Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2005 4:51:06 PM EDT
What kind of SHTF/Readiness Backpack do you guys use?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Lightfigther RAID

depends on how many days you are trying to stay out for
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Becker patrol pack.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not familiar with these? Could you post a PIC?
I was looking at an ALICE Backpack?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The situation under which you use it, terrain you have to cross, your physical condition, and the amount of stuff you need to and can carry dictates that.

What is your situation?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have medium ALICE pack and frame.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of SHTF/Readiness Backpack do you guys use?

I have several but I have decided I ain't running anywhere.
I will stay right where I am and fight to the last drop of red blood I have!
"If you run you just die tired"
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got two:  One's a Tactical Tailor 3-day pack, the other is an old Eagle 3-day assault pack.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment

www.georgia-outfitters.com/_alice/alicemanual.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
T.H.E. (S.O.B.)

Think I've decided I'm staying also.  But if we have to......will make a spectacular departure
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to use a large alice pack
now I have the 85L one of these, with the 55L model in my truck as a get home bag
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=128441

they recently started offering a camo version
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=158506

backpacker magazine recently did a gear review and one of the packs listed was identical to these but well over $100. these are probably a copy of that one
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe you are referring to a "bug-out-bag".  There is a whole survival forum devoted to such things.  Try posting there also.  You could get PAGES of answers.  

I hope this isn't something you already knew.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123

One of my personal favorite forums.  Lots of good ideas for when the tinfoil hat starts getting hot.

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The situation under which you use it, terrain you have to cross, your physical condition, and the amount of stuff you need to and can carry dictates that.

What is your situation?

It would be used in the back country and I would like to be able to attach mag pouches (which will be ready to go) to the outside of the pack, depending on the situation. I'm not talking war here..........just a 1-3 day outing or perhaps a road trip and I can toss this in my trunk. Inside would be first aid kit, compass, GPS, map, 2 MRE's, flash light, etc. I would also like to attach a canteen if needed. Of coarse I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
A Kelty
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have medium ALICE pack and frame.

+1

Ops
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The best one for you is the one that can carry full. The biggest mistake most people make in
choosing a good BP is picking one that is too large/heavy to carry when full.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#16]
ALICE
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your situation?

It would be used in the back country and I would like to be able to attach mag pouches (which will be ready to go) to the outside of the pack, depending on the situation. I'm not talking war here..........just a 1-3 day outing or perhaps a road trip and I can toss this in my trunk. Inside would be first aid kit, compass, GPS, map, 2 MRE's, flash light, etc. I would also like to attach a canteen if needed. Of coarse I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Back country means you can go with a military-style gear.  There are a lot of good ones out there.  The Neutral Observer has an ALICE, which is his favored one and fairly good, but there are more comfortable ones out there, too.  There are also a lot of uncomfortable ones though.  It's a matter of degree.

There were some South African ones floating around a couple of years ago that were comfortable, but The Neutral Observer didn't get one then and they have since dried up.  The storage capacity was limited compared to the ALICE (the thing reigns supreme in this regard and in ease of access among the military surplus stuff out there currently, although The Neutral Observer hasn't really done much with the new stuff that the US and Canadians use now, MOLLE and some other stuff, The Neutral Observer believes it is called).

If you're in a more urban or suburban style of terrain, use a civilian backpack similar to what students wear.  Moving through a riot zone or through police checkpoints with military-style gear will draw unwelcome attention from all sides.

The idea of a "bug out bag" is that you want to be able to "bug out", which is best accomplished by maintaining a low profile and moving rapidly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I need a SHTF pencil.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my Kirafu Zulu. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.kifaru.net/MGzulu.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at a Northface Minuteman! I have had mine for a few years and done quite a bit of backpacking with it. From the Ga mountains to Alaska. Its a hell of alot more comfortable than an old alice ruck! Walked 24 miles with about 50lbs in it and the only thing that was sore were the soles of my feet! Rides real nive! One big plus is that it is black and OD green. But I dont know if they make them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The best one for you is the one that can carry full. The biggest mistake most people make in
choosing a good BP is picking one that is too large/heavy to carry when full.

I agree with that. I'm 6-0 195 on weekdays and 200 on the weekend
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Lightfigter RAID available from Lightfighter

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I need a SHTF pencil.

Ahh, I'm all stocked up on those!
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What is the diffrence between ALICE ans LBV?
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A.L.I.C.E. is a pack www.georgia-outfitters.com/_alice/alicemanual.htm

LBV stands for "load bearing vest"
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Think I've decided I'm staying also.  But if we have to......will make a spectacular departure

Amen!

We will die in a loud, proficient, military manner!

As for me, I carry an Eagle CamelBAK in the truck as a get-home bag.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Eagle Industries A-III 3 day assault pack in OD. Doubles as my carry on when I fly.
Edited to add a pic:

Optional side pouches can be added.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Eagle Industries A-III 3 day assault pack in OD. Doubles as my carry on when I fly.

Just don't forget to empty it of all the gooodies first!
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need a SHTF pencil.

Ahh, I'm all stocked up on those!

