Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 8:14:50 AM EDT
Have to fly somewhere with my AR and need a hard case (airline requirement) that closely fits my 16 & 1/4" brl AR.  I have those long sucker hard cases, but (after reading one of the above posts) would like to put the hard case inside a duffel bag (less likely to be stolen then) and therefore need a hard case that very closely fits the dimensions of the AR.  Does anybody know where I could find such a case ????  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I make gun cases out of guitar cases.

My favorite are Fender Stratocaster cases that are molded in the shape of a guitar.  They can hold an A1 or any shorty, although a full length A2 will require you split it first.  In that case, find a Bass Guitar case and you get an extra 4 inches.

You can also get the old-style rectangular electric guitar cases and they'll hold more stuff like mags, ear muffs, ammo, etc.  Be sure to get one with "Fender" or "Gibson" embossed on it so there's no doubt that it's not a GunGard case.  One of these will easily hold any AR (maybe two), or even a FAL.

And they all have locks to preclude casual searches by LEOs.  I had a friend at UC Berkeley who had to ride buses and BART trains to get to the range.  They would've never let him on with a gun case.  Instead, everybody always asked him what band he was in.  [:)]  Once he got stopped by a LEO who asked "What's in the guitar case?"  His answer was "I'm on my way to practice" and was waved through.  Yeah, Target Practice, that is.  [:P]

Needless to say, the first thing you do is rip out the plush lining and pitch it.  Look up foam dealers in the phone book and line the cases with 3 layers - one layer of solid foam in the lid, 1 layer of solid in the bottom, with a layer of those pick-apart squares on top of that.  If you can't get pick-apart, use solid foam and trace your guns and stuff with a Magic Marker and then cut on the lines.  A utility knife is good, but those electric carving knives work fantastic!!!  If you're really lazy, just use two layers of that interlocking "egg crate" foam and cut it to fit the case.

You can still declare and check your guns at the airport, but I think that a guitar case is far less inviting a target to the gang-bangers who work the airport than a gun case.  Plus you can carry it all over town without upsetting anybody.

My philosophy is Stealth - don't let 'em think you have a gun in the first place and you've already avoided 99.9% or your problems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Another stealth method?

Get a hard Snowboard/ski case made by "Sportube"  and line it with foam rubber as above. These are meant to travel but might cost a few more bux.  Very stealthy.

Gang bangers DO NOT ski.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting.  Thanks much.  I'll have to go check my local guitar/snow boarding store.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The Pelican 1750 fits a carbine perfectly. It is large enough to include several accessories as well. Totally bomb-proof, with a pressure release valve for flights.

Simply the best there is, and I've owned both Starlights and Pelicans.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I only have a Stelth case that fits an AK exactly...
[url]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/case01.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/case02.jpg[/url]

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another stealth method?

Get a hard Snowboard/ski case made by "Sportube"  and line it with foam rubber as above. These are meant to travel but might cost a few more bux.  Very stealthy.
View Quote

This may work OK in January; not so well in August

Gang bangers DO NOT ski.
View Quote

They don't have to.  They just have to find something they can fence for at least $10 or $20.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top