Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2005 7:41:27 AM EDT
just got a new safe for christmas and it smells like chineese people. anyone know how to get rid of the smell? i think its either the carpet or the glue. also the inside of the safe is 63% (ambiant 40%)pretty consiatantly. i have some desicant in there but it doesnt seem to do much. any ideas on how to get rid of the humidity. and no, i dont want to get a golden rod because i cant plug it in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#1]
try vacuming it or throwing a box of baking soda in there.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Throw a few boxes of cigars in there, the humidity is about right.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
come on. anyone?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

with the smell?  that would ruin them in a hurry

and he'd still need to bring the humidity up closer to 70% just to be safe
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Do the goldenrod.   Dessicant is always going to be a maintanance item.

If you must go that route, get more, cook it more often.  It doesnt' last forever, and yours sounds saturated.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
www.zorb-it.com, I use zorb-it and i have a golden rod.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a golden rod and also Damp-Rid has safe packets that turn pink when they are used up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Just tell the Chinese people to move out!

I have a Dri-Z-Air in mine.  Seems to work pretty good.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you mean that you dont have a hole in your safe for the cord of a Goldenrod or that you dont have an outlet nearby?  The plug end of the Goldenrod comes off so you only need about a quarter inch hole, just big enough to get the wire itself thru then put the plug back on and insert into an outlet.  The best part about a Goldenrod over dessicant is there is no maintenance or changing.

Dale
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
goldenrod
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you mean that you dont have a hole in your safe for the cord of a Goldenrod or that you dont have an outlet nearby?  The plug end of the Goldenrod comes off so you only need about a quarter inch hole, just big enough to get the wire itself thru then put the plug back on and insert into an outlet.  The best part about a Goldenrod over dessicant is there is no maintenance or changing.

Dale

i know but the only holes in the safe are for mounting it to the wall so i cant use them
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Bring it inside and take out the chinks
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Goldenrod will help a little but not much for that kind of humidity. I'd say do that and put a dehumidifier in the room also. That's what I do and I live in a humid area, though it is better in winter. During the summer I am dumping my dehumidifier at least daily to keep it about 37%.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]
It will air out in a week or two.  You are smelling the paint, fire board, new carpet and adhesives.

Put a goldenrod in there stat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

with the smell?  that would ruin them in a hurry

and he'd still need to bring the humidity up closer to 70% just to be safe

I have a few boxes of Papayos and Aristoffs that would benefit from the glue smell.

I like to store long term around 70%, but drop it down to 60-65% in my "ready to smoke" humidor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
just got a new safe for christmas and it smells like chineese people. anyone know how to get rid of the smell? i think its either the carpet or the glue. also the inside of the safe is 63% (ambiant 40%)pretty consiatantly. i have some desicant in there but it doesnt seem to do much. any ideas on how to get rid of the humidity. and no, i dont want to get a golden rod because i cant plug it in.

Smells like Chinese people?

Go ahead and say it....   say the "T-word". I DOUBLE DOG DARE you to say it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Smells Chinese?  I thought most safes are made in the USA.  Mine is.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I dont have one yet but humidity will be a big concern of mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top