Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 6:18:34 AM EDT
My buds and I went to the range yesterday and fired our AR's, and other assorted favorites.  We all used exclusively Wolf ammo.  

We were using a ,

Colt lightweight match target
Bushy 16"
Eagle Arms 20"

Using USGI mags and Orlite mags.

Made a carpeting of casings under our feet.
No misfeeds, failure to fires, or anything other than the stuff is hell to clean out.

Just to let ya'll know.................[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've ordered 100 rounds of Wolf 5.56 ammo to try out in my Bushmaster M4 Carbine.  What should I expect to "clean out" that may be different from any other brand of ammo?

How would you recommend I "clean out" what the Wolf ammo will deposit?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Fred,

It burns nasty as hell it left powdery deposits inside the receiver and smells bad when its being fired.  I don't know if its corrosive or not, but I had a hard time cleaning it out of my AR last night.  I probably wont buy anymore after I shoot up what I have.

But hey, it works!

I used Hoppes #9 and wiped and scrubbed especially around the gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Wolf ammo exclusively in my AK and SKS. No problems of any kind to report here. Smells bad? Never noticed that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I just completed a little experiment with Wolf .223 this morning.  Over the last few weeks, I put about 400 rounds through my Colt SP1 with a 16" light barrel.  I did a complete cleaning on the upper this morning.  It was no worse than any other stuff I've fired.  The barrel, bolt and carrier and upper had the typical dirt.  

Also, I didn't have a single failure with this ammo.  Not quite as accurate as my batch of Q3131A.  But I can still hit a pie plate at 50 yds off hand with the stuff.  At this price, I'm going to keep at least a 1000 on hand.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have fired several hundred rounds of Wolf through my Norinco SKS, and I have never had a problem with performance, just cleaning up after it...

Just picked up another case of 123 grain hollowpoints for $85 bucks.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a .38/.357 'mop' brush and then dip it in laquer thinner to clean the chamber good.  Then use std. cleaning practices for the bore and other components.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe that people are starting to think for themselves, try out some Wolf ammo, and discover that the "Wolf is junk" statements are just pure lies. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The ones who complain about Wolf are always the most vocal.Millions of rounds of Wolf ammo every day are being shot by thousands of happy customers.This ammo comes in by the boatload and we sell a hundred thousand every other day, in assorted calibers.I don't doubt their sincerity regarding problems, but in all my days selling ammo i have found that:
Bad gun........blame the ammo
Bad mag........blame the ammo
Bad shooter....blame the ammo
Sometimes you should.....blame the ammo
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How would you recommend I "clean out" what the Wolf ammo will deposit?
Thanks!
View Quote

A pressure washer filled with gasoline works pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Brouhaha,
You may want to try the .45 again.
It used to lock up my .45's, but the same lot is now working perfectly in my 1911 Norinco.

If you want to shoot, Wolf is the best buy out there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...but in all my days selling ammo i have found that:
Bad gun........blame the ammo
Bad mag........blame the ammo
Bad shooter....blame the ammo
Sometimes you should.....blame the ammo
Eric the ammoman
View Quote

Just don't blame the Ammoman, right Eric?!?! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I remind you guys of this offer from time to time..........
Try any case of ammo from any manufacturer that i sell, and if you are not happy, call me at (856) 778-7702 or e-mail me at:
[email protected]
and keep the box you tried and have me come pick up the rest, at no charge to you!
That has to be a "run on sentence" but i couldn't figure out how to stop it.
My moms an english teacher too [:)]
This includes Wolf ammo!
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#17]
My opinions,

I use Wolf in my SKSs almost exclusively because it is so cheap.  As far as accuracy, I was shooting 6" groups with it at 100 yards and blame the large group more on myself than the ammo.  I don't shoot much better with my AR pumping south African ammo.

I don't run wolf in my other guns mostly because I want to keep reloadable brass cases if possible.

My only concern with wolf in an AR would be the steel case.  I may wear out your extracter a little faster.  This is just because steel is harder than brass, so instead of the case absorbing 90% of the wear, it may only take 70 or 80% of it.  To be honest, I'm not sure how much of a concern this is.  But it does explain why 90% of manufactures use a more expensive brass case.

