Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 8:40:37 PM EDT
I recently handled a pistol from Infinity firearms and it seemed REAL nice, except for the $1,500.00 price tag.

Anyone have any info or experience with these guns? They [i]look[/i] like extremely well made pistols, but other than their looks I know nothing about them. Any input other than complaints about their price would be appreciated.
[img]www.sviguns.com/catalog/zgun6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember reading about them in "Handguns" Magazine about four or five years ago when they were just ramping up for production. Seemed like another custom-built 1911 with its own features to set it apart, but other than that I couldn't tell you. Maybe you could ask the editorial staff at the magazine for a reprint or ask Infinity for reprints of tests/impressions. [:\]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
They are great guns and nice frames to build on. They have a 1911 style frame but a double stack mag. They make a lot of guns for competition. Expensive but well made. Hell, any custom 1911 type is expensive. Look for Infinity, STI and handguns with your favorite search engine. I believe that's a .40 in your picture.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
They are very nice, I've seen a few at our IPSC shoots and have shot some of them. To me a double stack 1911 is a games gun where the high cap mags are really helpful. I use a Para Ordnance P16 in 40 for my gaming.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot a 38 Super built on the SV (Strayer-Voigt/ Infinity). The STI is the same frame made by the other half of the original group of fellas that brought that style frame to life. It came to life under a different name, then there was a split of the fellas and each went their own way. The factory guns are well built,
and a handfull of the Limited 40's were purchased by a local PD's Swat Weapons Officer for the crew. A couple LE also purchased for personal use/ IPSC.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Are they strictly competition guns, or can they be considered as a good, reliable carry gun? The one pictured above is claimed to be their carry version in .40.

I'm just wondering if they're as good as they claim, or if for carry purposes they're just over priced, toned down race guns.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
They are top notch guns. SVI is a custom shop and will make you anything you want, Race gun, IDPA, carry, etc... They make most of their own parts and use top of the line parts for what they don't make ( Wil Schuemann makes their barrels ). The are expensive and I understand their turn around time is quite long. They pride themselves in making guns with perfect tolerances.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
SVI makes great HIGH quality 1911 type pistols. Problem is, they are backlogged about 6-9 months. About a year ago I tried to get an SVI IPSC limited match gun. When told of the backlog I bought an STI Edge 40 and haven't looked back. STI products are just as good and are readily available. They don't offer the fancy 3 and 5 sided cuts on top of the slide like SVI does, if that's important to you. Both companies make great 1911's, both double and single stack.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Chuck at www.shootersconnection.com or
800-387-4045. He usually has pistols in stock ready to go to your FFL.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SBR7/11:
Try Chuck at www.shootersconnection.com or
800-387-4045. He usually has pistols in stock ready to go to your FFL.
View Quote

Chuck's a great guy but I talked with him at the Alabama State match in 2000 and as I recall he told me 8 months wait. He's definately worth a try though, he's probably got them in stock now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
In my opinion it`s one of, if the best platform for 1911`s. I have an Infinity for USPSA.
They are custom guns that can be made anyway your little heart desires.
Buy the frame then shop on their website for what you ant, they have a 'build yer gun' feature that`s pretty neat. You can buy the parts and have a local buil it. Building 1911`s isnt rocket science and there are plenty of goo pistol smith`s that`ll put it together right.
I bought mine bit by bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top