> > guns. But the raid that morning
> > came as
> > shock to Jenkins, she said, because she had
> > already told county officers on
> > two prior
> > occasions that she did not know the man they
> > were looking for, and Jenkins'
> > landlord
> > had informed police that their man had moved.
> >
> > Jenkins, a 36-year-old single mother on
> > disability, said she was terrified by
> > the
> > experience. She again told them their efforts
> > were pointless and she hoped the
> > police would not bother her again.
> >
> > But on June 10, 2000, at about 5:20 a.m., the
> > police came again. This time the
> > officers battered down Jenkins' front door
> > before she could open it. The
> > previous
> > tenant was still not living there, and the
> > landlord finally provided
> > investigators with the
> > forwarding address of the person that they
> > sought.
> >
> > Jenkins' home has not been the subject of a
> > police search since that time.
> > But she
> > remains in fear of another pre-dawn raid, and
> > she has filed a lawsuit in
> > Prince
> > George's County Circuit Court to prevent any
> > future invasions. Her complaint,
> > filed
> > May 11, accuses the Prince George's County
> > Police Department of negligence and
> > harassment.
> >
> > "Their conduct was outrageous," said James
> > Klimaski, an attorney representing
> > Jenkins. "I don't know why they would want to
> > treat the citizens of the
> > county this way."
> >
> > Jenkins has told her lawyer that she felt
> > disrespected by the police and is
> > frightened
> > officers could return to her home at any
> time.
> > Klimaski has directed Jenkins
> > to not
> > make any public statements herself because of
> > the pending litigation.
> >
> > Damages against the county have been set at
> > $400,000, but an unspecified
> > amount
> > is being sought against the individual
> officers
> > involved in the searches.
> > County
> > Attorney Sean Wallace said that he is not
> aware
> > of the lawsuit filed against
> > the
> > department.
> >
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
> > Klimaski said the police had no need to
> search
> > his client's home and knew
> > before
> > they entered the residence the man they
> sought
> > would not be there. "They
> > wanted to
> > show their authority," Klimaski said. "It is
> > the attitude of the police
> > officers who aren't
> > there to protect the public, but to be
> > enforcers."
> >
> > Klimaski said Jenkins' children, who were 9
> and
> > 13-years-old at the time, were
> > questioned by some of the officers at
> gunpoint.
> > The children have been
> > traumatized
> > by the incident, Klimaski said, and need
> > counseling that his client is not
> > able to
> > afford.
> >
> > "A cop puts a gun to an (9)-year-old's head,"
> > Klimaski said. "Give me a
> > break. The
> > only way they are going to smarten up is to
> > have lawsuit after lawsuit filed
> > against
> > them. They aren't going to get it on their
> > own."
> >
> > No court date for the recent lawsuit has been
> > set.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to see a sharp U.S. attorney bring crimminal civil rights charges against all involved. I understand that the U.S. Code allows for a $10,000 fine and up to ten years in jail for conspiring to infringe upon one's civil rights.

I know, keep dreaming, right? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]
She is probably making the whole thing up, just like the rest of you tin foil hat wearing black helicopter seers.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You people are really something.  I have never seen or heard of such a collection of LEO bashers in my life.

This Jenkins woman needs to drop her suit, the cops have other things more important than defending themselves in a frivolus lawsuit!

There are illegal gun salesmen and people who do nothing but smoke crack and eat Cheez-E-Poofs (tm) that need busted!

She isn't even worthy of kissing the ground those brave SWAT-souls tread upon.  Hell she should consider herself lucky, there are lots of jurisdictions that can't even afford *A* SWAT team let alone one that is customer service oriented enough not to keep bankers hours.  She even had a follow up visit to ensure her safety and quality of life!

Thats Service!

BTW- the next time someone knocks on her door in the morning she'll think twice about taking her sweet assed time to answer it!  M_S...my ass what a cop-out!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, nice to know how naive some of you are.
Did you happen to notice the story was reported entirely from the point of view of Jenkins and her lawyer.

If we had a gun article entirely told from Sarah Brady's point of view would you be so accepting of that report?

