Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 9:19:32 PM EDT
If the title didn't say it all, I abjectly confess genuine ignorance on the topic, apologize to those offended, et c., et c.

I have the impression that acupuncture is nonstandard/non-Western science/medicine of questionable and widely questioned (but widely accepted) efficacy. Here's the question referenced in the title: is it witchcraft, or can one give it a whirl without theological concern?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No ooga-booga about it. Worked wonders for my wife's shoulder injury and she's a a devout apathist like me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
One western theory of how acupuncture works is that it trigger endorphin responses.  Unless you think neurochemistry is witchcraft, you should be fine.  It can be a fine, non-drug means to get symptom relief for a number of different conditions.  I hear it even works on Christians!  

Of course, if you ever had to STUDY neurocheomistry, you'd be convinced of the existence of Satan sometime around about your first test.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It does work, except most of us would be more likely to pop a pill.  I had it done on my lower back a few years ago.  It was kind of cool, relaxing.  It made me feel better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Umm arent needles sort of painful?

Ben
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No ooga-booga about it. Worked wonders for my wife's shoulder injury and she's a a devout apathist like me.

wadju'saywillis  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw a film of them doing abdominal surgery on a patient in china - instead of local or general anesthetic, they used needles.  The patient was conversing with a nurse while they were poking around in her intestines.  Its real.  I do not understand it, though.

The West developed a model or paradigm for how the body works, which has been very successful.  It originally viewed the body as a machine, with the advent of the industrial aged.  On the other side of the world, the east developed an entirely different model, based upon energy flow, called "chi", which is also successful.  To discount the east's approach to medicine because it doesn't fit our model requires ignoring many recorded demonstrations of the eastern model's effectiveness in application.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wadju'saywillis  

He puts his hands in the air like he just don't care.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Umm arent needles sort of painful?

Ben

nope, my wife had chronic migraines. She had some accupunture done and no more migraines. Accupuncture or mind over matter? who cares it's gone
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It works,  I have not heard a bad thing yet about it, and it does not hurt unless you are the biggest sissy ever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Frankly, I'd rather just flood my bloodstream with chemicals to solve the problem. Much easier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#11]
isnt it based on pressure points on the body?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Frankly, I'd rather just flood my bloodstream with chemicals to solve the problem. Much easier.

I wouldn't......them chemicals can really fark you up, depending on what they're trying to fix.

If accupuncture could cure asthma......SIGN ME UP!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Accupunsture works!

But there are two style.  Chinease and Japanease.  CHinease works on the nervous system for pain and often uses many, many needles.

Japanease focus right on the area that is causing the pain and works on the muscle system.  It is the Japanease meathod that I have had a TON of success with.  Keep in mind that accupunture is a true art and the effectiveness of it is directlt related to the talent of the accupunturist.  The guy that I go to is 100% japanease and knows his stuff!

He even takes lifestock as trade!  Which I find funny as hell in this day and age.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wadju'saywillis  

He puts his hands in the air like he just don't care.

Bingo. Also known as "orthodox eunuchism" - couldn't give a fuck if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Its hocus pocus. Its all in the mind.

skepdic.com/acupunc.html

Sure it works for some, but then again so does hypnotism. It does not cure a damn thing, it may relieve temprory pain but its all in the head.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Its hocus pocus. Its all in the mind.

skepdic.com/acupunc.html

Sure it works for some, but then again so does hypnotism. It does not cure a damn thing, it may relieve temprory pain but its all in the head.

That's true for all treatments, western medicine included.  

There is nothing that works 100% of the time.

Many estimate that the placebo effect is responsible for about 30% of the improvement or other benefit seen in almost every new medical treatment.  In other words, a third of people get better even when they receive no actual treatment at all.

Explain that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I at one time worked for a company that distributes a large portion of the acupuncture supplies in the USA.  I believe that acucpuncture works, but the profession itself is full of loonies.  It pays to go to a reputable practitioner, and many MD's are now getting trained.

The so called "meridians" that the traditional acupuncture practitioners put needles into correspond to the nerves of the Central Nervous System.  Some Western medicine adherents believe acupunture works by stimulating the autonomic nervous system.

Beware the "flower child" acupunturists. They are a dime a dozen.

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top