Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2001 2:43:01 PM EDT
They key to good moderation is the same as being a good referee. Stay the hell out of the way unless the fighters break the rules.

Most good moderators tend to stay out of discussions so as to not personally get involved in them. Once you are involved you no longer have an unbias opinion and are more likely to lock a thread because someone pissed you off, rather than for valid reasons.

I think y'all need to back off a bit unless we actually break the rules or codes of conduct.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the moderation may seem a little heavy handed but I really enjoy the board more now. There are plenty of places you can go for the juvinile testosterone wars. This isn't a democracy and true free speech really doesn't apply here. All anybody has to do is be civil, share information, and enjoy the conversation. Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose it's following the moronic, racist and hostile posts of late.

I think your example of referees and fighters is good. This isn't a place for fights. It's for intelligent discussion, exchange of ideas and disagreements. If posters can't keep from being insulting in expressing thier views maybe they should work on it more or go elsewhere. If thier only reason to post is to insult others then I hope they go elsewhere or are banned.

I find the moderators around here to be excellent, knowledgeable and intelligent. It's the posters whom I think have recently declined and need stronger guidance.

It's called General Discussion, not Get in The Ring.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I make it a policy to not moderate a thread as long as I am personally involved in the discussion. It's hard to stay objective if that happens. With regard to the Europeans threads, I took some time to cool off and then look at the threads when I took enough distance from them.

Heavy handed, you should have seen the GD board 2 years ago.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top