Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2001 6:09:33 PM EDT
I noticed this on my yahoo news page.
I would like to know where they got thier numbers from in the first sentence of the last paragraph.

Firearm Violence and Teens
Homicide and suicide are the second and third leading causes of death among teens in the United States. Gun violence is present in many homes and schools, and a study examining teens' attitudes toward firearm violence indicates that parents, educators, and doctors need to place a greater emphasis on gun violence prevention and education.

In a survey of 342 students in 9th through 12th grades in New York City public high schools, researchers asked students about the prevalence of guns in their homes, their knowledge of gun violence facts, their attitudes toward gun ownership and gun violence, and the influences shaping their opinions of gun violence.

More than 27% of students correctly identified the two most common causes of death among teens in the United States as motor vehicle accidents and homicide. Gun ownership attitudes were also surveyed: more than 43% of students said it was OK for anyone to own a gun, and 8% of students thought it was OK for children and teens to have guns. The teens surveyed often had personal experience with firearms: 41% of households were reported to have ever had a gun, and more than 57% of students responded that they or a relative had been injured by a gun at some time. About 25% of the students in this population reported that they had been personally threatened by a gun, and 26% stated that they feared being shot "daily or often." Teens who answered "yes" when asked whether it was OK for children and adolescents to own guns were much more likely to come from homes with guns.

When asked about the most important sources of their exposure to excessive gun violence, 33% of teens identified the police; more than 25% of teens identified movies; and more than 13% of teens identified music lyrics as influencing factors. In addition, more than 11% of teens said they felt the need to talk to an adult about firearm violence at least once.

What This Means to You: Guns kept in the home are 43 times more likely to be used to kill someone known to the family than to be used to kill in self-defense. If you do decide to keep a gun in your home, keep the gun locked separately from the ammunition. Talk to your child or teen about how they feel about guns and gun safety, and talk to the parents of your child's friends about whether they have guns in their homes.

Source: Pediatrics, May 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For help, see Health Help
Copyright © 2001 Yahoo! Inc. with KidsHealth. All rights reserved.
Important Disclaimers - Privacy Practices for Yahoo! Health
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
more than 57% of students responded that they or a relative had been injured by a gun at some time. About 25% of the students in this population reported that they had been personally threatened by a gun
View Quote

I find these figures hard to believe, especially in New York City, where their tight gun controls mean none of this could happen.[;D]

What This Means to You: Guns kept in the home are 43 times more likely to be used to kill someone known to the family than to be used to kill in self-defense.
View Quote

This figure had been quoted before and has been proven by people such as John Lott to be an outright lie.  I believe that all the figures in this entire study were made up to suit their purpose.[:(]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The "43 times" is BS from a setup "study". I don't remember who it was that published the lie in the first place, but Bill Clinton, Sarah Brady, Don Perata, Cheryl Jacques, and the like have been trying to keep the lie alive. Maybe the NRA/ILA site has information on who it was that did the "study".
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured it was bogus when I clicked of the topic.The 57% that said they or a relative had been injured by a gun really got me.What a load of crap.[puke]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
why didn't they question 342 students in....say....rural Pennsylvania,?  

Hmmmm,... think they may have asked a bunch of inner city kids because they knew there would be a better chance some of them were exposed to firearms in a NEGATIVE aspect?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
as far as that so called "study" goes i smell alot of BULLSHIT it would be like going down to a gaybar in san fransisco and asking people what they felt about gay rights
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Being 16 myself...

I love hearing my friends views towards firearms.  Many say they hate them, and 99% of those who say that hate them have never seen one, handled one, let alone fired one.  A vast majority look at me wierd when I mention that I have taken classes involving firearms, and that I enjoy shooting them.  Especially since I am not the stereotypical teenage gun nut...I am very clean cut, american eagle-wearing, foot ball playing 16 year old, who happens to enjoy firearms, and firmly believes in my constitutional rights to bear arms.  People either love it, or hate it.  They either want me to talk about my "experiences" however limited they are, or they never want to hear about it again.  But one thing really made me think.  In one of my classes, there was a teenager who thought it would be cool to make threats with guns, and had done so to one of my friends in the class, who was an anti.  But he said to me at the end of the year, "I definently felt better knowing that there was someone in my class who knew guns like you do, and used them in a positive manner".  I guess he felt I could magically disable that person should the time ever come, but I wasnt sure how to take that comment (mainly because it didnt make sense) but it did make me think there is hope for some people like him...Odd comment, but I figured I'd share it.  I still dont understand exactly what I meant, but it was suprising.

I also did a speech on gun control.  After the speech, our teacher allowed a question/answer type session.  Every single girl that asked me a question asked me about something I had just gotten finished explaining 5 minutes before then in my speech.  I did a session how in Australia, when they did the nation wide ban of guns, how the armed crime rate increased by 44%, and must have gotten 5 questions/opinions about how gun control would stop all of the armed crime...so I figure, there isnt hope for everyone...haha.

Though many people will admit, they want to atleast learn about firearms, for matters of defending themselves from firearms, and I suppose thats ok...my mom is very much like that.  She hates guns, but she atleast was willing to learn about them, incase she ever had to defend herself with one.  She hates guns, but knows how to field strip a beretta and an AR, so I suppose I can deal with that.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I love how people think that gun control will end everything (gun violence wise) like that.  Whenever I explain to someone how easy it is for a criminal to get a gun and how gun control can do nothing to stop that, and how easy it would be at anytime, they just stop in their tracks.  I know its sad, but its true.  I asked them how many of those people do you think buy their guns legally, and how gun control would affect the people like us who legally purchase firearms.  Then I bring up...well, what about us people who use guns responsibly, and prefer to use them for defense?  If a criminal on the streets can get one, why cant I get one for matters of defense?  The fact of the matter is that anyone who wants to use a gun for a crime will get one, NO MATTER WHAT.  Anyone can, no matter where they live.  SO why take the guns out of the citizens of the US who use them responsibly for matters of defense or sport?

THEN I bring up the part about possible revolutions.  Believe it or not, many of the people in my school (even the anti's) who have taken US history would agree that its going to happen, and it is just a matter of time, and that it could be for a vast number of issues, UN, constitution (good old #2) and others.  When I ask them what they're going to do when armed soldiers arrive at their doorstep (for whatever reason) they dont know what to say.  Then I explain to them how it will by my ass on the line defending them and other anti's, along with the other gun owners, such as the great crowd on this forum.  When the UN comes knocking at my door trying to disarm me, they're going to be in for a suprise when Im across the street with an AR and a beta C ready to defend my constitution (no I dont say that to my peers), but you get the idea.  When someone comes trying to take away their rights, or their constitution, its going to be the red blooded FREE americans who are going to stand up to the issues.  Not the tree hugging hippies who smoke weed all day, which so many of my peers have turned into.

Then again, I did just take my two best friends to the range with me and my dad and introduced them to the world of Beretta 92's and Ruger 10/22's.  Two former anti's now begging me to take them shooting next time.  And to top it off, my new girlfriend is begging me to teach her about firearms as well.  God I love it.

Sorry if some parts of my post do not make sense, I did this post in a hurry, and Im sure I missed a few things on the way, probably some important points as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top