Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2001 10:22:55 PM EDT
How do you like it?  Tell me about your experience.  Do you think it's worth it?  Do you feel like it's a contribution that makes a difference?
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
yes, I do

Ed
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.fsb.ru/history/book/white/2-3-1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the people. The problem is money to train. So, when funds are short, guess what training gets cut first? I hate it that we can't even get our new soldiers to the range.

Is it worth it? 97% of the time. But the 3% surely does suck.

Does it make a difference?

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It is worth it.

Have my contributions made a difference? Not really. Sitting around the drill hall one weekend a month isn't much of a contribution. Just like JD mentioned, training funds are short.

Be sure to check out your prospective unit (if that's the case) beforehand.

My advice is to bite the bullet and go active duty combat arms for a couple years. If you're like me when I joined in '97 you know you want to. It's taken me this long to decide to go ahead and do it. Why? I want the training. You won't get much in the Reserves (as a rule).

good luck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I was Active duty Air Force from April '97 to April of this year.  I was stationed at Elmendorf for my entire tour where I was weapons loader on F-15E's.  I got out and joined the Alaska Air Guard and am now and Aerial Gunner on HH-60 Pavehawks.  We do tons of search and Rescue on the civilian side.  I love the guard.  This coming from a person that hated active duty.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
McUzi you are a sick f@%k. For someone who is disturbed by this like you say you are, you sure are keeping it going. Get a f#@cking life. That picture has nothing to do with this thread.

RLTW
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely worth it.  I've been in a local Air National Guard unit as a C-130 Flight Engineer for about 8 ears or so & I can promise you we (Americans) do make a difference all over the world.  My country count is up to about 55 or so, & in most cases we were bringing relief or aid or likewise to somebody who needed it.  Even if it was taking Christmas presents to some of our own guys abroad, we've done alot of things that just gave me that "warm & fuzzy" feeling.  Find some way to serve your country any way you can.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, certainly worth it. However as someone said, there is that 3%.  Macedonia and Honduras certainly fell into the 3% category.  Of course, While in Honduras we rotated to Panama for R+R.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you like it?  Tell me about your experience.  Do you think it's worth it?  Do you feel like it's a contribution that makes a difference?
View Quote

I joined the Guard after I got off active duty USMC. Over all the Guard then was pretty much a joke. Then again I was comparing it to active duty. The Guard and Reserves have served this country well in time of war and national emergency. I joined to pay for college. I was an aero scout in an Armored Cav. regiment and an OCS graduate. There are great opportunities if you talk to the right people and keep an open mind about which branch you want. My priorities changed and I got out and don't regret it at all. I have mixed feelings about serving now. My head tells me to stay away from military service my heart says go ahead and do it. I don't feel we (my unit) contributed anything, we were never called up. That may have been politics though. My unit was one of the units that was at Kent State back in 70. Years before my time but many of the politicians were still around. It was mothballed shortly after I left the Guard  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Definately worth it. But if you go, go Marine Corps. Soldiers and Airmen are a dime a dozen. People usually think you're some kind of incredible baddass just because youre in the Marines! The fun part is playing along with it!!! And chicks dig the Dress Blues too! You wanna get into some chick's pants? Take her to the Marine Corps Ball, and you're almost gauranteed! (I'm 5/5 by the way! [;)])

Go Marine Infantry. Boot Camp and SOI (School of Infantry) will SUCK, but it all pays off.

Go for it!

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
It is worth it, and a very small sacrifice compared to what the previous generation went through.  I am a weekend warrior by choice.  As a member of the Medical Corps I doubt any active duty 61J has as much practical experience as I have, due to my experience in treating urban combatants.  I do however really enjoy working with active component personel and find them to be of very high quality and just great people overall.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I almost forgot to add: My reserve unit is as good if not better than any active duty FST.  If you get hit and need emergency surgery, before you lose consciousness request the 1982nd FST!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I am currently active duty Coast Guard, but will probably shift to the reserves in a couple of years.  The Coast Guard has some excellent port security units, that are completely made up of reserves.  They get excellent training and work closely with other high speed forces.

One word of caution though, while the regular Coast Guard will not be very involved except during a major war, the port security units get deployed pretty often to the world's hot spots.  Worth taking a look, if you are thinking about serving.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
How do I like it?  Well, I've got almost 35 years in, 4 yrs active and 31 yrs reserve.

My experiences?  Where do I start? I could write a book. I've been all over the world. Places most people would never dream of. Good and bad. Been called up several times.

