Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 12:01:52 PM EDT
Ya know after reading recently of carbonating fruit (yes, as in oranges) in order to tempt children to eat it, it occurred to lbj he hasn't eaten a piece of fruit in nigh over 25 years.... no kidding.

Oh sure, I'll drink some fruit juice here and there by NEVER EVER NOT IN A GAZILLION YEARS will I eat a piece of fruit.

The last piece of fruit I ate? Hmmmmm, prolly one of those cherries they serve in a cocktail and I only ate it cause I was a little uh...well.... you know.

Putting it mildly...fruit bites the big moose.

Does anyone else share this deep psycological problem?

It ain't easy bein' lbj.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you feel about vegetables?  Probably the same huh?  I love fruit but because it has to be shipped by barge here it's always unripe and tasteless compared to the stuff in California and other advanced civilizations.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
lbj:  Didn't your momma teach you nothin!! :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My Proc. told me to eat fruit. People that eschew fruit in their diet have hemorrhoids the size of basketballs.[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
lbj,
I have never eaten a piece of fruit in 44 years.  Like you I drink OJ and usually will eat certain jams, but never any fruit.

I usually just tell people, " You are what you eat."
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I like melons about the size of cantaloupes.

By the way if you eat tomatoes you is eating fruit!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Arg.... bummeroids, there's something I could live without.

It's not like I went out of my way to avoid eating fruit all this time, it just comes naturally.

Anyone ever get a piece of fruit while trick or treating as a kid? Didn't feel real good did it? It's not like you screamed "Wow, look what I got! A piece of fruit!"

I'm too old for trick or treating but the sentiment is still the same.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Imbroglio,
I can't answer for lbj but if I even smell a raw tomato I'll hurl!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez! I can't imagine life without fruit. Ilove meat of all sorts, and potatoes, pasta, and some veggies, but fruit is also awesome. There's nothing better than a sweet, tangy and juicy nectarine, or the snap of a tart, crisp Macintosh apple. And of course, home grown tomatoes, not the wet toilet paper type sold in grocery stores, loaded with vitamin C, and thus very tangy and sweet at the same time. Good fruit, the kind sold at private little orchards or organic food stores that don't grow hybrids, is an orgy of flavor. Maybe I wax a bit poetic, but fruit beats candy any day of the week in my taste buds' estimation.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I never eat fruit. The only one I can tolerate is an apple every now and then.

I do drink fruit juices though. Probably 95% of the fluids I drink are some type of fruit juice.

No problems with vegetables.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I hardly ever eat fruit either.
I only do when I notice the tips of my fingers hurt and my cuticles start to tear.

Scurvy anyone?

Same with vegtables. The last vegtable I had was Jalapenos on a pizza.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tomatoes might well be a Communist plot or something. Nope, I won't touch 'em.

Some vegetables are fine, fake fruit flavors are OK too. Some of the fake sodas are real good but now all the stores have are those namby pamby contains 10% real fruit juice garbage. If I'm gonna have fruit juice then I'm going whole hog at 100%.

Uh...properly strained and thinned of course.

It's the texture of fruit lbj finds objectionable. Texture is a major deal to him when enjoying a food.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do you feel about vegetables?  Probably the same huh?  I love fruit but because it has to be shipped by barge here it's always unripe and tasteless compared to the stuff in California and other advanced civilizations.
View Quote

You're not the only one. Most of the fruit we get at the large supermarkets is also green, unripened crap, not worth eating. If we want something fresh we have to find a fruit stand or take a drive to the Central Valley. We have our own apple and plum tree, so we're not as bad off as most.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You would starve at my house.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Fruits hardly ever, maybe once a year or so I'll eat an apple.  As far as veggies go I eat corn, nothing green.  I've ate this was all my life, 49 now and it hasn't killed me yet.  And no I don't eat tomatoes either, tomatoe products like ketchup or tomatoe sauce, but nothing with chunks of whole tomatoes in it.

I'm a meat and potatoes man.  Give me a pound or two of beef and some spuds and I'm a happy guy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
lbj r a fr00t?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#16]
lbj been called much worse things believe you him.

"chemlawn" used to do it all the time. hehehe
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Were you buying the fruit at the local supermarket?  Most of the fruit shipped to the local supermarkets are there because they look pretty and ship well, not because they taste good.  The Red Delicious apple is a good example.  It has a pretty red color, but tastes like cardboard.  Try going to a local farmer's market.  This page lists some good mail order sources.  [8D]
[url]http://table.mpr.org/souptonuts/farmstand.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
You're not doing it right. There are lots of ways to get fruit and veggies into your diet without being bored or put off by them.

I don't care for citrus fruits because they're too acid. But I like the other stuff. Delicious apples suck, but Granny Smiths are great. Bananas are good in peanut butter and jam sandwiches (toasted).

Bananas or any other fruit works well on cereals -- not that Capt'n Crunch stuff, REAL cereal like granola, oatmeal, grits . . .

But I like German sausages, and all that other stuff that will kill me too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top