Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2005 1:20:01 PM EDT
I sent a RRA barrel of to a "dealer/gunsmith" to have the fake FS remove, barrel cut to 14.5, threaded and a phanton fs installed.  I took a good look at it and it was a hack job.  I removed the phanton fs and what I saw as buy a new barrel time.  The guy used a hack saw to cut the barrel and it wasnt even square at all.  The "crown" looks like it was done with a counter sink tool.  Only half of the bore was "crowned".  I wont post the comapnys name that did it here in the open but it was done by a well known  place and recommend by others here.  I have to emailed them since they took there phone number off there site and have not heard from them.  

I may try to save the barrel myself but I know I will be buying a new barrel.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, dude, I want to know who the hell it was so I don't give them my business.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I sent a RRA barrel of to a "dealer/gunsmith" to have the fake FS remove, barrel cut to 14.5, threaded and a phanton fs installed.  I took a good look at it and it was a hack job.  I removed the phanton fs and what I saw as buy a new barrel time.  The guy used a hack saw to cut the barrel and it wasnt even square at all.  The "crown" looks like it was done with a counter sink tool.  Only half of the bore was "crowned".  I wont post the comapnys name that did it here in the open but it was done by a well known  place and recommend by others here.  I have to emailed them since they took there phone number off there site and have not heard from them.  

I may try to save the barrel myself but I know I will be buying a new barrel.  

how 'bout you post the name in the team forum?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged.

Pictures and name time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I PM the name, if you think i should post it before talked to them I will.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you have tried to contact them about the problem with no joy, I have to agree. Picts of the FU and then the name of the company.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason that any other member should have to experience that also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
removing a FS from a 14.5" barrel and talking about it here is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
He obviously failed to solder on the Phantom to your SBR as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Please, contact info.
CH
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Unless the FS is permanently attached, that would seem to be an NFA violation.  Or maybe I'm missing something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sounds like he had it removed so he could have it cut down to 14.5 from its original length...then to add the FS back on to make it 16.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Unless the FS is permanently attached, that would seem to be an NFA violation.  Or maybe I'm missing something?

SBR, obviously
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

SBR, obviously

You think so?  There's nothing that says SBR to me in the original description.  Plus, why in the world would someone go through the paperwork and $200 stamp to have a 14.5" SBR ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
No reason not to post it here....IMO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well,  I am sure the company in question was SUPPOSED to attach it permanently, but did a shitty job.  That is the point of this post.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#15]
tagged for info
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well,  I am sure the company in question was SUPPOSED to attach it permanently, but did a shitty job.  That is the point of this post.

well, somebody better get the JB weld out, pronto.

Or at least get the barrel off the upper.

Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
trag
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
take it to a smith with a lathe, they are easy to fix...
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Then I definitely want the name too - because that makes a crappy job on top of a shitty job !  
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Pics on the way.  It was perm attached I had to dremal the pin out. I will put this on my pistol lower until i get it fixed with a perm FS
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It was perm attached I had to dremal the pin out. I will put this on my pistol lower until i get it fixed with a perm FS

Got it - sorry for the confusion.  That does sound like a TERRIBLE job they did.  I vote that you out them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Do tell
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagliony.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for info and outcome.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Pics on the way.  It was perm attached I had to dremal the pin out. I will put this on my pistol lower until i get it fixed with a perm FS

What reason did you have to suspect it was a bad job?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
so I've got a couple counter sinks, two hack saws, a dremel tool, and a welder!  what does that make me?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagaroni & cheese.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#28]
It didnt look right when I was looking at it and I took it to a local gunsmith and he confirmed it with a borescope.  I then cut the pinned FS off and had a good look.

Pic are dl'ing from camera now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
tag for the pics!
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]
The reason I am not posting the name is I really dont know what the back lash with be for it by the moderators...
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
so I've got a couple counter sinks, two hack saws, a dremel tool, and a welder!  what does that make me?  

Speacial Weapons
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

umm, +1
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The reason I am not posting the name is I really dont know what the back lash with be for it by the moderators...

Trust me. It will only get worse if other members use this company and get screwed and then get mad because YOU didn't warn them.

I would think that the moderators would rather you post the name to warn others then withhold it to keep from starting a crap storm.

Use your head son!
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag

Post the name.  Backlash from the mods?  You're giving an honest report.  I doubt the mods have a problem with factual reporting.  If they do, time to take our money elsewhere  

Let's here who.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That might be a good point

I was looking at having mine re-done to no ban, but if I cant trust acurate (both good and bad) feedback here....... Truly a sad day for this site.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Here they are and all I can say is its the opposite of subtract-co

Pics removed
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#37]
hacksaw?  I think they used a cutting torch
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#38]
They're probably breaking in a new intern. Give'em a break...they have start somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I think it's very admirable that the shop hires blind gunsmiths.

Actually, I think a blind 'smith could have done a swell job. Geez. The word "hack" is incredibly appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]
That is pathetic.

I work in a machine shop.  Neither I nor our head machinist had ever worked with a rifle barrel on our lathe.  We turned down and threaded an M4 barrel that I was working on and it turned out BEAUTIFULLY.  

It is apparent that this "gunsmith" had no idea what he was doing and does not have the proper equipment for a job like that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
They're probably breaking in a new intern. Give'em a break...they have start somewhere.

Yeah but how about something besides someone else's gun barrel?

Sorry bout your barrel.  I'm thinking someone owes you for fixing it or getting a new one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I say post the name AFTER you've contacted them about the bbl. Then you can post the name and what sort of corrective action they are going to take, if any.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I was going to use them to cut and perm attach FH's on my 2 barrels. Good thing I haven't had the extra cash to get it done, i guess

I have been told good things about their work. Disappointing

Hopefuly, you and +CO work things out. Keep us posted on this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but how about something besides someone else's gun barrel?

I was being sarcastic. I've only heard good things about ADCO...I'd be real surprised if they didn't make good on this. Then again, I'm surprised they release that barrel in the condition they did. Good luck.

Edited to add: I am assuming it's ADCO based on the authors statement...not real difficult.

Quoted:
Here they are and all I can say is its the opposite of subtract-co

Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Theres no excuse for that hack job. From my understanding its perfectly ok to report bad business just not bash them(as in "those lousy SOB's look what they did!")

IMO its your duty as a consumer to let other consumers know when I company has done you wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Theres no excuse for that hack job. From my understanding its perfectly ok to report bad business just not bash them(as in "those lousy SOB's look what they did!")

IMO its your duty as a consumer to let other consumers know when I company has done you wrong.

Be good to tell us so this doesnt happen to others.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#49]
TAG.COM
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#50]
all i can say is wow and stare at those pictures in disbelief...

after seeing this thread I bet subtract co will try to correct the problem due to the negative publicity, but they should have never let that leave their shop in the first place, that job is unaceptable!

on a side note I wonder how many other uppers received the same treatment and the owners are just unaware of it...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top