Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 5:04:49 PM EDT
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1003517&a=7384367&p=50818220&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of "FEMA" before?
Learn All about them here---->[url]http://www.fema.gov/[/url]

John
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
These folks have WAY more power than most people realize.  I'm just glad Klinton didn't delare a national crisis during the past election and place fema in charge.  Once fema takes over, govt basically shuts down for an extended period of time. I believe the Attorney General calls the shots under such a situation. It's been a while since I have read anything about this, but I definitely remember I didn't like what I was reading and hearing.  Especially when Reno was AG.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Just elect me prez, and FEMA is gone, along with several other similar orgs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These folks have WAY more power than most people realize.  I'm just glad Klinton didn't delare a national crisis during the past election and place fema in charge.
View Quote

Klinton sure seemed like he wanted to after he made the Director of FEMA a cabinet level position.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Once FEMA takes over, it's every man for himself, you mean.  Let 'em go ahead and institute martial law, I'm tired of all this slow boil crap anyways.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Would someone let me in on the big secret as to the "dark" side of FEMA? I looked over the web site but I can't imagine any gov't agancy would list oppresing the masses or boast their skills at applying boots to the necks of the general populace on their web site.

For educational purposes, why should I be afraid?
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if you need collage credit's to get a job there as one of the U.S.A.P.D. Just think of how cool of a job this would be. Ya I'm going for it.  [puke]

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC FEMA was created under the Carter administration as a response to the Cold War. It's primary purpose IS NOT disaster relief, but the continuation of government during a national crisis- martial law. There was an audit done on FEMA and it was discovered that only 10-15% of the budget was going to disaster relief programs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
IIRC FEMA was created under the Carter administration as a response to the Cold War. It's primary purpose IS NOT disaster relief, but the continuation of government during a national crisis- martial law. There was an audit done on FEMA and it was discovered that only 10-15% of the budget was going to disaster relief programs.
View Quote

REALLY, I never knew that, isn't that swell!!

Yes, You do need college for USP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can I get one of those "cool" patches?? Would look great on my AR guncase!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

From the Fema website:

"President Carter's 1979 executive order merged many of the separate disaster-related responsibilities into a new Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Among other agencies, FEMA absorbed: the Federal Insurance Administration, the National Fire Prevention and Control Administration, the National Weather Service Community Preparedness Program, the Federal Preparedness Agency of the General Services Administration and the Federal Disaster Assistance Administration activities from HUD. Civil defense responsibilities were also transferred to the new agency from the Defense Department's Defense Civil Preparedness Agency."

I think the agencies "absorbed" by FEMA explain the 15% budget for disaster relief programs.  All they talk about on their website are disaster relief programs.  [pistol]

Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, that explains where GSA comes in and the other patch. I didn't know that part.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1003517&a=7384367&p=50818221&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

There was a site that went into all of this and where I got the pics from but I can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My relative is currently attending FEMA meetings,.........What would you like to know?
I don't know that much but I can certainly find out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#16]
THE MOST POWERFUL ORGANIZATION IN THE UNITED STATES

[url]http://www.larrynichols.com/fema1.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just elect me prez, and FEMA is gone, along with several other similar orgs.
View Quote

