Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 9:37:29 AM EDT
I need some input on purchasing a firearm that uses this ammo.  Reason...it is so inexpensive to shoot.  What would be a good firearm to buy?  Also would a Ruger Mini 30 hold up with the use of the steel case ammo?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
what type of shooting do you plan do to with this caliber?  As far as mini30's go, their accuacy is nothing special, proper functioning mags are hard to fine. there are several other trival things about it that keep it from being a very fine firearm.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes the Ruger would hold up.I'd get a SKS you can get them for around 200 and there reliable.about the same accuracy as the mini 30
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know much about the Ruger Mini30, however I do know about the SKS and AK's that uses this round. For the most part they are inexpensive. SKS being the more accurate out of the 2.

AK's do have a variant that is pretty accurate and that is the Izhmash made Saiga.

Both are fun to shoot. If you are gonna get an SKS might I suggest Russian or Romanian made. These are made better than the Chinese one. If I am not mistaken Chinese barrels are pinned on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Get an SKS.  Cheap and great shooters.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a SAR-1 from Wholesale Guns and Ammo that I'm happy with. $304 with shipping and FFL transfer. Came with 1 30rnd mag. Aim Surplus is another outfit that has good deals.
Bought 10 30rnd mags, for the SAR-1, from Tennessee Guns for $5.50 each.
Fun gun to shoot, and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Romanian SKS.

The Ruskie's are getting expensive or they've been refurbished which can mean anything. (Refurbs have a black painted bolt carrier.)

Chinese SKS has a soft wood stock. (Soft wood, not softwood.) Also, stamped parts, pinned bbl.

The Romanian is well built, well finished, good quality, accurate. Chrome bore is tough. Romanian SKS is also C&R eligible. Inexpensive, rugged, cool as hell, cheap to shoot, deadly out to about 300 yds.

AK is the high capacity choice. This one is marginally legal. They're being assembled in the US these days, and have US parts to comply with 922r. Some are fine. Some have crooked sights, gas tube mounts. Stamped sheet metal receiver is . . . well, it's stamped.

Both guns have a short buttstock and pretty low comb. I prefer the Romanian SKS, which is legal for a bayo in its stock, 10 rd. mag config.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
carefull with the romanian sks's, alotta them have very corroded bores, so do some of the russians. take a cleaning rod before u buy. to tell u the truth there is nothing wrong with the chicom guns, they feel a little cheaper made, but they are the most accurate outta the 3, and they were never issued and shot out. i dont see why a pinned barrel or stamped parts are a problem, ever heard of one falling apart?? i havnt. i have an awsome '51 tula sks and a beat up ugly norinco sks, and the norinco as ugly as it is still shoots better.

if you really want a great gun for the $$ get a ssr-85 from global trades, run about $470. little more expensive then the other parts guns out there but the are made out of unissued polish parts(very nice) on hungarian rec's with new hungarian wood. they are sweet rifles and from what i hear very accurate. (i have one on the way)

id stay away from the mini series, any ak will group better, plus the mini30 has a .308 bore where as all your imported 7.62x39 has a .311 bullet. besides just look at mag costs an ak mag runs $5-$7. whats a good high cap mini mag run?? id say go with an ak
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a Russian SKS on auctionarms for $200... looks new...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The ideal 7.62x39 chambered rifle for the serious AR enthusiast:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/dj/a1/gc/el61704.jpg[/img]

An AR15 in 7.62x39. A great combination, in my opinion.

Otherwise, any of the AK type clones seem to be fine for what you pay. I've got a couple of Chinese MAK-90s that I picked back when $200 was still on the high side for them. The MAK-90 on the bottom in this pic has the ACE stock, handguard, FAL grip, and US internal parts installed.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/O8/XS/cS/gS76752.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I would definately go with an SKS.

I have two.  One russian, one Romanian.  My russian is a 53 Ivshesk (sp?).  It has a slightly dark bore, but distinct rifling.  I also have a Romanian with a mirror chrome lined bore.

Both are more accurate than I am right now, with a slight edge on the romanian for obvious reasons.

