Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 9:50:01 PM EDT
I have wanted a desert toy for a while, just something to ride around and explore with in the desert/dirt.

Today I saw a kid selling a SUZUKI dirt bike for 600bucks. If I offered him 500 cash he would take it, i am tempted because the seller is near my house,the bike looks fun and is cheap.

But I dont know jack about bikes in general. I know about engines and like working on them but dont have any experience with riding.  One thing that I thought was weird was it had a radiator, i just figured it would be air cooled?

so how are suzukis?  Can you go wrong if it runs ok and costs 500?  anything to look for.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If it runs and has all of the major components and clean title, $500 is either OK or at least not rape. Be advised, they are both addictive and painful. Loads of fun. I haven't been on mine since I crashed a while back. I won't ride again till I get some boots.

I posted here to ask how I could tell if my foot was broken.....someone mentioned fatal blood clots, and everyone started calling dibs on my gear
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it runs and has all of the major components and clean title, $500 is either OK or at least not rape. Be advised, they are both addictive and painful. Loads of fun. I haven't been on mine since I crashed a while back. I won't ride again till I get some boots.

I posted here to ask how I could tell if my foot was broken.....someone mentioned fatal blood clots, and everyone started calling dibs on my gear

what kind of boots are you suppose to wear while riding?

I guess it should have a pink slip just like a car right?  Although I realize its not street legal so there is no registration or plates.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Duh, motorcycle riding boots?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No, really, motorcycle riding boots, I'm not kidding.

Mine were knee high, thick leather with a steel shin guard and a heavy rubber sole with a steel shank.  Think Mel Gibson in "MAD MAX".  Those are dirt bike riding boots.

You need all the safety gear you can get, especially when just starting out.  Get a full face Kelar helmet, motorcycle riding boots, shoulder pads, padded pants, padded gloves, kidney belt, GOOD goggles.  You only get one body, protect it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duh, motorcycle riding boots?  

Special boots with hard panels, made for riding. Trust me, you want them. Agree now, or the first time you go down, but sooner or later you'll agree
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No, really, motorcycle riding boots, I'm not kidding.

Mine were knee high, thick leather with a steel shin guard and a heavy rubber sole with a steel shank.  Think Mel Gibson in "MAD MAX".  Those are dirt bike riding boots.

interesting, so if i got a dirt bike could I wear those and mount a Side by Side Dbl barrel coach gun on my bike

What part of CA are you from mike? Im in san diego.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in the Los Angeles area.

Ix-nay on the otgunshay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure it's the right size for you.

If it's water cooled, make sure the engine oil isn't milky.

Look for signs of obvious abuse, i.e. bent forks, cracked swingarm or frame, severely dented exhaust (if 2 stroke), sacked out suspension (if really old), unusual engine noises, etc., etc..

All you've said is that it's a suzuki.

2 stroke or 4stroke? Motocross or enduro? 70's, 80's or 90's? Bone stock or modifications on it?

$500 is only worth it if it doesn't cost you big bucks in repairs after your first ride.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If it's water cooled, make sure the engine oil isn't milky.

Look for signs of obvious abuse, i.e. bent forks, cracked swingarm or frame, severely dented exhaust (if 2 stroke), sacked out suspension (if really old), unusual engine noises, etc., etc..

yeah it doesn't look like its got a blown head gasket or cracked head cause the oil looks fine,

It looks like the guy laid it over cause the exhaust manifold is all banged up, I can't see that effecting performance????
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]

bike: yamaha wr250f (4 stroke, 5 valve head, 34-ish HP, 85MPH top speed, 12" suspension at both ends)
boots: alpinestars tech8's

any questions about off-road bikes, just ask.  i ride.  a lot.  
www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169731

sometimes the trees get in the way.
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sdm-denny/ek_8_sm.jpg

ps
most every motorcycle is watercooled these days.  you can get so much more power out of the bike using liquid cooling and a pair of small radiators.  warning: do not damage radiators when crashing.  :)

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I was checking the trader and it seems like there are alot of bikes in the 1K range, i guess i will just have to keep my eyes open for a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Start reading these to gain a bit of info. IE gear, bikes , terms etc...

www.dirtbikemagazine.com/

www.dirtrider.com/

Do you know anyone who is into bikes? See if they will take you out and give some lessons and riding time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of dirt bike is it.
Year, make model.

You beter make sure it is a "California legal" bike.
Google "California off road red sticker green sticker motorcycle".

A dirt bike MUST have a title and registration in order to operate it on public land.
Google "off road motorcycle registration California".

At the State ORV areas that rangers will check to make sure your bike has either a green or red registration sticker and a spark arrestor. You can get a "real" ticket (points against your record and loss of money) for operating a dirt bike without registration.

Be aware that on MOST National and state property you can not operate a non-street legal "dirt bike" (meaning you must have a real liscense plate, turn signals, horn, headlights, DOT compliant brake systems and DOT compliant tires) "off road".

Too bad you were not around the San Diego area 10-30 years ago.
Otay Mesa used to be some of the best riding areas in Southern California.

I think that the closest legal true "dirt bike" riding area in San Diego is Orosco Ridge in Ramona. And you can go shooting up there too.

If you like sand you can go to Glamis.

Quoted:
I have wanted a desert toy for a while, just something to ride around and explore with in the desert/dirt.

Today I saw a kid selling a SUZUKI dirt bike for 600bucks. If I offered him 500 cash he would take it, i am tempted because the seller is near my house,the bike looks fun and is cheap.

But I dont know jack about bikes in general. I know about engines and like working on them but dont have any experience with riding.  One thing that I thought was weird was it had a radiator, i just figured it would be air cooled?

so how are suzukis?  Can you go wrong if it runs ok and costs 500?  anything to look for.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What kind of dirt bike is it.
Year, make model.

You beter make sure it is a "California legal" bike.
Google "California off road red sticker green sticker motorcycle".

A dirt bike MUST have a title and registration in order to operate it on public land.
Google "off road motorcycle registration California".

At the State ORV areas that rangers will check to make sure your bike has either a green or red registration sticker and a spark arrestor. You can get a "real" ticket (points against your record and loss of money) for operating a dirt bike without registration.

Be aware that on MOST National and state property you can not operate a non-street legal "dirt bike" (meaning you must have a real liscense plate, turn signals, horn, headlights, DOT compliant brake systems and DOT compliant tires) "off road".

Too bad you were not around the San Diego area 10-30 years ago.
Otay Mesa used to be some of the best riding areas in Southern California.

I think that the closest legal true "dirt bike" riding area in San Diego is Orosco Ridge in Ramona. And you can go shooting up there too.

If you like sand you can go to Glamis.

damn i didn't know you had to register them to drive them in the middle of the desert that really sucks.

How about on BLM land is that ok?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top