Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting... got a link?

what's the optics?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
How would any of us know? Nobody on this board has expierence with all three of them. A few guys have handled/shot XM-8's, but thats it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
They both look promising but I dont think they'll stack up well to the bushmaster M17 bullpup which is expected to be the standard service rifle in 2006.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They both look promising but I dont think they'll stack up well to the bushmaster M17 bullpup which is expected to be the standard service rifle in 2006.

Is that before or after the Desert Eagle replaces the M9 as the standard issue sidearm?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that before or after the Desert Eagle replaces the M9 as the standard issue sidearm?

I thought the hipoint 9mm was replacing the M9?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like they need to dust it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Is this better than the XM8 or FN SCAR?

How should we know? It's not like any of us have gotten to test this head to head with an XM8, SCAR, and M16 variant.  

Quoted:
This new weapon system should meet the following requirements:

- Provide selective, aimed and effective fire with kinetic energy ammunition;
Huh? Don't all modern assault rifles do that? Kinetic energy ammunition? Forgive my ignorance, but is that HSLD Sales speak for 'plain old bullets'?

- Perform direct automatic fire support functions;
Speaking as a former infantry automatic rifleman, I think a magazine-fed squad automatic weapon would be a pain in the ass and step back. If you run out of ammo on an M249, you don't have to stop and reload magazines. Someone can just toss you a couple of boxes with linked M855 already in it.

- Have a burst fire capability;
Whoopty-doo?

- Be able to use non/low-lethal ammunition.
Like what? Rubber bullets?

In the short-medium term the calibres to be used for the main weapon system and for the related grenade-launcher are the 5.56mm NATO standard and 40mm, respectively.

Really? Kind of like what we already have?

The main development problems are essentially linked to the following aspects: weight reduction of currently in-use weapons; miniaturisation of the electronic components; and, subsystem integration into the C2 system. As for the optronics, various possibilities have been investigated concerning both light intensification and thermal imaging technologies and we eventually opted for a Tl solution. Considering that the system could also include a 40mm grenade launcher, a fire control module is currently being studied, including a laser rangefinder and a fire control computer

Gee whiz bang zowie! It's got all dem 'optronics' and C2 computerz! Are they going to work right? Don't take me wrong on this...   I just refuse to buy into all this fire control electronic assault rifle hype unless they make it work right.

It sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Italian Army more lethal?

To who?

They gonna invade Ethipia again?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That top mounted charging handle looks cool... it will probably take the weapon out of battery every time you have to crawl through some brush.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Italian Army more lethal?

To who?

They gonna invade Ethipia again?

Hey, the Italian Army was our ally in WWII; just ask the Germans!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#13]
They have two of them at a Italian restaurant I frequent.  Spaghetti comes out of the small hole and the meat sauce come out of the big hole.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
That optic is funky.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How would any of us know? Nobody on this board has expierence with all three of them. A few guys have handled/shot XM-8's, but thats it.

+1

What no backup iron sights either?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The front sight kind of looks like a STORM.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The front sight kind of looks like a STORM.

The whole thing looks like an "ARized" Storm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top