I'm an Air Reserve Technician (ART). Which means I work full time for the Reserves, not just on the weekends. I am one of the guys responsible for training our Reservists and maintaining their records. We are so short handed of trained personnel that I have been asked to extend yet another 2 years. Normally I would have retired 2 years ago. Currently I work side by side with the Active Duty Special
Operations Squadron at Eglin AFB.

Is it worth it?  Yes! The retirement benefits alone make it worthwhile. The retirement income will make a difference in my lifestyle.  The extra income from being in the Reserves has paid for my hobby. We all know what that is.  [:D]

In addition we are a military family. My son is active duty Army, my oldest daughter is married to an active duty Navy ET. My youngest daughter is checking out the Air Force Reserves right now.  My wife was an Air Force Reserve AeroMed.  Both our fathers were WWII vets.

Contribution that makes a difference? I definitely feel it does.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#15]
E7 NYARNG.
It's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I will ETS on August the 8th. I am not going to re-enlist. The Guard is Not the best place to serve as a soldier. Go active duty.
The Guard is a great place if you like sitting around on your ass with nothing to do. Our unit wastes more time on Bullshit than it spends on training Soldiers.
I would join back up in a heartbeat if I knew that what I was doing was important or if I was challenged to do my best.
I am not knocking the Soldiers who serve in the Gaurd so you guys don't get pissed at me for being honest.
I wish I had spent the last 6 years in the Army Reserve. I think I would have gotten to do more and I would have a better out look on things. It is very hard to keep a positive attitude when you have more down time than actual training. The guys who get promoted are the guys that kiss ass and don't make waves. If I see a problem then I try and fix it. I use the chain of command and I do what I am told. I have expressed my views on how time could be better spent during training. I am not alone in my veiws but nothing is ever done to improve things.
My MOS is 92Y and I have to bust my ass to get the things our battery needs. I have always had things to finish up after drill and I spend lots of extra time trying to get stuff right.  
You will not get much pay and you will spend alot of time doing stuff that is boring as hell. Thats just part of the job. The real satisfaction is knowing you always do your best.
I am proud of what I have accompished as a Soldier and don't regret my time in the Army at all. You will talk to guys who have served and if they are truthfull with you alot of them feel exactly like I do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm telling ya, go Air Guard and get a flying job.  If you want to learn how to dig holes and sleep in the mud then I'd guess that the Army and Marines would be the best place for you.  

Tourist come to Alaska and pay hundreds of dollars to ride around in a helicopter.  I do it, and get paid.  We also have C130's and those guys go all over the world.  Read Spiders post.  He's got a good job also.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok guys, here's my situation.  I was planning to go into the service after High School (14 years ago) and was talked out of it by friends.  Back in 96 (I was 26 then) I was about to join the Army Reserve as an officer and my wife wanted me to put it off for 6 months.  Then I scored a great job that payed way more than it should have (afforded me some nice FA toys) and the schedule on that job would not allow ANY time off for the first 2 years.

Now I'm 31 and I'm having the nagging feeling that I should have done some service.  More of a hobby as far as time goes, more of service as the heart goes.  In the family tree, I have Vets from Nam, WWII, Spanish American War, Civil, & Revolutionary War, and I just plain feel guilty.  I always wanted to do it, but never had the time.

With the reserves, I could keep my job, my house, my wife, and dogs.  The wife is working on her PHD for another 3 years anyways, so no kids planned until 2005.  So I thought I might give it a try.

I can see myself in OCS with a bunch of 22 year olds.  Geez, that would be embarassing.

Give me your input.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I assume then that your talking about Reserve or National Guard. I graduated OCS while in the National Guard back in 89. The age limit then was 30 however you could get a waiver. I could have attended OCS at Ft. Benning(14wks) or the State OCS(14mos part time) I was in college at the time and didn't want to drop out so I chose the state OCS option. It was somewhat challenging. The curriculum was mandated by OCS at FT. Benning. The commission was with federal recognition and you have the option of going active duty. The leadership training was top notch. It really changed me for the better maybe even more than the USMC did. I was more mature than I was at Parris Island. BTT I don't think you have the option of active OCS these days but I could be wrong. If it requires a waiver get one, If you can go to the active OCS do it. At your age you shouldn't waste time. Just prepare yourself physically and more important mentally. To get a guarantee for OCS in your contract i believe you will have to pass the officer selection battery. I doubt that will be a problem. Then decide on some of the branches you are interested in and visit those units and see what they do and interview with prospective commanders. Choose a combat arms branch. If you were younger I'd say infantry. But as you get older the aches and pains caused by an infantrymans life will become more frequent and more intense and platoon commanders spend their time with their men doing pretty much what they do. Think about the prospect of being a forty year old 1st Lt. think about armor or engineers
even artillery(King of battle don't cha know). Just pick a branch that does not resemble your civilian occupation. That being said I don't really think your missing anything by not serving. HTH Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. If you want to be an officer and expect it to be a hobby, forget it. Officers put in a lot of extra time be it social events(politicking) or planning for upcoming training exercises or drills.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Air Force Reserve - Combat Arms.  The schedule in the Combat Arms Unit on drill weekends is typically one of two things 99% of the time:

Firearms training, range firing (M16A2 and M9 Beretta Pistol) OR

Repair/Rebuild of M16A2 rifles and M9 pistols

Doesn't get any better than that!

