Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 6:02:57 PM EDT
Ok guys tell me all about it!

I just bought one sight unseen for $100 Canadian...I saw one years ago but I do not have much data..( gonna do some searching on the net next)

They do take AR mags right?

Anyway I should have the paperwork finished in a week or so.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You scored.  Great gun.  Takes AR mags, trigger, disconnect, mag release, sear.

I have one, shall I post a pic?

I think they sell for $8-1100 US
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes Please do!!!!!!!!1

I want to show my wife the new toy!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they allowed in CA?  Since they are similar to AR15s aren't they banned in CA? If nothing else you could part it out for some big bucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are they allowed in CA?  Since they are similar to AR15s aren't they banned in CA? If nothing else you could part it out for some big bucks.
View Quote

I am in Canada not Kalifornication.

Only those who owned similar guns before our silly gun law came in can buy it.  I have an AK84-S1 that puts me in that catagory of grandfathering 12(5) I think.  Therefore the market for them is small...thats why I am able to get it at such a low cost.

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a K1, is yours the folding stock or the wire stock?  Or is it postban?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a K1, is yours the folding stock or the wire stock?  Or is it postban?
View Quote

I have not seen it yet...he said that it is a K2 which from what I have read so far tonight makes it a folding stock..K1 is the wire stock...We do not have bans up here in Canada, but you guys would consider it to be preban I think.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
just took the pics, standby, downloading now...
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
With the M-16 7" upper (bought that upper at the gunshow last weekend for $150, and it runs like a champ, fast, loud, and oh what a muzzleflash.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/pB/UP/II/6u62999.jpg[/img]

Folded stock:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/S7/ZL/Ws/6A31576.jpg[/img]

about 6 more, check back in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/pw/1C/8R/6R31938.jpg[/img]

View of the sights.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/pw/1C/8R/7442467.jpg[/img]

Insides look familiar?

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/ys/LS/Bu/7r77232.jpg[/img]

If you look at the design, you can see FNC & Galil, if you look at the lower, you see AR15, if you look at the inside upper, you see AK.

You'll notice the soot on the front of the gas tube, that's about 150-200 rounds.  Imagine, all that crud goes straight to the bolt and carrier on an AR.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Ly/4G/6o/7f35843.jpg[/img]

This last pic is of the bolt and carrier.  Imagine if we just put a gas piston on the AR carrier like this and widened the gas tube out, you would have a much cleaner and reliable weapon.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/aY/22/vQ/7R20121.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks TIconderoga!

How do you find it?

I am a little curious as to how stable the stock is?

Raf???  You would not be suggesting that I actually SELL A GUN??/

Does anyone know where to get a user manual for this little toy??

Well I better get going....ROing at a IPSC match in the AM.

Cheers

Whoooo I just shudder at the thought!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Oops, you are right, this is the K2, so, your's will look just like this sans the butt extension [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks TIconderoga!

How do you find it?

I am a little curious as to how stable the stock is?

Raf???  You would not be suggesting that I actually SELL A GUN??/

Whoooo I just shudder at the thought!!
View Quote

How do I find it?  It's in my safe, I look there. [:D]  I think what you are saying is British for "How do I like it?"  I love it.

No way, the stock is rock solid.  When it's extended it [b]feels like[/b] a straight stock.  You could pound doors with it.  When it's new, you have to put the lower over your knee and push down with your arm/shoulder on the stock to get it to disengage it's link before it will fold.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tell us about the safety.
View Quote

It's the same as the AR.  Pointed in the 9 o'clock position (thumb goes to 3 o'clock) gun is in safe.  Downward stroke with the thumb takes safety off.

As pictured, gun is in fire.  The FA daewoo has the FA position where the M-16 has the semi, and the Semi where the M-16 has the FA.

So, if you have a FA Daewoo, if you flick the safety once (to semi on 16) you get full auto, and if you rotate it 180 degrees, you get semi-auto.  

Since I shoot with the 16, I usually flick the safety 180 degrees, cross training from the Daewoo was easy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The Daewoo is an exceptional weapon.  I have personaly shot Ticonderoga's several times, never a failure to feed or fire, and yes the stock is rock solid.  It is as good as an AR.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Similar to the DR 200 Exept for the folding stock ?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Stormbringer great purchase.  In American bucks thats what $65?  Thats a short day of ammo!  I just bought a post-ban with a butthole stock for $500. Also B-square.com has the scope rail for it. Currently on sale for $60 US.  About what you paid for the rifle! Here is a link to a site that has some details and instructions.

Raf, it depends how you trained.  If you were Korean, you would think an ARs layout is dumb. Its a matter of what you think is important. When there are a million red Chinese coming over the hill instant-full auto might be better! :o)  

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7719/dr200/dr200characteristics.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Firepower, exactly.  I might be wrong but was it called an AR100 as well?  The butthole stock can be replaced with a skeleton stock and pistol grip from ACE LTD. They provide you the trigger, disconnector, and hammer to make it legal. Makes the rifle a little nose heavy, but actually a good thing when getting extra quick shots off.

http://www.riflestocks.com/html/ace_ltd__products_3.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Raf, I know what the problem is!  I am a lefty.  Its natural for me to flick the lever with my left index finger/thumb. Because most guns are right-handed, I am used to using my left index and left thumb to undo safeties.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The Daewoo safety is a pain in the ass.  Given that, if it is really SHTF, who the hell is using the safety?  The finger outta the trigger guard is the safety.

