Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2005 4:42:37 AM EDT

Sinus drainage..  does it end up in your lungs?  not even a little ?  

I have this Nurse friend who says none goes to your lungs..   NONE!

How do you explain the big yellow lugie you cough up sometimes when you
wake up in the morning after having bad allergy drainage while your sleeping?  

I cant find any info on google..I know you would drown if there were to be a certain
amount to flow into your lungs.. But I think there is some that gets by..  NO ?

Realist out
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If it did you'd choke like hell.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
bronchial? never makes it to the lungs
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
sinus drainage doesn't go to your lungs thanks to a little feller called an epiglottis

the mucus you cough/choke up is produced in the trachea (windpipe) and bronchial tubes
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You should try nasal irrigation. It really cuts down on sinus problems. Use a pulsatile irrigator regularly and you should see a reduction in problems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Post nasal drip winds up going down your esophegus (sp).  That's why step throat is a major complication with sinus drainage.  The mucus in your lungs is due to irritation of your broncus, or lower.  If you are coughing yellow, you are just irritated there, if you start with the green, then, you are starting on an infection.

Cheers!

Drink water.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Based on my own personal experience........

Your nurse friend is FOS.

I am suffering this problem as I sit here typing. Seems like it is always the same thing with me. Sinus drainage ends up in my lungs. This starts me off on some nasty coughing jags.  Not long after, I end up with a nasty burning sensation in my chest as I hack up lots of lung butter. Usually turns into bronchitis. Being sick sucks.

EDITED TO SAY:
Well the responses above mine came in while I was typing my reply. It looks like I am the one who is FOS.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Your nose and sinuses make 200-300cc of fluid a day.  Most of the time, it is transported to the back of your nose, and swallowed down your throat with no problem and you don't notice.

When it becomes infected or too thick, it will hang up and"stick more" and irritate the linings of your throat and well as have little nasties growing in in.

Also, as it drains down, it can pool  in the larynx, just around your vocal cords and it is there where it is supposed to be swallowed, down the esophagus, but can hang up and make you cough.  It can also find its way down into the trachea, making you cough as well.  It can be aspirated into the lungs as well.  This is not a problem for most people, but there is  a link between chronic sinus disease, allergic rhinitis, and asthma.

Through a little tobacco smoke in for good measure and watch some folks cough up a lung!

Nasal saline irrigation and Mucinex are your friend.

You make think it's funny, but it snot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I learned something new.  

I've developed an allergy and thought it was coming from my lung as well.  Kinda like puking from your lungs is what it feels like.  That crap gets down deep, builds up, and take some major effort to get outta there.  I'm not even a smoker.

Mornings suck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You make think it's funny, but it snot.

Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If so, it's a negligible amount
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should try nasal irrigation. It really cuts down on sinus problems. Use a pulsatile irrigator regularly and you should see a reduction in problems.

Are there special devices made for nasal irrigation?  You know, like a Water Pik, but a little more gentle?  

Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are there special devices made for nasal irrigation?  You know, like a Water Pik, but a little more gentle?  

I buy it in squeeze bottles that work like any other nasal spray.  A couple squirts in each nostril seems to make a big difference, especially during the winter when the air is so dry.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Irrigate your sinuses everytime you shower with a turkey baster full of real warm salt water.  Does wonders for me.  BTW - I just pretend to be a doctor. I'm really snot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

I have the professional water pik and the flow can be adjusted so its not harsh at all.  Even when I have a bad infection, I'm able to adjust the flow enough that its not painful.

I buy most of the stuff I need for irrigation at www.hydromedonline.com/

For lots of info about sinusitis, check out the alt.support.sinusitis faq
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#16]

God I hate it when I'm wrong..    

Thanks Guys  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top