Funny how many of you are so critical of news reports of gun issues. Yet when it alleges wrong doing by police you accept it as gospel.

Interesting that the landlord waited until after the "raid" until providing a forwarding address for the previous tenant.

Maybe if the story even pretended to cover this incident in an impartial manner it might be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Amen to Sans-AR!

You are absolutely correct in your observation, there was no opportunity for SWAT team&Co. to respond the this libel.  

This is unexcusable but to be expected from the PG/Montogommery county area, and its local newsrag.  Although it is probably against department policy to victimize a resident and publicly admit to culpability within 30 days of the actual shooting/beating/break-in there is still no need to run this kind of story.  As a matter of fact this kind of irresponsible reporting is *EXACTLY* why we need journalist review boards (at all levels) and a 5 working day waiting period on all reporting that is not conducive to public harmony.

Hell the whole PG/Montgo. area is a festering pit of anti-government (at all levels) furor.  They ought to call it east Idaho for Petes sake.  Just ask anyone who lives there how much government is hated.

That landlord should be raked over the coals for not assisting the brave Neo-Ninja's in their quest to quell the gun violence epidemic!  He probably would use some sorry assed excuse like "I thought they would need a warrant to get that information" or some such nonsense.

Thanks for bringing this overlooked viewpoint NO-AR-:(!  Thank Gvt. I ain't the only who thinks like that!  Damned non-impartial LEO bashers!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait,I see your point. Why bog the article down with needless facts. It is so much simpler to report it from just one viewpoint. It makes it so much clearer as to exactly what happened.

Yeah, why add to the credibility of the article by asking the police cheif about it? Gee, that little "no comment" or "I can't discuss it, it is being investigated". That would have probably taken to much work. Of course suppose the police dept. was ready with a statement or an explanation, your right why confuse the readers.

Your right an impartial article explaining the situation with interviews conducted with people on both sides of this issue would only make it more difficult to write, forget asking neighbors if they saw what happened.

Just until this paper publishes some well balanced articles about gun issues. They'll probably be just as well balanced as this one, any bets which side they don't interview?

Why worry it's not like they will ever mis-represent anything you do, or issue you care about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy SH**!!  As an LEO, I have to believe that the officers involved did not know out the fact that the tenant had moved out, but Oh MAN!!  The VICE guys should have done a little more homework on that one..  

In a quote from our personal hero " IT is for the Children",  That B*tch.  

Invictus,  The Lady had M.S.,  I don't think she could have open that door any faster.  But I like your sick sense of Humor
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm surprised the Police Apologist aren't putting up a better fight on this one.

Much like the Klinton Apologists, our Board's Police Apologists are all too ready to rationalize and forgive the police for any transgression.

I see some hopefully tongue in cheek excuses for the police, but let's hear from the real Apologists!

Tell us how this handicapped women deserved it.  Tell us how she must be guilty of something, or she wouldn't be targeted.  Tell us how the police have better things to do than harass her.  Why not claim she has dated the guy they are looking for?

Come on guys, I'm sure we can exonerate the cops on this one too, just like this board always does.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just another day in PG County, nothing to see here people, just move along. [rolleyes]

Seriously, One of my buddies in HS's dad is on the PG County Swat team.  He said the department was full of f*ck-ups that committed similar errors all the time.  I remember hearing something about the FBI taking over the PG County police force if they screwed up once more, but I cant remember if they actually did it or if they are still just watching the department.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:02:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah yes, the PG County Police.   This is the same force that is being investigated for 48 hour marathon interrogation sessions that included no food or water, no bathroom breaks and more than a few beatings to force confessions.  Many have since been found innocent through other means.  I'll find that article if I can and post for your edification.   Gee, those guys are swell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Having never been a recipient of an early morning visit by our local swat team, I can only guess what would happen. I have witnessed though a successful operation as a medic backing up a swat team in Texas some years ago. A lone gunman in his house, stepping out to fire off his shotgun in the air from time-to-time. Even with snipers in place and a clear shot, they eventually talked him into surrendering. Locally, though, a swat team held the perimeter on an empty house for 6,(yes SIX) hours until they forced an entry. A neighbor "thought" she heard a banging noise inside, and remembered that the couple sounded like they were arguing the day before. A patrol officer "thought" he heard someone lock the door when he knocked on it. The couple who owned the vacant house were actually on vacation. No one hurt, and the owners got a new door....I think. I couldn't throw the articles away for some time, great reading. People aren't perfect and I allow for that. IF the Prince George Co. Police had that hard a time figuring out if their suspect was there or not, I'm inclined to believe they need some house-clearing of their own.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:(:
If we had a gun article entirely told from Sarah Brady's point of view would you be so accepting of that report?