BTW that is a long-ass extension on that stock in the pic.  Who's rifle is that, Shaq's?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's see, a long lever, requiring 180 degrees of COUNTERCLOCKWISE travel instead of the AR15'S 90 degrees clockwise, also requiring the hand to leave the shooting grip. That's just great. Counterintuitive, contrary to the Colt 1911 safety, contrary to the AR15 safety, and just plain dumb. GREAT design, except for one of the most important things...
View Quote

I don't know what Daewoo you've used, but mine is not backwards at all.  The Daewoo safety rotates CLOCKWISE.  It is in THE SAME direction as the AR-15.  It does rotate through 180 degrees, into the same position as the M-16 auto/burst position.  It's the same as flipping an M-16A1 from safe to full.  You don't have to shift your grip, nor does your hand have to leave the grip.  Not counter intuitive at all.  Read Ticonderoga's description of the safety action carefully again.  The M-16 safety is exactly THE SAME, except semi is in the full position.  I'll be the firs to admit that rotating through 180 degrees is a bit odd the first time, but it's a simple, smooth motion that is no different than operating the selector on an AR-15/M16.  I'd suggest you really take a closer look at the Daewoo safety, because you're not describing it accurately.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you Ross, obviously someone doensn't realize that God gave them [b]two[/b] ears and [b]one[/b] mouth.

The Daewoo Safety is exactly like the M16 except the FA and SA are reversed.

When I take my Daewoo to the range, I don't rotate the selector 180, but rather 90 degrees to the 12 oclock position.  Makes it a snap to flick.

And, I've never had to take my finer off the trigger to disengage the safety, even when I had to go the 180 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Ardoc, thanks for the info. I find the thumbhole stock very comfy though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Ardoc, thanks for the info. I find the thumbhole stock very comfy though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll have my K2 at the OH Bulletfest shoot.  Anyone who wants to try it out is more than welcome to.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
There seems to be a snafu with my K2 purchase.  It seems that they cannot decide what the barrel length is!!!!

Hmmmm, when it was first registered the local cops measured it at 485mm,  The specs say it is shorter.....I think that the idiot cops included the chamber in theirs...I have to talk to the techs at the Canadian Firearms Centre tomorrow to help sort things out....Damn fools.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The Daewoo manual lists it as 465mm without the flash suppressor.  It could be they're including the fash suppressor.  You'd gain just about 20mm from that.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Daewoo manual lists it as 465mm without the flash suppressor.  It could be they're including the fash suppressor.  You'd gain just about 20mm from that.  

Ross
View Quote

Manual!!!??  Manual!!??  Did you say manual!!!

You would not have access to a scanner or a photocopier would you???
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#35]
My scanner is down right now, ever since my old system blew-up.  I would gladly photocopy it and just mail it to you.  It would look better and be esaier to use anyway.  Send me your snail-mail address and I'll send you it.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#36]
or I could scan and email or post?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
or I could scan and email or post?
View Quote

I would appreciate the scan and email Ticonderoga...I live in Canada and would not want Ross to have to spend the money to mail me the data...

Thanks for the Offer Ross!!

Once again I have been able to prove to my wife how great gun owners can be!!

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Stormbringer, look here:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7719/dr200/dr200characteristics.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Here are some pics of my K2:
[url]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k23.jpg[/url]

[url]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k21.jpg[/url]

[url]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/k2/k24.jpg[/url]

I also have the original manual.  I don't have access to a scanner or digital camera, but I could always photocopy and mail it to you Stormbringer.

Enjoy your new weapon!  This is IMHO one of the best carbines ever made!!  I don't have any problems with the safety either.  If ony they made one in 7.62 NATO and used FAL mags...[}:(]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#40]
WOW you guys are great!!

I talked to the CFC yesterday and they should have my paperwork sometime today.

They say that they have the barrel measurement all figured out!!

Ya right!  they now say 483mm.

It seems that they had the owner close the bolt and put a cleaning rod down the barrel.  He then took the measurement at the "point where the bullet would exit the barrel" This would NOT include the flash hider....BUT it WOULD include the CHAMBER!!!!

Damn never knew that the chamber was actually part of the barrel!!!!

Idiots!!

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Range Report

Well I picked up my little baby and naturally stopped off at the range on my way  home.

The poor thing had to be DUSTED!! as it had not been shot in 4 years.

My safety ( a hot topic it would seem) rotates 180 degrees in a clockwise direction from 3 to 9 O'Clock.

While it is 90 degrees further than my AR it does not appear at first to be much of a problem.

The stock is a little short for my taste but considering that it is built for Koreans who tend to be diminutive it is understandable ( I am only 5' 10".

It will make an excellent rifle for my son and daughter for IPSC 3gun matches once they grow into it a bit.

I found the sights to  be very easy to aquire..almost ghost rings if you ask me.  Should make for rapid shots.

I loaded a single round and let her rip at the 100 yard berm ( I did not think to bring any targets so I do not know about accuracy at this time.)  The report/recoil was sharper then I anticipated but then I noticed that the gas plug might be in the closed position.( I also forgot to bring the codes).
I adjusted the plug and fired again....the case then flew out about 20 feet to the ritht and 10 feet forward!!!

I tried the next setting and the cases dropped out about 4 feet away.
The next setting also failed to cylcle the action just like the first...so I will have to tabulate the results.

A couple of guys who were at the club each tried a few rounds and they loved it..

Mind you for the price I got it for....WHO WOULD COMPLAIN!!

All in all I think that it is a great gun while I would not spend the money they want for one in the States the Piston gas action does seem better then the direct gas of the AR. Mind you my first love was an FN so I am biased.

I will post some accuracy details later...mind you I am a terrible rifle shot.

Thanks for all the help re manuals guys!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top