If it works for you, and you like the price use it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I sell wolf buy the case. I have sold thousands of rounds. Its dirty as hell but its cheap and it works. Period.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I have shoot about 5000rd of this ammo 22lr,9mm,40S&W,45 acp and 223. I have never had a problem with this stuff at all. My old S&W 39-2 does not like it but it does not like anything you feed it. But all I have to say is that its good stuff for plinking. I have not shot ant thou an AR-15 yet (Still don't have one maybe by the end of this moth I will.) But I have about 1000 rd of the ammo just siting here. I have use 7.62 sweets,this new stuff called KG-1 and it works great doe not smell at all. Hoppes #9 and just to tell you hoppes does not get everything out. Ther KG-1 did I cleaned the gun with hoppes first and thought it was ok then I got this KG-1 and ran it thou the barrel and the patch came out green. Anyway just make sure you clean the gun well after shooting it and you should have no problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#20]
The M-16 is a battle rifle, the AR15 is the semi version of this same battle rifle.  A battle rifle is expected to function reliably in battle.  Wolf Ammo functions reliably.  

If you want to wear a dress and swap recipes maybe you should find a new hobby...I hear they are looking for people to host candle lite parties or mary kay cosmetics out there.

Me? I shoot reliably.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#21]
No don't use WOLF ammo.... especially 7.62 x 39, that way there will be a glut of it on the market and it will get even cheaper for ME to buy! Maybe soon it will go down from 38 dollars to 15 dollars a 500 rd. brick like .22's. Don't use it guys! [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've ordered 100 rounds of Wolf 5.56 ammo to try out in my Bushmaster M4 Carbine.  What should I expect to "clean out" that may be different from any other brand of ammo?
Thanks!
View Quote

I suggest you test with about 300 rounds instead of just 100 as I did not start running into problems until just over 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The AR gas design is not reliable, all the gasses go straight to the bolt carrier, unlike the Avtomat Kalashnikov design, that the gasses push a piston that hits another piston the forces the bolt back for a much more reliable action. I know when ever I use TCW 7.62x39mm my SKS cycled fine, i put about 220rnds through it with no problems, I havent used Wolf yet, but I got 2 bandoliers of it rdy to go, 200HP and 200FMJ. I know I wont have any problems with it. I have only one complaint about the Russian ammo, the water proof seal breaks off when the pin makes contact to the primer.
Matt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#25]
That nasty ol' Wolf ammo. Yea, right. So you actually have to sit down and CLEAN your weapon after using it. They put that red lacquer stuff on thier bullets as an indicator for the spaces that most lazy jackholes have never cleaned in thier weapons receivers. I consider the breakdown and cleaning of any weapon part of the experience of shooting it. Now get out those penlights and pipecleaners you lazy bums!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I love Wolf for my AK's - it works great.  I haven't tried it on my AR's yet though.  The steel case scares me.  But hey, I guess I could just buy another bolt.  A bolt for $50 and Wolf ammo would probably save me some $ over the long haul when compared with Winchester or Federal .223 prices.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been using Wolf .223 and 7.62x39 for about a year now.  I have been buying it from Ammoman lately.  I haven't had any problems.  I also tried .45ACP.  I am less happy with that, but it was out of a 1911 that doesn't have a good track record.

Wolf is my round of choice when friends want to shoot my AR or AK.  

OSA
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#28]
wolf is cheap and it works only prob i had went away when i cleaned the gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Millions of rounds of Wolf ammo every day are being shot by thousands of happy customers.
View Quote

Like any other product, there's a market for for the entire spectrum, from dirt cheap to need a co-signer to buy. My rule is, "buy the best I can afford," be it ammo or car parts.  

One man's trash...

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
My Glock 36 loves the Wolf .45 stuff not a problem and I found it prety accurate.

Six
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#31]
My SKS loves the stuff. Russian gun, Russian ammo. A marriage made in heaven. [:)]

Haven't tired it in an AR yet, since the SA is so cheap.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top