending a race.  Also, it really helps when you get to know some of the driver's personalities and the different styles they have.  If you just see it as cars with numbers on the sides going in circles then you really haven't experienced the sport in its entirety.

As for horsepower, most NASCAR teams are virtually equal with approximately 750 HP.  Passes don't occur because someone has more HP but because someone is handling better.  The cars are VERY tuneable.  They can raise and lower each corner of the car to re-distribute the weight or change tire pressures or flare the front fenders to get more downforce or any one of many other aspects of their race setup.  A team who can handle better will carry more momentum through a corner and will have a higher exit speed from the turn.  THAT is how passes are made.

Its a different sport and you just can't compare 3400 lb stock cars with open wheel cars that weight half as much.  Apples and oranges!  I guarantee the so called higher skilled drivers you refer to would have their hands full trying to make a heavier car turn.

You can ignore everything else I've said but listen to my last point.  Millions of people are spending billions of dollars every year on this sport.  That alone ought to make you take another hard look from perhaps a different angle.  I suggest jumping into it  a little deeper and getting to know the drivers and their personalities and hopefully attend an actual race before you pass judgement on something that you just don't know a lot about yet.  Like me for instance, I don't know a lot about the AR-15 rifle but I'm here to learn as much as I can about it before I say it is the best semi-automatic in the world.

Remember #3 - Thanks for the really cool memories Dale!  You will always be missed.

Bill
View Quote

I've been to NASCAR races when we have raced with them, such as the Pro Shelby's at Atlanta Motor Speedway a few years ago.  Was in pit lane, not the pits, actually out in pit lane, while they were qualifying.  As for the road racers not doing well, Robby Gordon took a car that is normally a back marker and ran second at Sears Point today.

Dale is not reading this board.  I am sorry he is dead, but get over it.

Borecar is for those who take their auto tranny boat and float around every day and don't know squat about driving.  I learned everything I could about BORECAR before I realized it sucked.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Try convincing the two hundred and twenty five thousand fans that come to the Texas race each year!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By EX GI:
Try convincing the two hundred and twenty five thousand fans that come to the Texas race each year!
View Quote

Hundreds of thousands go to pro wrestling matches every year.  In fact, it is usually the same people that go to BORECAR races each year.  More people in this country don't own guns than do.  Does that mean that they know more than we do?  NO.  I also think your number is a little inflated.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
aggie, ex gi, and bburn, thanks, those were the responses I was looking for.  I will try to watch a race and think about those things, though I can't see actually enjoying it, I will try.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
hey Larry,

YOU'RE BORING!!!! I'll tell you what Big E told Ron Hornaday at Daytona.[-!-]

...and you're a troll! nobody here is trying to put down any type of racing. just trying to enlighten those that want it. BBURN is exactly right, its a lot more than just the driver.

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, yeah, old school Trans Am racing, with DZ302 Camaros and such.  That was great American racing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I just cant get enough of rally racing going down a logging road driving a 4cyl 4 wheel drive car thats goes threw 3 foot deep ruts then throwing it side ways and going up the next switch back is damn nuts and fun to watch
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#41]
225,000!  actual number, no BS.  Racing is very popular here in Texas right now!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Hundreds of thousands go to pro wrestling matches every year. In fact, it is usually the same people that go to BORECAR races each year. More people in this country don't own guns than do. Does that mean that they know more than we do? NO. I also think your number is a little inflated.
View Quote

actually, i think it was more like 250,000. i know b/c i was there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
hey Larry,

YOU'RE BORING!!!! I'll tell you what Big E told Ron Hornaday at Daytona.[-!-]

...and you're a troll! nobody here is trying to put down any type of racing. just trying to enlighten those that want it. BBURN is exactly right, its a lot more than just the driver.

View Quote
You are right.  I own no guns and came trolling here just to irritate you.  As for that finger, I would expect nothing less from you.  For that matter I would not expect anything more from you either.  It is about the driver, but since BORECAR requires no driving skill, I would not expect you to understand that.  I am not here to put down any kind of racing either, but since BORECAR is scripted, it is not racing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]
(soft banjo playing in the background)
Hey ma, get dem youngins in ole general lee sozin we can get ta da racin !!
We dont wanna miss thuh pre racin drinkin.
YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#45]
actually, i think it was more like 250,000. i know b/c i was there
View Quote

Well, the MMM'ers claimed to have a million people there and they should know, because they were there.  Enough of this.  Goodnight, all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#46]
NASCAR for the most part is boring to watch.
Watkins Glen and Sears Point are the two lone exceptions.
Indy and Cart are boring to watch too when they are running in circles.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#47]
If its got a motor/wheels/props and  makes noise and goes fast I'm there. I was amazed at the sounds and smells and the feeling that attack you at a NASCAR race. The smell of the fuel and rubber or the thump you feel as a car hits the wall right in front of you. Listen to the whistle of an IRL car as it approaches and the boom as it leaves. Stand on the bank of a river as a Top Fuel drag boat goes by at 239mph and feel the wind blast and thump of the motor. Ever been on the start/finish line at an unlimited airplane race as a 1200 hp Merlin V-12 Mustang crosses overhead at 75ft and 600mph. Being at the local drag strip or 1/4 mile bullring or where ever beats the hell out of watching it on TV. To a gearhead man its all GOOD!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#48]
come on now!  who are you more apt to take seriously,  a "million mom marcher" or a member in good standing of this board?

just having a little fun, all.    
 I'm going to bed, later
 EX GI
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#49]
i'm definately with gopher on that one!
g'night ya'll.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bill
View Quote

NASCAB :
Carburated ~5L V8 800 HP @ 8000 RPM
3400lbs, Power Steering, Low Downforce, Max Speed 190 MPH, 2-3G Max Driver Load.

CART Champ Car :
Turbocharged 2.65L V8  >900 HP @ 15000 RPMS
1750lbs, NO Power Steering, High Downforce, Max Speed 240 MPH, 4-6G Max Driver Load.

at 100 MPH a Champcar weighs 3400 lbs.

aggie_cox

There is zero chance CART will ever be back to  TMS. We don't need to see any drivers get killed, or have their careers ended like two of the IRL drivers last month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top