Then you should start on your SHTF stationary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny you mention that! The last time I flew, I had emptied all my BOB contents out before repacking, or so I thought. Only AFTER arriving in my vacation destination did I see a HACKSAW BLADE hiding in my hydration pocket! I don't know if it's a good thing or not our professional TSA employees failed to spot it in the X-ray machine. Doh!
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Becker patrol pack.

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Becker patrol pack.

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I use two packs, depending upon the need. Both are made by Eagle, one is a Hawg, the other is a BFM. Each has an extra hydration system added, additional packs for M14 magazines. They fit the bill, Bill.

Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny you mention that! The last time I flew, I had emptied all my BOB contents out before repacking, or so I thought. Only AFTER arriving in my vacation destination did I see a HACKSAW BLADE hiding in my hydration pocket! I don't know if it's a good thing or not our professional TSA employees failed to spot it in the X-ray machine. Doh!

You're lucky. Yesterday some asswipe TSA-type ran my laptop through the X-Ray THREE times AND gave it a once-over with the explosive-smelly thingy because I had the AUDACITY to accidentally put my jacket over it in the stupid grey bin!

He tried to be polite, but I just couldn't help but stare at him with complete contempt. Since I didn't want to get arrested for exercising my 1st Amendment rights and telling this esteemed Federal employee what I thought of his department in general and him in particular, I kept my mouth shut.

Hell! While he was finger-fucking my laptop (A Mac PowerBook; He probably was feeling jealous), I went to sit down to put my shoes back on (because we all know how taking them off is "recommended"), he tells me, "Sorry, sir, you can't sit there unless you want to be wanded." It took all the patience I could muster not to launch on the little fuck right then and there. So I ended up getting my PC back and walking barefoot to my gate.

I'm REALLY beginning to hate airline "security".

I wouldn't use a SHTF bag on an airliner precisely for the reason you give. You never know when you might forget something serious, like a back-up knife or something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Love my CFP 90 pack.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.nexternal.com/useg/images/MediumALICE.jpg

Is this the LC-1 or LC-2?
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got two:

A Kelty Moraine that's conveniently in subdued green colors. It would be my "extended patrol" type pack. Comfortable, lots of lash-on points This could be used as a 2 or 3 day pack.

My other is a comfortable-as-all-get-out Dutch Ranger pack. Tough, waterproof, relatively light. Holds a lot, rides nice and high and the shoulder straps are well padded and ergonomically designed-more so that a lot of consumer packs. This is a 1 or 2 day pack and it's Dutch camo pattern. Paid $25 for it from a Gov't. surplus joint.

Both are internal frame designs. I don't like external frame packs much at all-internal frames make the load feel more like a part of your body instead of a shitload of weight hanging off your back-and I've tried a few of the really nice (and expensive) external frame packs.

Personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks to all, have decided to go with an LC-2 A.L.I.C.E.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Standard Issue Seabag filled with Budweiser.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#42]
CamelBac Motherlode.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Just a question, why does everyone start going with something of military design when they are talking a SHTF senario?  Would it not make more sense to use something a little more civilianish so you do not appear to be a paramilitary trooper when bugging out, you know, something that would not cause alarm during a casual inspection.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just a question, why does everyone start going with something of military design when they are talking a SHTF senario?  Would it not make more sense to use something a little more civilianish so you do not appear to be a paramilitary trooper when bugging out, you know, something that would not cause alarm during a casual inspection.

not really, since I'll be taking my rifle with me and hoping on foot through the rural area once I get out of the city. getting out of the city is going to be the hard part, rifle or not.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to have a medium ALICE, but it was stolen with all the gear inside.

Now I'm temporarily using a really nice black goretex back pack that was my range bag.
It has a good amount of space with a hard padded insert for a laptop and nice pockets.

My son blew away the front three pockets with muzzle blast from my AR15 when he used it as a rest at the range, so it's not as strong as an ALICE pack but it's still good until I can afford to get another ALICE and fill it with the gear I lost.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Love my CFP 90 pack.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I used to have a medium ALICE, but it was stolen with all the gear inside.

Now I'm temporarily using a really nice black goretex back pack that was my range bag.
It has a good amount of space with a hard padded insert for a laptop and nice pockets.

My son blew away the front three pockets with muzzle blast from my AR15 when he used it as a rest at the range, so it's not as strong as an ALICE pack but it's still good until I can afford to get another ALICE and fill it with the gear I lost.

IM me an addy and I'll send you a med ALICE, I might even have a frame, I bought a bunch of SHTF gear right after 9/11.
No charge.

Link Posted: 2/9/2005 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
jrzy, I sent you an IM!
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A.L.I.C.E. is a pack www.georgia-outfitters.com/_alice/alicemanual.htm

LBV stands for "load bearing vest" www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/images/sa-assault-vest-dpm.jpg

Actually, ALICE is the system that comprises, the LBE (original term - Load Bearing Equipment) and the series of packs (small and large).  There's other miscellaneous equipment, but the LBE and the pack are the base of the system.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
jrzy, I sent you an IM!

I'm sorry I just read it, I was not selling any of my packs, I was offering to give one to oneshot1kill because he lost his to a thief.

You can find one on e-bay cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top