Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 12:31:40 PM EDT
Anybody got a clue as to which route is safer, less construction, less snow and mountain passes? Mapquest says that I should go I-80 with a bunch of weird interchanges (route green) but I don't think going 70 would be that much longer a drive (route blue)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
not to nitpick but do you mean DItY move?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

In this case, yes you are also right but I would still need the same info if I was just going TDY. Just cause I packed my own stuff doesn't make the move to a TDY station different. But thanks for catching it
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where to where?  I went Ft Bragg, Yorktown VA to Monterey and back, a true Coast to Coast Drive

Edited to say:  Slow connection and the mapquest pic didnt show up till after I had decided to reply
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how the roads are lately but I took I-80 through WYoming when moving from Eglin to Hill and all I can say is WINDY!!!  I had a Uhaul trailer and it was getting tossed around pretty good.

I used to travel ro Grand Junction from Hill quite a bit and that route is not too bad, once you get out toward the cutoff to Moab.  I usually took the cutoff through Price, Utah but I would recommend against it with a truck and/or trailer.

I'd take I-15 down to I-70 then head East.  It's a little farther but is a little better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where to where?  I went Ft Bragg, Yorktown VA to Monterey and back, a true Coast to Coast Drive

Edited to say:  Slow connection and the mapquest pic didnt show up till after I had decided to reply

basically Provo, UT to Ft. Lostinthewoods, MO
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've driven from WA back to CO using I-80, and done the UT->Denver on I-70 a bunch.

I-80 has fewer mountain passes and is more likely to be clear.

The Browning Firearms Museum near SLC is on the I70 route however.

I don't know if the I-80 route will be more out of the way vs. your starting and ending points, however.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In this case, yes you are also right but I would still need the same info if I was just going TDY. Just cause I packed my own stuff doesn't make the move to a TDY station different. But thanks for catching it

I didn't know if it would be TDY (i.e. just enough shit to get you through) or DItY (bringing all the shit I don't want Carlyle Van Lines to break.  That's why I asked.  My second response says why.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The only thing I can tell you driving through Kansas is driving for hundreds and hundreds of mile and seeming like you have gone nowhere. That has got to be the worst state to go through.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

basically Provo, UT to Ft. Lostinthewoods, MO

Oh, hell, take the I-70 route fo sho.  Make time to hit Moab, if you haven't.  Then cut down through Cortez, CO.  Make the most of the trip.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
For some reason I recall Nebraska being more speeder friendly than Kansas.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
For some reason I recall Nebraska being more speeder friendly than Kansas.

GunLvr

You could tell the difference?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The Eisenhower Tunnel alone would be enough reason to not drive an unfamiliar vehicle on the western third of I-70.
I-80! No brainer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Eisenhower Tunnel alone would be enough reason to not drive an unfamiliar vehicle on the western third of I-70.
I-80! No brainer.

I-80 is quite a ways out of the way from Provo.  Not hundreds of miles but several hours, at least.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I-80 is mostly truckers and is much flatter.  Two good things in my mind.  I towed a boat over the passes on I-70 and it sucked!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top