Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2001 8:50:10 PM EDT
Ok, I am in my second semester of freshman year and I have zero free time, I haven't posted in two weeks. Calc III is kicking my ass, we have to memorize everything since it is calculator free. Does it get any worse?

radioman
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
RadioMan:
It does suck to be you.
Seriously, Yes it does get worse, depending just which engineering you're in.
I was mechanical...jeez, did that suck arse.
ThermoI/II, Statics, Machinery I/II,ALGOR,blahblahblah...
But on the bright side, when you're done, you'll be capable of solving just about any problem that comes your way.
Also, the $$$ ain't so bad either.
Stick to it & take as many odd-ball electives that you can (German, Recreation studies,etc) because those classes are where the ladies are.

Paul

BTW, which school are you at?
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Been there.  I'm a Computer Engineering Senior.  It only gets worse!  The difference is that you will adjust and learn how to study better.... I hope [:)]
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in electrical. You are right about the girlies though, my engr/math/physics classes are 95% male. My GE courses are 75% female. Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
RadioMan:

Is that Electrical Engr or Electrical/Electronics Engr?

Either way, it was too hard for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel your pain. I did the double major in physics & EE thing. Stick with it...just keep thinking of all the bitchin' rifles you'll be able to afford when you graduate. I'd be happy to try and answer any Calc III questions you have, if I can remember any of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It gets worse -- once you graduate, that is! I'm a project lead software engineer and manager with 15 year experience. The majority of graduates I interview have virtually no knowledge of how to handle large software projects, but they are quite knowledgeable in mathematics. So, my advice is to get into a good intership program a couple of years prior to graduation regardless of your major. Also, if you decide to go the graduate school route, it's better to get it out of the way ASAP (unless you're after an MBA). The reason being that you'll still remember the undergradute BS and you'll still be in "the zone" as far as memory and energy is concerned.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Your just warming up! Thermo II, Fluid Mech, Accustic vibrations lab. I.  Turned me into an Accounting/OP. Management maj.  But, I found where all the girls were at (The College of Buisness!!)
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
It will be good once you get out!  Calc and Differential Equations are bummers.  Im a Civil Engineer
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I you're in EE, just wait til you get to Electromagnetics 1,2, and especially 3!!!  I think I had about a 25 average in E-mag 3 and came out with a B+!!! Talk about grading on a curve!!![:D]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool... so what you're saying is that if I go back to school to finish my BEE I'll have a smorgasbord of men to choose from!!!  Yeah for me!!  

Curious.. what does the salary range look like because I already make a good living as a telecommunications technician?
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel stewpid
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
For those "GPA boosting classes," take anything in Phys. Ed.  The classes are easy and plenty of HOT chicks! ooooooooooooooh mama........
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Hang in there, Radioman.  Freshman engineering classes are the "weed-out" courses.  This is how people find out if they came to college to party or to get an education.  The party crowd has a lot of fun for four years and graduate with Physcology or Art History degrees, both of which are essentialy useless.

Your Junior and Senior classes will be easier, but only because you will have gotten smarter, believe it or not.  Plus theses classes are smaller and you get more face-time with the professors.

So don't give up.  You can have fun next year.  Or ration your "liberty."  Free time and partying are more fun if you don't do them all the time anyways.

Gus Laskaris, P.E.
B.S. Civil Engineering
Louisiana Tech University 1994
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I am a sophmore Mech. Engr.  You're right about calc III it sux pretty hard especially the series parts.  Gus speaks the truth about "weed out" courses.  Over half the people I started with have switched to graphic arts or some bs like that.  Hang in there, if it's something you really want to do.  Does your college offer free tutoring?  I have found this invaluable in my math classes thus far.
Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in my second semester of engineering and believe me I feel your pain.  No time at all.  It's like a ratrace.  All I can say is hang in there, that's what I'm tryin to do!

ques
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in my second semester of engineering here at Purdue.  It definitely does suck, but I guess it will all be worth it in the end.  I should be making a big enough salary to buy all the AR-15's I want. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Miss Mag, yes, lots of guys if you like geeks (like myself, I must admit). he he

Check this url:

[url]swz-hotjobs.salary.com[/url]

Their salary wizard is pretty accurate, at least for the west coast.

(edited to fix link)
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
RealOaf: I go to USD, and I'm in electrical.

radioman
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Who said you had to take electives to meet chicks?

In several of my junior and senior extractive metallurgy courses, I was the only guy!  Melanie and Heidi were the chicks.:(

I had a serious case of burnout when I started my junior year.  Trying to work your way through school with an engineering major sucks big time.  I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.  

My tough courses were Diffy Q and P chem.  After that, they sorta pushed me along until I graduated.  Too bad the field is so damned narrow with little turnover.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]
radioman, it will get easier, but no time soon.  Once you get past Electromagnetic Fields and Linear Systems and Signals it's all downhill.  If you're like me and don't like abstract math, stay away from random processes, probability theory, and solid state physics.  Good Luck.

Hey Gus Laskaris, I graduated from Louisiana Tech in 96 with a B.S. in EE.  I miss that place.  It was much better than the university I am at now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top