[size=6]WHOA!!! Lets slow down here![/size=6]
When we had a winter storm flood tide in March
of '93 it was FEMA that came to our rescue.
FEMA provided millions of dollars in grants to those that did not have insurance and sent in teams of inspecters to help the local governments. FEMA paid for most of the LG overtime during the cleanup phase. FEMA people do a lot of good.
"Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater!"
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Beat me to it, but thanks anyway, Troy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That may be the most brainwashed statement I've ever seen posted...
If FEMA were eliminated, and that tax money returned to those it's extorted from, it would pay for insurance and probably some leftover.  But more to the point: don't you believe in personal responsibility?
I have insurance on the things that need to be insured.  But if, say, I were to drop insurance on my car, and it got totaled, I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to fix it for me, and I don't think it's right to be forced to pay for someone else doing the same thing.
plus, I don't understand the logic of having all of us taxed to keep paying for people to rebuild their homes on a KNOWN FLOOD PLAIN so that it will be destroyed again, and rebuilt again, at our expense.
There is a city called Guerneville in Sonoma County on the Russian River.  The people build their houses directly on the riverbed.  Must be a great place to live in the summer.  However, guess what happens in the winter?
A couple of years ago, there was a woman on TV crying while being interviewed.  I quote, "We've been flooded out 6 times in the last 8 years!  We're thinking about moving!"
Note that during the '90s, over half a Billion(!) of OUR tax dollars was spent rebuilding these people's houses.  But, of course, that river isn't going to flood again, right?
And the same thing for people who live on any major river, or live in hurricane country, or whatever.  Where I live, it's earthquakes.
FEMA is yet another way for people to delegate their responsibilities, as well as the rights of EVERYONE, to another federal government program. No thanks.-Troy
View Quote

Troy you make some good points and you make some bad ones.
If the Feds stopped all their insurance subsidy
programs, insurance rates would be so high 90%
of American Homeowners could not afford to buy
insurance.
Infrastructure would take years to replace if at all.
The cost of all goods and services would have to
be raised dramatically to cover the costs of insurance.
More than one half of the American People live and work in a flood plain, coastal or riverine.
Insurance Companies went broke after Hurricane
Andrew and it took months for those that didn't
to do their surveys and cut checks. MONTHS!!!!!!
Your property taxes would be astronomical if
your local government had to bear the cost of all disasters alone.
I will be the first to agree that there are
EXCESSES but the program has helped people and
I would rather see tax money used for this purpose than a lot of others. At least Americans
are the beneficiary.

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Right off the Larry Nochols Website.

"FEMA has even been given control of the State Defense Forces, a rag-tag, often considered neo-Nazi, civilian army that will substitute for the National Guard, if the Guard is called to duty overseas."

So what your saying is that while [b]ALL[/b] the US's available military forces(including the state national guard units) are occupied fighting the war of wars, the Michigan Militia (along with all the other state militias) will fall right into lockstep behind FEMA and Uncle Sam and dutifully enforce matial law throughout the land?????

RIIIIGHT. Take off the tinfoil hat and get back on your meds. Your scarin the the kids.

Many of you have Bug Out Bags, Right? You've thought ahead and set up a place and escape route in case the SHTF.

How would you expect the government to be any different?

Would you honestly expect your government to NOT be prepared for some global catastrophe/conflict? It happened in WWII. Fuel and consumer goods were rationed and restricted by the gov't for the good of the country. There was NO fuel shortage in WWII, that's a historical fact. But the government didn't want millions of American workers going off on vacation and forsaking their work.

Is it being managed effectively? That's another question.

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Imbrog, Troy,

I can't believe you guys can't seem to say anything nice about FEMA.  I mean really it is every Americans *RIGHT* to live without fear of the choices you make.  If you wanna live in a tropical (storm path) paradise on the coast, dammit its your right!  If you want to build a cozy little villa on the San Andreas Fault so be it.  Scenic River view, or 40 acres of (wind swept) Big Sky country, GO FOR IT!  I mean whats the worst that can happen?  Uncle Sugar will always be there to lend a helping hand if something goes "ooops, didn't see that coming".

I guess I feel sorry for the "provincials" who eek out a living in places like Choads Mt. Utah, or Pervis Landing Montana...you never hear about major doll-outs occuring in these places, but you can be rest assured that Uncle Sugar rides there ass for every penny "due" to those who live elsewhere!  What chumps they must be!

Besides I am sure that at least 51% of all of those doll-out funds go to those who *Really* need it, and not scammed completely from the freshly punked taxpayer.

btw...United States Police are people too right??? [;)]

edited for smiley content...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top