Also, since our shop of 8 personnel is responsible for maintaining firearms and range training for approx. 1,200 wing reservists, I can pretty much go over to the base for Mandays (day by day paid work days at the shop) whenever I want.  I am also being sent to Colt Armorer's Course in September, and we have a full week scheduled for special weapons firing (M60, M249 machineguns, and M203 grenade launchers) in September.  What a life!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
GO FOR IT!

The money for college in the National Guard is the best. I'm getting full tuition, $268/month GI bill, $350/month kicker, and about$200/month drill pay. This is why I don't have to get a real job while in college and can spend my free time at the gym or, well, HERE!

My unit is great. I'm an MP. We do our fair share of smokin and jokin, but hey, I dont complain. We do some high speed training too. We practice riot formations, clearing buildings w/ night vision, shooting(not near enough IMHO), etc.
My advice-get in a somewhat combat oriented unit. Don't be a truck driver or something----boring.
The pay is great if you are in college, otherwise it is a good gun fund.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Just an interesting fact I'd like to throw in(Yes it's off topic)

The #1 employer in Alaska is the National Guard.[pistol]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
This sounds crazy, but I hardly ever do anything on weekends, and I always have a few weeks free (school breaks, summer, etc) where the time would be available.  But...would it be in my interest to join the Army Guard, maybe in Ft. Benning?

I'm only contemplating the option, and I'll probably give Lew a call before I made any rash decisions.  But, my parents have already helped me out through 3 years, and it'll take me 2 more to grad...I want to help out financially if I can.  Plus, I'm already getting hooked up w/ the Georgia State shooters and hopefully some communication with the AMU (or whatever it's called now) as well.  I live in Auburn, AL - about 45min. from the base.  After I got back in physical shape, maybe after fall semester, would it be worth it to hit boot camp and invest time in the Guard?  If all I'd do was "waste time" anyway, I might as well pick up my M16 or AR15 (whichever is applicable) and hit the range.

Has the Jew gone insane?  Or am I fresh blood ready to be used?

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Jew,
Are you gonna be an(choke)<>?
My GOD man....

ROTC. OK. You can even get money to finish your degree.

Before you do ANYTHING...call me.

Lew
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jew,
Are you gonna be an(choke)<>?
My GOD man....

ROTC. OK. You can even get money to finish your degree.

Before you do ANYTHING...call me.

Lew
View Quote

My only ROTC experience was in high school, it was great (my first shooting experience, as well).  I'd be a grunt, not an officer, so no ROTC for me.  If I went into ROTC, I'd assume active duty, which is NOT what I want to do...I'm studying for a career for a reason, and that's why I did not get into the Army or AFROTC program here.  I'm not a career military man - enlist or officer.  The only reason I considered the Guard was:

1.) I'd planned on doing it anyway in a few years.
2.) Good experience with some of the guys I'll be dealing with on a weekly basis in GA anyway.
3.) Get to train with the Rangers
4.) Financial support for the ol' folks.

It's not a BAD choice, I just want to know if it's the RIGHT choice.  Trust me, as stated I would call you before I made any move in this genre.

Jew~
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Four years active Army Infantry, loved it except for Ft. Campbell.
Two years in the MDNG, also Infantry, and thought it was a joke.  The straw that broke the camel's back was on a live fire exercise.  We walked-not tactically either-to our support position.  We fired up the OBJ for about a minute, then CEASED FIRE, CLEARED OUR WEAPONS, AND GOT RODDED BEFORE THE ASSAULT ELEMENT EVEN LEFT THEIR COVER!!!!!  After this fiasco was over, even the older NCO's who had active duty experience were talking about who good the training was!  It was so far from a realistic scenerio that I made up my mind then and there I was done with it.
By the way, I still miss being active duty.  Even with all the BS you have to put up with, it is something I feel everyone should do.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#27]
If the military can't make their quotas for fresh bodies, they can blame it on their recruiters.  What A-holes!  Spoke with 10 today, 1 real nice guy, and 9 car salesmen!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top