Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 4:23:12 PM EDT
I'm too weak and I might buy it.

It's a Smith&Wesson Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" and it's a classic Smithy N-frame 357Magnum.

I'm a lover of the N-frames and this prestine little gem down at the local gun shop is only 495 dollars.   If it's there next week I'm likely going to buy it but I really shouldn't, I wouldn't like to have to put it on a credit card but I'm thinking a 28 in this condition is gonna be a rare find.   If I can rate it I'd put it at around 95% condition, IT'S NICE!

Rew, if you're out there I know you'd appreciate this handgun.

Background info here guys, I've got a 1950's Smith&Wesson 38/44 Outdoors man that is pretty high in miles so I'm looking for a replacement model for this large framed 38spl(yes, it's an N-frame 38spl, predecessor to the 357mag).  I love the 38/44 dearly but I just can't put that many rounds through it any more as it's had enough as is.    The Model 28 down at the shop has recessed cylinders for the shells, a pinned barrel, and those itty bitty grips that were popular up through the 70s, the side plate only has 3 screws though unlike the 4 screws that my 38/44 has.

Oh man, seriously if this revolver is there the next time I'm in the shop I'm likely going to get it whether or not I've got the cash on hand.

Just wanted to share I guess.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Get it quick, back years ago I had one, and due to the malady of new kids and the disease lack -of-loot I had to sell it. Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That price seems a little high.  I've seen them around here for about $400 for ones in very good condition.

Oh, I see that you are in Kalifornia... that explains the high price.    
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is used(sounds like it), I'd say go for it.  Sounds like you really want it.  Unless of your course your wife has threatened the Bobitt treatment if you bring another home.  Then it is up to you to determine which gun you value most!  
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
if u want it and u can afford it buy it
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I think the days of finding them for a deal are gone.  Perhaps if it was one of the more used 28s at 70-80% then it would be down around 300 or less, when I say 95% I'm probably being a little conservative.   This thing hardly has any marks on it in all the usual spots, just a little bit of a mark on the recoil face area where the shells imprint and just a little bit of marring on the cylinder from the cylinder stop.   It's been treated extremely well and 495 doesn't seem out of the question, that's why it's so hard to fight the urge, hell even the forcing cone is SPOTLESS.   If they were asking 650 or something like that it would be easier to pass on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy it!!!!!!!!!

I have a S&W mod 28 also..........it's a great revolver.  I say that it is unbreakable (were talking SAFE reloads here).  I used to load up pretty hot for mine.  

Mine is a local police trade in that I had reblued.  I put a set of Pachmyer rubber grips on it and a Wolf spring kit in it.  IMHO it will out-shoot and out last any revolver that S&W is building today.  This is one of my favorite revolvers in my collection, and it gets used quite a bit.  I bet I have put more rounds through it, in the 2 years that I have owned it, than the police did since it was new.

I see them in gun shops for $275-350 in 80-90% condition.  Remember for a classic revolver in 95% the value is whatever one is willing to pay.  Like with everything no longer made, the average condition ones are available everywhere.......but there is only a few in pristine condition.

Again........Buy it

OSA
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't buy it.  You'll shoot your eye out!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeow! Sticker shock! ...... Thats true love!
View Quote

I'm with anothergene.  It seems a bit high, but you can NEVER go wrong with an N-frame.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Asking people here, is like crackheads asking their dealer if they should buy more crack.
I got myself a S&W Model 10-8 38 Spl (USED), and I love the damm thing.  Goes bang when I pull the trigger.  4 inch heavy barrel.  Nice groups at 30 FT.  Right in the chest area on the target.  
I keep it now in the drawer next to my bed.  Thats the one I go for first, then comes out the mossy!
c-rock
www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Price is too high.  Even if it were a Model 27 the price would still be a bit high.

But if ya got the bucks I am sure it is a fine piece.  I'd scrape it up and offer $400 cash out the door (more persuasive than a damn credit card).  All he can do is say no.  Maybe he'll say yes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Talk you out of it?  I am losing that talk with myself, over an NAA Guardian .380.  Talk you out of it???  That would be like the Blind leading the Blind!  
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a highway patrolman .357 from quite a few years back. Not even a full box of shells through it. It's a great gun though. The barrel is a little short so the bullet drop is pretty high but other than that a beaut. Go for it.

Mikie
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't buy it.  You'll shoot your eye out!
View Quote

LMAO [8D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you can afford it, I say buy it!  My dad lost out on a gun like this one time... We left the shop thinking we'd go look around, and 30 minutes later, it was gone.  I love getting guns at low prices, but if this really is a rare find, the ribbing I take from my friends, telling me I could've bought it cheaper, won't be as bad as the kicking I'd be giving myself everytime I think of a gun I should have bought.  You'd be lucky if it were still there when you go back...

