Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 8:31:37 AM EDT
My sister lost her car keys......

She has a spare, but the dealership wants $45 for a new key, $85 to program it, and $150 for a new remote door unlocker thingy.

Is there any way to get this stuff any cheaper?

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
newer car, no . keys are usually comp. chip programmed, and need to be coded to the ignition so it will start. Transmitters arn't cheap either. Maybe ya can find a after market transmitter that would work, but it would still need to be programmed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
AutoZone had a sign on their door that said they have them.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My sister lost her car keys......

She has a spare, but the dealership wants $45 for a new key, $85 to program it, and $150 for a new remote door unlocker thingy.

Is there any way to get this stuff any cheaper?

call around to your local locksmiths, they can usually do it for a good bit cheaper than the dealers
if they are a well equipped shop they should have all the gear to program
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Um,

?

I guess retrofitting the car with 20th century anti-tinfoil devices would be more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get PATS Passive Anti Theft System keys blanks on E-bay

Now if you have 2 you can program them yourself - there's instruction with them

But if not call a locksmith and see if you can get a deal

Although its a bad bad thing to do, you can also bring it in for service - and then tell them you gave them the keys lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top