Funny how many of you are so critical of news reports of gun issues. Yet when it alleges wrong doing by police you accept it as gospel.
View Quote

A RAID on the wrong house is a VERY black and white issue. No Middle ground. It's not the landlords responsibility to provide them the new address, it's their responsibility to do surveillance and other junk to see whats going on and if they HAVE the wrong house before they go in guns up, on the report of an informant.

You want the swat teams report?

After we breeched the front door we saw an adult female hobbling around obviously in an attempt to distract or confuse us, 4 of us treated her to exactly what a running back headed for the endzone gets. We then started looking for the guns after we thought we had neutralized the only hostile in the domicile. Still not finding any guns, though we did come across 2 more minor hostiles wearing gang-related pajamas, they both cried while at gunpoint in an attempt to further confuse us much like their ringleader did with the hobbling. It is this operators opinion that the guns have been reacted with a chemical reagent and turned to liquid which is then formed into a plastic like material that tv sets or cars or small aplliances can be made of, so they can be easily smuggled, cached and concealed.

"and why did you look in the pack of cigarettes? I thought it had a small plastic device...an exploding device in it your honor"
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#17]
No ErickM, I would just like enough facts to make an INFORMED decision about this incident. I would like some of my questions answered.

I know that they don't have to provide any information about the previous tenant, it just seems odd that right after the door goes down they wanna start cooperating.

I'd kinda like to think that most people would like to get information from all sides of an issue before they make a judgement.

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
You see NO-AR, you see what the poor LEO's in PG county have to put up with?  I told you that part of the state is a festering pit of anti-govt hysteria, Cassidy/F4YR/Kharn all prove my point!

No respect for authoritaay at all!

I bet Montana doesn't have this level of anti-gov't hostility and LEO bashing!  I am sure that this event went to press well befor the County Chief could even issue a press release on the subject.  Typical media, with their ant-LEO stance.

And that landlord...some men you just cant reach...that is until you convince them that shit is gonna go downhill in a hurry unless they decide (on their own of course) that voluntarily assisting the police to the maximum extent possible is really a benefit to all.  He must have all of a sudden been inspired to respect the proper authoritaay!!!

Damn too quick to judgement LEO-bashers!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I just don't think jumping to conclusions without facts does anyone any good.

You can be as goofy with that point as you want. But it isn't as funny when you are the one who gets judged to quickly. I'm certain everything I read in the newspaper or see on the news is absolutley accurate. Why if someone posts it it must be true too.

I guess I missed it when Dewey beat Truman, or when Gore was elected as President. And we shouldn't have invaded China's airspace with our EP-3. And of course Clinton never had sex with "that woman", and there are multiple meanings of the word is, is. I hope that OJ doesn't find you and accuse you of being the "real killer", because he told everyone he was out looking for the "real killer".

And of course we know that the media, or individual reporters don't have biases. Just look at all the fair and balanced reports that they have done on the RKBA.

I guess it is easier to make decisions without facts, they just tend to slow you down anyway.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if this offends any cops out there but this is crap.  It is there supiors job to know that this guy was no longer living there.  If they were informed which both the Land Lord and she say they told the cops this never should have happened.

As for cops busting down my door.  I would hope it never happens unless they call out saying they have a warrent cause I would shoot first and put the peices together later.

This silent search crap is going to get a lot of innocent people killed.  Atleast those of us who are willing to shoot some one who has just barged into your home and expects you to comply with it.

As for the cops hold the children at gun point.  I say screw them and lock them up.  I am sorry but there is no reason for that.  You do not need to do that.