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Great gun but too high.  In my area (Northern Virginia) a really good condition 28 goes in the $350 - $400 range.  However, for whatever reason, they seem to be pretty common here.

I share your pain!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
DO IT.  DO IT NOW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Leave it alone. Dig deaper and hold out for a Colt Python. Like the AR-15, everything else falls short.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I say F*** S&W!

Then again what the hell do I know I like some of their revolvers too....

Yep, ya' gotta buy it if it feels like too much to pass up, or your gonna whine to yourself like a little baby for the rest of your life about it and every other gun u passed on.

Go out and get it tommorow man!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]
You will kick yourself in the fanny if it gets away from you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one, and I LOVE it!  It is the best shooting non-rimfire revolver I own!  You must buy it!!  YOU MUST OWN IT!!

Everyone needs one!!

Hehehe

[pistol]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#23]
AWW go ahead man!  You know you want it and you probably won't sleep until you buy it.  

I know how it is, I whined and moaned about what I was going to buy, and then It appeared on the shelf, a Beretta 92FS.  I bought it on the spot.  You see I am weak and compulsive.  My compulsive nature gets me in trouble with my wife all the time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#24]
$500 for a wheelgun???

It MUST be one of those full auto, armor piercing, hi capacity revolvers the antis keep telling us about.

If ya like it, buy it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Just seen this on GunsAmerica.  Seems fair enough:

[b][red]Model Name: 28-2 Hwy Ptrol, ** NIB **
Price     : $359.00
Seller    : A.F.L.
Contact   : http://www.gunsamerica.com/gogetgun.cgi?gun_number=976121092
Description:
**** ABSOLUTELY NEW IN BOX **** Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman, Pinned & Recessed, .357 Magnum, 6 inch barrel, blue gun. Serial NO: N150xx. ABSOLUTELY BRAND NEW IN THE 2-PIECE BOX with the metal corners and all papers and tools. You don,t find many of  these in Brand New condition. Still has the factory grease on it!! Should have some photos in a few days, but it may not be for sale that long. Anyway, you know what these look like! Buyer pays shipping. Prefer Email contact, thanks.  
No Photo Yet[/red][/b]

OSA
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#26]
My brother-in-law has one, very nice. All that weight just keeps you on target. I too think it is a little high priced, however.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy it.  Your only weak if you don't buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.  Buy it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude.  It has been two days since yous posted this thread.  Well, have you bought it or not?

Come on buy it, remember you are getting a tax rebate soon.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Old Spfld Armory, thanks for the heads up!

I'm gonna contact the seller and I've got a message on my dealer's answering machine, the only thing that gets me is that I'm absolutely clueless on how California's new handgun legislation effects purchases of out of state used handguns.   I know used handguns within Ca. are easy enough to transfer, not sure about a used handgun from out of state though.   Hope it doesn't matter, but that is one hell of a model 28 and I'd love to get it!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm too weak and I might buy it.

It's a Smith&Wesson Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" and it's a classic Smithy N-frame 357Magnum.

I'm a lover of the N-frames and this prestine little gem down at the local gun shop is only 495 dollars.   If it's there next week I'm likely going to buy it but I really shouldn't, I wouldn't like to have to put it on a credit card but I'm thinking a 28 in this condition is gonna be a rare find.   If I can rate it I'd put it at around 95% condition, IT'S NICE!

Rew, if you're out there I know you'd appreciate this handgun.

Background info here guys, I've got a 1950's Smith&Wesson 38/44 Outdoors man that is pretty high in miles so I'm looking for a replacement model for this large framed 38spl(yes, it's an N-frame 38spl, predecessor to the 357mag).  I love the 38/44 dearly but I just can't put that many rounds through it any more as it's had enough as is.    The Model 28 down at the shop has recessed cylinders for the shells, a pinned barrel, and those itty bitty grips that were popular up through the 70s, the side plate only has 3 screws though unlike the 4 screws that my 38/44 has.

Oh man, seriously if this revolver is there the next time I'm in the shop I'm likely going to get it whether or not I've got the cash on hand.

Just wanted to share I guess.
View Quote

I have an answer to your problem.  Buy the nice, shiny Model 28 and transfer it to me.  That way, you get the thrill of purchasing a fine handgun without all the hassle of explaining the new purchase to your wife.

It's Win/Win.  [:D]

(That's probably how I'm going to spend my new tax refund - Thanks Mr. Bush!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top