Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2001 3:11:12 PM EDT
see the radar detector when stopped for speeding?
The daughter of a friend got a speeding ticket
while going to work the other day.
The Female FHP told her she was clocked on radar
at 70 mph.. "No way! I would like to see the
radar detector!" The Female FHP told her no, and
threatened her with "obstruction of a peace
officer."
This happened in Florida. Any cites would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah yes, the old "obstruction of justice" threat. It is used just as much as the feds labeling things "national security" in an effort to cover up their own wrongdoings.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in Missouri. If I was going to lie I could just get somebody I knew to drive by the unit at a high rate of speed and lock that speed in. Then "everybody" could be doin' ninety. The locked speed just shows that something went past the radar unit at a certain speed. Not when that something went past.
I don't stop anyone until at least +15 and they usually know they are speeding. In my experience, the people who argue most are red light violations.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Here in my area of California all the cops have to show you is the radar calibration certificate if you ask for it. They are required to check them for accuracy once a month and if they can't provide you with that certificate within a week of your speeding violation then the ticket will be dismissed at your court date, but only if you bring up this up to the judge. This was told to me by a Deputy Coroner friend, so take it for what its worth.

bkss67
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
AAAHHHH JEEEEESSHH SGB, safety my ass !!!
maybe they dont want to show it cause they really didnt use it ????????
the more excuses we let them give us, the more they will try to get away with.
Whats next?? AAAHHH yeah I got you on video doin sumptin bad. gee oficer can I see that tape ???
aaahhh nooo, you know for safety... just take my word for it ok ?? now come with me to da station house...
they're just collecting taxes anyway.
[x]
Junior, there aint no way you coulda come from my loins !!!
When I get home I'm gonna punch yo mama in da mouth !!
Sheriff Buford T. Justice
[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
That depends on the jurisdiction.  I will usually let a citizen see it as long as they are being halfway civil.  If I think they are a potential problem (as in threat), I don't.  So it's really up to them.  If they are just upset about the ticket and I don't think they pose any particular threat, I will show it to them.  Some will demand to see the 'calibration records', which most officers don't carry in the car.  Ours are kept at the station and are available to the citizen any time before their hearing.  The street is not the place to get into a discussion about testing and calibration- that's for the courtroom.

And just FYI, officers don't 'calibrate' radar units.  That is done at the factory by certified technicians.  All officers do is perform tests designed to make sure the radar is still working properly.  All an officer has to be able to do in order to use radar is know how to set it up, test it, and operate it per the manufacturer's instructions.  They are not required to know the technical details of how radar works or how the technicians calibrate it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok SGB, I agree that safety is a primary issue and that it is for the benefit of both parties.
I also agree that most LEO's are decent and deserve the benefit of the doubt in most cases.
My attitude stems from local LEO's which have been under fire for illegal stops, poor handling of crowd control after large events and internal corruption.
So I admit I'm a little touchy about some issues discussed here but I have great respect for those LEO's who do it right and hang it on the line for us every day
BUT I'M EVER VIGILANT !!!!!!
[x]
P.S. I AM IN HOT PURSUIT !!!!!!
Sheriff Buford T. Justice    
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
We have hand held Radars and Lidars, run by versa pak batteries no less.  I always carry the hand helds to the car with me and show them. I haven't had an arguement with anyone except one woman.  She asked if I was sure I was using it right.  I took her out of the car and showed her how to use it. She had so much fun I didn't even give her a ticket.  She said she was sorry and I said no problem.

We are not, however, required to show them anything.  And if they refuse to sign the ticket I cuff em up and force them to post a cash bond.  That is all a summons is anyway, your word with that signature that you will appear in court.

ronnie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top