Don't argue that it was for the officer's safty cause again bull crap.  All they are after is to show off that they are a bunch of stupid bullies.  Who dont have the brains to think for them selves and get a rise off of feeling powerful by holding guns to women and children's heads.

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#22]
SGB: I guess you haven't bothered to research the PG County police force.  Botched raids, shooting innocents, interrogations that even the Gestapo would cringe at are all the norm in PG county.  I live near there, I have friends whose parents are in law enforcement in the area.  And of course, PG County ALWAYS goes democrat at the polls, even amoung the People-who've-been-dead-25-years demographic.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]
When they say former tennant, do they mean wellfare mommy-crack whore's ex pimp , or do they mean the poor disabled lady moved in after the jackass moved away? I have to agree that I need more info to determine who is the asshole here. SWAT teams never seem to make pre-dawn raids at my house.Probably in everyone's best interest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#26]
That woman should be brought up on obstruction of justice charges.

Procedings also should begin on her being tried by the International Criminal Court for placing her children in harms way.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#27]
If all is as the artical says you are a nut.  And here is the reason I belive the paper.  I live in Vegas and we have had the same problems.  I dont trust the cops to protect me and I won't do much for them.

If I had trust in the cops I wouldn't bother with guns.  I would just get myself a splinking rifle.

It is apparent now days that some police departments abuse there power.  I tend to side with the woman cause it has happened here.

And Imbroglio I wanna hear you explain how she should be brought up on obstruction of justice.

I just takin a shot in the dark but what is you career choice?  COP?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks a lot Imbrog/io!

Just when the conversation started to lean to the rational pro-LEO slant you had to say something.

I think that McUzi and the Mall Ninja get more respect here than the brave men and women of PG county SWAT who put their "Lives on the Line" for "you and me" every day!  I mean one of those kids could have had a hand grenade!  Just like the VC! Thats why you have to treat them all as Perps.  These men and women were only following orders and damnit they do a fine job of following those orders!

And to all of you out there who constantly bash the cops why don't you stop and thank them for not all going on strike nation-wide.  Then after the country is on the brink of certain doom you would all be begging for them to come back and dispence with some authoritaay!!!  Without LEO's the country and the economy would be in the crapper.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Rifles4me: How many times has your house been raided by mistake?
How many times have you been arrested without cause?
How many times have you been physically attacked by a police officer without cause?
How many times have police officer "drawn down" on you without cause?
If it hasn't happened to yuo are you sure you want to believe that it is randomly happening to others?

Imbr(ed): This article is a UN plot to make the US citizens lose confidence in US police agencies. Then the UN will step in with an international police force to save the US. Don't believe it your only helping the UN.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Lets see I have friends who have been handcuffed and publicly humiliated for having there front tire over the white line on a cross walk.  There car was searched and nothin illegal was found and they were released.  

I have had a cop try and search a vehicle I was in with out a warrent.  

I have been subject to discrimination at the hands of the cops.  

So I think I can talk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I live in PG County, MD.  I have some cop neighbors, and have occasionally dealt with the Police Department here.  They are a better police department than our county deserves, and a hell of a lot better than either the DC or Baltimore departments.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lets see I have friends who have been handcuffed and publicly humiliated for having there front tire over the white line on a cross walk.  There car was searched and nothin illegal was found and they were released.
View Quote

It would be humiliating to not know how to drive, and I doubt that is all there is to that story.

I have had a cop try and search a vehicle I was in with out a warrent.
View Quote

Not all searches require warrants. You also said try, so he didn't throw you to the ground step on your head and search anyway? So there was no illegal search or illegal use of force. Who's point are you trying to prove?

I have been subject to discrimination at the hands of the cops.  

So I think I can talk.
View Quote

Why don't you explain that, what discrimination?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Here is another unsung hero and protector of freedom who is a victim of the stress of having to deal with stupid civilians.

[url]www.latimes.com/news/front/20010618/t000051289.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a friend who works for PG Police: He's pretty squared away, but the agency is screwed up bad.

It's your typical "who you blow; not who you know" situation.

He used to work for the DCPD, and PG Sheriff's, but the PG police "powers that be" got it worked out so that the PG Sheriff's position is almost non-existent, and most deputies got laid off, so now, PGPD run rough shod over everyone.

