Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2005 9:01:41 AM EDT
Louisiana Black} Judge Makes Historic Party Switch
Baton Rouge, LA, Morning Advocate ^ | 01-13-05 | Troxler, Brett

Posted on 01/13/2005 8:48:16 AM PST by Theodore R.

Judge makes historic party switch with others to follow suit

By BRETT TROXLER [email protected] 2theadvocate.com staff From a report by WBRZ's Summer Jackson

A black judge in Baton Rouge announced Wednesday he is switching his political affiliation to the Republican Party.

A spokesman for the GOP said Lavergne's switch (first name not given) is the first time in the modern era that a black elected official made such a change.

Lavergne said the way he looks at it, he did not leave the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party left him.

"If you are labeled a Democrat you will be for more taxes, more spending by the federal government and more giveaways and you will continue to hold black people in poverty, and, as far as I'm concerned, enslavement economically," Lavergne said.

Lavergne was elected to the bench 12 years ago and had been a Democrat all his life until the switch.

"I think it's an exciting time; it's a new year and a new day in Louisiana," said Republican Party Chairman Roger Villere Jr.

Lavergne called himself a "Colin Powell Republican," saying the outgoing Secretary of State is his hero.

As reported Jan. 12 on WBRZ's 5 & 6 p.m. broadcasts. If you have information or comments related to this story, e-mail them to [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPICS: Government
KEYWORDS: BATONROUGE; COLINPOWELL; DEMOCRAT; LA; LAVERGNE; REPUBLICAN; ROBERVILLERE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
excellent news.  southern black democrats is an untapped resource for the GOP.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
One small step, but good news anyway.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This is not a one time deal, happening alot down here
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe this will continue to happen as long as the Demoncraptic Party continues to align themselves with Hollywood and succesful New York/New England liberals.  Howard Dean as the chairman of the DNC will be a cherry on top.  I think they are self destructing.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Truly outstanding!

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
w00t! One more black who's had enough of being a victim by choice!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If 25% of African Americans abandon the Demorats, they will not recover for decades.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Lavergne said the way he looks at it, he did not leave the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party left him.

Funny how everyone is saying that but no one calls for a real change of direction in the democratic party.  Oh well, better for us I suppose.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Things are looking up:

Zambia Elects Black President

LUSAKA, ZAMBIA—In a historic triumph for Zambia's African-African community, Bilikisu Adewale, a 49-year-old black man, was elected president Monday.

"Do you realize that in this nation of more than 10 million people, there is not a single black-history museum or black cultural center?" Adewale asked. "Did you know that at the University of Zambia, there are no black fraternities and no black student union? This must change. And it will, starting today."

But despite his optimism, Adewale cautioned that many daunting challenges lie ahead.

"Yes, this election is a great step forward for black Zambians," Adewale said. "But there is much work to be done: A shocking 50 percent of our nation's blacks earn an income below the national average. The ever-present specter of black-on-black violence continues to loom over our communities. Our prison population is virtually 100 percent black. And each year in Zambia, the dread disease of AIDS kills more blacks than all other ethnicities combined."

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
excellent news.  southern black democrats is an untapped resource for the GOP.

Amen.

We need to get conservative Southern blacks involved with the party at all levels, not just the sporadic "tokenism" I've seen here.  I've been preaching this to our local GOP movers and shakers for several years - usually falling on deaf ears...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Amazing how all these years the Dems have cryed about how the republicans are only for the rich and it turns out the opposite is true.
They always acuse someone else of doing exactly what they do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"If you are labeled a Democrat you will be for more taxes, more spending by the federal government and more giveaways and you will continue to hold black people in poverty, and, as far as I'm concerned, enslavement economically," Lavergne said.

Its about time someone saw the light. HE said the democratic party left him? It is the same part that was in charge during the slave days.

I hope more and more people see through the Dems lies.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]

A shocking 50 percent of our nation's blacks earn an income below the national average.

umm someone is in need of a basic statistics course

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Uh, Dino, the Onion is a parody site.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
EDITED:  I didn't catch that the quote was from The Onion...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Hell, Zambia is Living Black History!  How can a black African country not be black or African?  

CNN will report this in a different light.  Their headline will likely be:  "Black Judge reveals he isn't really black."
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A shocking 50 percent of our nation's blacks earn an income below the national average.

umm someone is in need of a basic statistics course

+1 on that!  If half are below, then the other half are above, and income distribution doesn't follow a bell curve either!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
click the link, guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top