Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2001 7:45:07 PM EDT
My intruder alert went off and said i was being hacked!!!

IP of intruder was 63.84.175.201  #80

Be careful guys
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It happen all the time, dont sweat it.
I have a DSL connection and it happens about 100 times a week atleast. no big deal any cheapo firewall will do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
You weren't hacked. Port 80 is HTTP, which is the normal webserver port (just like http:// on the front of URLs). Someone was probably following an outdated IP or a bad DNS record on their ISP's nameserver and their browser was trying to contact your machine on the HTTP (hypertext transfer protocol) port. You will probably get requests on 21 (ftp), 23 (news), 25 (smtp), 80 (http), 109 (pop), 110 (imap) regularly. If you see probes on those ports, dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Imagine someone walking down a line of parked cars and trying each door handle.  If the door is locked he wont get in, but it is still an attempt to get in.  

I used Zone alarm until I got myself a hardware firewall/router/hub.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2001 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
what boom stick said.i've had someone in asia probing my ports for the last two hours.zone alarm stops them dead in their tracks.later when i feel like it i'll probe his computer right back.mmk    (edited as not to sound like a fag)
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL how right you are.mmk
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Where do you guy's get these firewalls at? Been hearing a lot about them lately.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm using Norton's Personal Firewall and Antivirus software.  I just picked it up from Best Buy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The hardware device would be a cable/ADSL modem sharing gateway.  Mosy electronics stores would have them. I have a UGATE from UMAX DATA SYSTEMS.  These pretty much shut out eveything. No extra software needed as far as I know. They are made specifically to protect a network but work for one computer as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
All earthlink DSL customers need to call support and ask for free firewall software.  Also after becoming a DSL customer, you should receive an email from support with a user name and pass for Firewall software.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
"Linksys" makes a good line of firewalls for the money.  I have a router hub for my two computers, but they make a single computer firewall unit.

Check out linksys.com
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.zonealarm.com[/url] is a pretty good, PCMagazine recommended, firewall.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#12]
heres a free one- SYGATE PERSONAL FIREWAL        http://www.sygate.com/free/spf download.htp
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#13]
You have to choose "personal use" or they will try to charge you. Has procedure for putting in link changed?
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate it when hackers try to probe my ass.

too funny MadMan. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Why does everyone consider subnet scanning or port-scanning hacking? I do it all the time  to local cable and dsl subnets and college campus subnets looking for servers with neat stuff never at all doing anything bad. Most portscanning people are doing just that, if you've put a direct-connected-to-the-internet ip
on your computer it IS public.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I think people view port scanning as a privacy issue. It's akin to looking in someone's windows as opposed to knocking on the front door. If there's something on the server they want you to see, they'll provide a door through port 80, 21, etc. However, no one expects you to be looking in the window at port 6000.

In any case, for my home we now use the LinkSys 8-port DSL/Cable router setup as a DHCP client to the wan and DHCP server for the lan. We also have Zone Alarm installed on all clients for added protection. Previously we were running MS Proxy on NT 4, and found it to be extremely vulnerable to attacks. Total POS. Although, I hear their new proxy server is much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top