The best investment you will ever make is bore-light or a small flashlight that you can use to look down the bore.  I almost bought a Gibbs enfield in .308 until I shined the bore-light down the barrel and saw some major damage to the rifling of that particular gun.  Not a ding on Gibbs, that specific rifle was just damaged.

Get a bore light and check out the sks, I like to shoot it more than my AK.  they are built like tanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AK is the high capacity choice. This one is marginally legal. They're being assembled in the US these days, and have US parts to comply with 922r. Some are fine. Some have crooked sights, gas tube mounts. Stamped sheet metal receiver is . . . well, it's stamped.
View Quote

And a stamped AK receiver effects the AK in what manner? I've got a load of AKs from cheap Romanian SARa to a nice custom Izhmash SAIGA AK-103K, stamped and milled receivers. Never noticed any difference. The myth that the stamped AK receiver is less accurate is long dead.

May I also suggest to the original poster to look at the VEPR rifles. These are made in Russia by MOLOT on a stamped heavy RPK receiver and fire a number of rounds, the 7.63x39 uses standard AK mags. Robinson Arms and Tenessee Guns both carry them, but Robinson Arms is more experienced in customizing them.

If you really want a 7.62x39, SKS is OK, but they are really a hit or miss gun these days. The new US made Arsenal AK on a milled receiver is supposed to be top notch. (These are made by Arsenal of Bulgaria's shop here in the US so they can thwart the import ban- hey, why not bring the manufacturer HERE if we can't bring the guns here!)

Check out one of the AK boards for a source for these rifles...

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're looking to buy one because of the cheap ammo, buy an AK.

Actually, by an AK just to own an AK.

Buy one because it's another nice addition to your military rifle collection.

Buy one because it's so hated by the anti's.

Buy one because you can get one with the pistol grip fairly cheap nowadays.

Don't just buy an SKS because they're a little cheaper.

Buy one because they're cheap and FUN to shoot.

If your looking for accuracy in a military weapon, stick with an AR or an FAL.

And by the way, those Romanian AK's are just fine. The early ones got some bad reviews, but all the ones I've seen are great and function fine. No complaints with mine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go with an SKS, Romanian preferably. The stocks look like hell, but the internals are usually in great shape. Get a $30 synthetic stock and blast away. Cheap, accurate to a decent range, and fun.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
An AK or a SKS either would be a good bet.  I personally love the AK's.  The Romanian SAR 1 can still be found for around 300.00, though it will not stay that way for much longer.  Get one while you can.  Like you said, the ammo is cheap, and 30 round mags can be found for under 10.00.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Stop thinking so much. Buy all three a case of ammo for each and your set.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy an SKS and buy a Chinese one.  You can find one thats NIB.  You can also find a paratrooper one with a 16 inch barrel.  You can throw it in the back of your truck, leave it out in the rain and use it as a canoe paddle.  Their cheap and ain't too purty.  Screwed vs. pinned barrels ... what a bunch of hooey.  All SKS barrels are threaded.  The difference is whether or not the barrel is then secured with a lock nut or pins.  That's your gun smiths problem and is not a detriment to accuracy in the Kalishnikov (sp?) platform.  Contrary to popular belief, Chinese SKSs came in all variations of screwed/pinned stamped/miller.  If your over 5'6", Get a rubber butt pad.  Brings the sight plane down to a more comfortable position IME.
Some people say the Chinese have an ugly stock.  Not any uglier than a Mosin-Nagant.  And it doesn't look like it's been drug through eastern European mud for the last 40 years.  You decide.  Here's a couple Norinco ones, one which is a paratrooper.  MILLED receivers and the long one was a virgin until I got her.

Then buy an AK because they are so evil looking.

David

The internet is a poor place to get advice.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~routhier/taurus/rifles1.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn... SKS for 200 bucks?  I paid 90 for mine a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]
if cheap is the name of your game, i say SKS. i dont see the point in spending sevral hundred $ on a gun to shoot cheap ammo, when you could spend under 200,
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi folks,

What's all this atraction to the SKS. Simunov's little rifle is certainly cheap and available, but why wouldn't you just go and buy a new Kalashnikov instead. Like someone said, the Romanian AKs are super, and cheap. The SAR-2 (their AK-74 in 5.45) is only $239. By the time you replace your worm-eaten wood on a cheap Simunov rifle, you could have had an AK fo the same price.