He's just riding the wave until retirement time in a few years.

He's "Mr SWAT": He's done it all, and can back his talk up, but he wouldn't join PG's SWAT team when asked:
Something about them being a bunch of *uck-up's.

Maryland in general is screwed up (Like I needed to remind anyone here of that fact), and is beginning to make Kalifornia look a bit better, just a bit.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Here is another unsung hero and protector of freedom who is a victim of the stress of having to deal with stupid civilians.

View Quote

And your point? I never said that because someone is a police officer it makes them immune from being a criminal. But he still has his Constitutional Right to be considered innocent until PROVEN guilty. Oh yeah I forgot you demand that your rights be perserved even though you are very quick to judge others and disregard their rights.

If you are trying to tar every officer as a criminal because 1 of 700,000 is be careful.

Because others could say if one gun owner is a criminal they all are.

Wasn't McViegh an ultra-right wing RKBA type? Does that mean you could snap anytime, you believe in the same stuff. If IIRC he didn't like the UN either. Maybe you should be restricted from renting Ryder trucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I didn't say anything about him being guilty.
Take some reading comprehension classes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:

View Quote

not one "allegedly" in your post. I got what you were inferring.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#41]
No, I am just getting tired of you people bashing cops all of the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah let's go pick on the real baddies the UN. With all their death-camps and invasion plans. Not to mention their insidious plan to make the American public lose faith in their police and call for an all UN invasion, err police force.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#43]
NO-AR,

Hey guy, the Imbr(ed) remark while surely in jest might make one think your non ad-hominem integrity is starting to crack!  Please I am having a hard enough time with the fact you were bashing cops, albeit German ones on a different thread.

SGB,

Are you saying that what we call children are incapable of pulling the pin and offing a room full of innocent LEO's???  Damnit Man, don't tell me you have turned to the dark side?  Please tell me you are not a LEO basher too?  There is treatment for self-loathing if you have turned to the dark side.  Don't listen to Imbrog though he would probably say all you have to do is get a "real" job doing something productive, instead of something leach like.  He is probably a closet libertarian, therefore no one should listen to him.

My last point for you is do you think my job (and therefore the whole economy) would not be in jepordy if there were no LEO's???  I am sure that the entire deep-fried pastry industry would suffer a blow that would doom it to eternal poverty.  Do you think they would not lay me off, a lowly donut store assistant mangager?  I think so!  Yes Mr. SGB I am unfortuneatly very old (and fat) and I have no idea if my parental units are aware of the fact I am on my computer right now battling the forces of evil, LEO-bashers especially, even though you believe I am some crack smoker.

Imbrog,

5 kids plus 1 on the way??? Damn dood, if you weren't such a LEO-Basher (tm) I would seriously consider puting you on Hero list!  How the hell did you do that?  I already know the mechanics of it(honest), I meant how did you convince your wife 6 times?  With my better half it was like pulling teeth for two kids, you'd think she was delivering them sideways w/out anesthesia!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I didn't think I was bashing, just pointing out that they have different standards of conduct than officers in other countries.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#47]
[size=2][blue]You guys are amazing.  Support the LEO's at ANY cost.

I'll bet if the story were about the cops arresting some kiddie pornographer, not one damn cop supporter here would stand up for the alleged pornographer and demand to know both sides of the story.

Hypocrites.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Word Up BeeKeeper,

Damn dude, you had me thinkin Imbrog was some kind of stud, or a (non kiddie) Porn Star.

Yet another star falls.

Excellent Leg Yank though!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I agree.  I wouldn't ask for his side of the story.  I expect the cops to have evidence to support them arresting this person.

But that doesn't pertain to this what we are looking at is Police over reacting and abusing there power.  Now the point about one of the kids may have had a grenade is valid.  What I got from the artical is that the police interogated(questioned) the kids at gun point.  I think that that is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#50]
F4YR's: Where are the posts that say the cops were right?? I see several people saying that the news article was so incomplete that they didn't feel they could make an informed decision about this incident.

Of course it would be clearer if you didn't have all that hate effecting your vision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top