Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 10:09:22 PM EDT
...I am a product of the latter 1/2 of the 20th Century and a late entry to the World of Firearms.

My SIN?

I have forsaken additions to my collection from the Holy Trinity of Colt; Winchester; and Smith&Wesson!

It seems that I must be "new school" vs. "old school" in that I don't own a 1911/.45; a Model 70/.30-06; or a Model 19/.357.
These three guns seem to be a necessity according to a lot of the guys I spoke with before getting "into" guns a few short years ago.

As I delved into the studies, my observations led me to Beretta; Remington; and Ruger.
They appealed to me for various reasons, including design features, feel, strength, etc.

Even commonality of function figured into it regarding safeties being either "on or off", like a light switch, whether a button on the autoloaders and shotguns or the rifle safety switch on the bolt-actions.  Simple and hard to forget.  Natural and easy to remember when handling different firearms.
The Berettas are great guns and the safety is on or off.
The Rugers are just simply tough and well engineered.

I went bananas on the controlled-round-feed vs. push-feed thing.  Finally, I've read some positive things on the push-feed system to put that to rest.

What must I do to atone for my "SINS"?

(Disclaimer!--- I have in no way intended to start anyone off on the irreverent reference to "sin", so, don't start!  HUMOR ONLY...  Stick with the gun thing, please. Thank you.)  

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My Son,
Thou art weak. For thou to atone for thy sins thou shalt make a contibution to continue God's work and prevent others from following your path to Damnation! Ye shall make a $500 dollar donation to:

Dave's Church for Gunners

If thou hast forgotten the address please email me and I shall forward it.

Only by sending this atonement shall ye be forgiven!

Pastor Dave
Dave's Church for Gunners
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You have been absolved, by brother, for I too have gone the way of the Ruger (10/22), Beretta(92FS), and Remington (m870 20 ga.).

I also have a 1911, by Springfield, and I think the Beretta is a better gun. It feels better in my hand, I'm not too crazy about cocked and locked carry, and you can tell if the Beretta has a round (or at least a casing) "in the pipe".

I like the Smith & Wesson revolvers, but the only Smith I had was a m6906 POS.  If I were you, I would not buy a Smith Autoloader, because in my experience, the rack-grade models are NOT that accurate and the mag springs are REAL weak.

I have no beef with Winchester, and their m94 I owned was one of the best rifles I ever had.  I also owned a m1200, which was pretty stout, but had an aluminum reciever (which could not be touched up).

BTW, Beretta and Remington are not NEW companies.  Beretta is probably one of the oldest gunmakers in the world (400 or 500 years in the biz), and Remington is right there with Winchester in the quality and age departments.

I think alot of this business of owning these guns (Colt, Winchester, and S&W) is brought about by the gunwriters of the time.  Jeff Cooper, Elmer Kieth, and others who I can't think of right now all had their preferences.
Cooper helped make the 1911, and poo-pooed many other guns (like the "poodle shooter" AR-15) that are very successful.  Some older gun people may seem to emulate people like Cooper.  They think what they used "back in the good old days" still beats anything else out there, which is simply not true.  The older guns, like the 1911, are still good, but others have come along with designs that at least equal them, or even surpass them, in certain areas (weight, capacity, ease of field stripping, etc.)

The bottom line is to use what you like, as long as it is of quality, and it sounds to me that what you have is as good as anything else out there.

You have been forgiven (at least by me) [O:)]

Urban

[sniper]  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
"Thou must use thy tax refund to buy thyself more "tools of the brotherhood of liberty", only through this, will you be forgiven."

Book of Liberty 5:56

[RELAX FOLKS, THIS IS A JOKE, OK]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I did get carried away with all of this to the point of picking the "oldest" gun manufacturer in the world (in fact, Beretta is the oldest continuously run business in the world at 470+ years, and still run by the Beretta family); the oldest American gun company, Remington; and the oldest American scope company, Redfield...

HOWEVER- - -

Were I to atone for my sins by choosing one of the guns from each of the omitted companies, the guns would be:
1.  1911 - The new Kahr Arms / Auto Ordnance 1911A1
2.  Winchester Model 70 - A new Classic Featherweight in, NOT .30-06, but, in 6.5x55 Swedish!!!
3.  Smith&Wesson - A model 649 Bodyguard in .357 Magnum.

Will that do?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thou art not alone, I too have fallen prey to the demons... alloys,polymers,guns with(gulp) no wood !!!
Fear not, for as you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, take comfort for you are well armed.
[x]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My Bennelli 12ga , and my Glock 21 shall accompany me for my walk through the valley of the shadow of death!

[+]:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
All weapons of mass destruction will be confiscated and disposed of in an appropriate manner.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to be bless some more.  Pass the ammo and a full auto trigger pack please.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, I've been a gun owner for almost 50 years, and I don't own any of the three guns you mentioned either.  I have owned the Colt .45 (several in fact) and the S&W Model 19 (and 66), but haven't felt the need to have either in many years.  I wonder, does that make me a modernized old fart? [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top