The Kalashnikov op sytem (if it can be called a "system" since its so simple) was superior enough to the SKS to make the SKS obsolete long before it potentially could have been. Why not just get the AK?

I'm genuinely curious why so many of you good folks here on AR-15.com lean toward Simunov's design? (Obviously, from my post count, I am a "junior" member, whatever that is, and perhaps carry no legitimacy with the senior members, but hey- I just started posting here! I'd love to hear replies nonetheless)

Cheers!
Ez
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder why anyone would choose an SKS over an AK, too. I bought a Chinese SKS for about $100 way back when, but once I picked up the first of my MAK-90s, the SKS was relegated to the back of the gun vault. I wound up selling it to my son a couple of years ago because I hadn't used if for so long and didn't foresee ever using it again. The AK is just that much better and funner to shoot. Of course, now that I'm getting into 7.62x39 AR15s, the AKs are finding themselves used less and less and are slowly working their way to the back of the gun vault as well. They won't be getting sold, however. I think the AK has a place in every collection of guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
the only prob wit ha 7.62.39 ar is mags i wnat a 7.62 upper but from what i heard high cap mags that work can be  a pain

any way back to the main topic.

I own a pre 89 ak whoop do do its pre 89
any way i love my ak as far as good cheap shooting. i have shot my friends SKS and i might bet one also just for collection anyway

they both can be had cheaply know becouse of a large influx of imports and domestic manufactor imports just by adding enough us parts so u can use high cpas and the pistol grip on a ak.

personly id go with a AK if u want a high capacity blasting arm. its just so damn fun to load up a couple thirdy rounders and blast away really lettim em fly.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]
i've owned two SKS's and three AK's. i would skip the SKS and buy a kalishnakov. accuracy? i see little if any difference. buy either a vepr2 or a krebs custom guns AK-103 (built from a saiga). if you want to go cheap, then buy a sar-1, or 5.45 for a sar-2.

i owned a chinese NHM-91 that shot better and more comfortably than the two chinese SKS's that i had. the best of the two SKS's that i had was the paratrooper model.

fellow comrade lib [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i've owned two SKS's and three AK's. i would skip the SKS and buy a kalishnakov. accuracy? i see little if any difference. buy either a vepr2 or a krebs custom guns AK-103 (built from a saiga). if you want to go cheap, then buy a sar-1, or 5.45 for a sar-2.[}:D]
View Quote

I agree that the Krebs 103 (I have the shorty version) if a sweet gun. It does the job and does it well. I also have a SAR-1 and SAR-2 among others, and really, for all practical purposes an AK is an AK- they all shoot about the same (unless you buy used, shot out barrels) with the differences only appreciable to a good marksman (of which I am not).

Veprs are reported to be really nice. I plan on adding another VEPR to the collection, but I'm looking especially hard at that beautiful super vepr in .308. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

YES, SKS in the safe for its importance in history, but for pure fun and to get the liberal's eyerows raised, gotta go with an AK. Hell, get the SAR-2 for $239, put a KOBRA sight on it, and you have a modern, well made, down and dirty rifle that will outlive you.

Check my reviews of the Krebs AK-103K, the SAR-1 and the SAR-2 as well as the Makarov and CETME MBR at my cheesy website...

http://www.geocities.com/yak23flora

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Seamus is on center. Just get an AK. Everyone should have at least one or more variants. You can never have too many AK's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy a preban AK, they are the shit... or an SAR, or any other type of AK variant they are all fun to shoot and they look ruthless!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy a preban AK, they are the shit... or an SAR, or any other type of AK variant they are all fun to shoot and they look ruthless!
View Quote

I wonder if the attraction to pre-ban AKs is valid anymore. I've fired both, and not one is really much different from another in performance. Sure, there are th sorry low-caps that are a constant reminder of the idiots in government, and they suck just to look at!

The SARs and SAIGAs and such will function as well as any AK, after all, they are AKs!

Gotta have one or two...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top