Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 6:24:18 PM EDT
I know it was because of the southern man song, but why would skynyrd be pissed off.

Sorry Im young and wasn't here when these songs came out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
you answered your own question
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
they are southern, listen to the words of southern man
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't provide a article, but I recall a Show on VH! about the "fued".  It didn't exsist.  Neil Young and Lynard Skynard were actually friends, the song was just a jab in jest.  

Again I can't give you an article, but I do recall they were friends.  I thought VH1 was gonna have some good juice about the dislike, then they hit us with that.  I was sorta let down.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they are southern, listen to the words of southern man

I hope Neil Young will remember, southern man don't need him around anyhow...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Lynyrd Skynrd...a Great Southern Rock Band
Neil Young.. a canadian,  but also one of the greatest and most prolific song writers of the past 40 years...

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
He also had the song "Alabama" off of his 1972 album"Journey Through the Past" That would be the one with the 6 KKK riders carrying crosses on the front cover.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Neil Young just sucks, thats all the reason for me not to like his ugly non singing ass
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neil Young just sucks, thats all the reason for me not to like his ugly non singing ass

Amen, brother. How anything Neil Young has ever done could be confused with talent is totallly beyond me.

If he's so damn good, why didn't he get another 5 strings for his guitar instead of playing those cheesy lead riffs on just one string?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Ronnie VanZant didn't like the song Southern Man, or the fact that Neil Young was/is a scum sucking flower child anti-American hippie protesting pussie.

I could be wrong though. How would I know what Ronnie thought.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lynyrd Skynrd...a Great Southern Rock Band

I'll give you that....

Neil Young.. a canadian,  but also one of the greatest and most prolific song writers of the past 40 years...

But this is complete poppycock.

IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be young Im not getting this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
While we are discussing Skynrd was "Mr. Saturday Night Special" and anti-gun song or did I hear it wrong?...Seemed like the song was blaming guns for crime..Skynrd didn't seem to be the type of band that was anti-gun
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I must be young Im not getting this.

Hell, you got years on me and I understand!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

One chord solos a la Cinnamon Girl.

He needs to work on those a bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Skynyrd - redneck

Young - Hippie

When do these two things ever get along?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Van Zant just wrote songs to write songs, he was not anti, and he liked and respected Niel Young. I had a an old Rolling Stone Mag that had pics of the two of them partying together, and Ronnie mentioned on more then one occassion his like and respect for Niel. Including at a Skynyrd concert I went too at the San Jose Civic! I miss that band!! Ronnie Rocked!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]
{drunk} Play some Skynyrd ! {drunk}
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I know it was because of the southern man song, but why would skynyrd be pissed off.

Sorry Im young and wasn't here when these songs came out.

Actually, you'll notice that the feud never got bitter because Neil Young and Ronnie Van Zandt had mutual respect for each other and their music.  It was not a jab in jest, but it wasn't a rap style diss either.

It was just a response to Young that a southern man didn't need him.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

his whiney voice grates my nerves
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Apologies to skynrd fans.
It always seemed no matter what, skynyrd
came across as dumbass antigun hicks.
I much prefer Allman Brothers to skynyrd.

Oh and neil young is an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
somewhat   of a +1 for Neil.  

FWIW & in case you didn't know....

He has a handicapped son.  He's also a big toy train nut.  To the point that he invented some control systems for those like his son.  At one time he owned at least 20% of the Lionel company (out of business now, right?).  Again, FWIW, and here's part of his story...

TAKE A RIDE ON NEIL YOUNG'S TRAINS
(from the wire)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redwood City, Calif. -- The whine of jigsaws and the smell of glue guns hits even before the eyes can adjust to the cool interior of the cavernous building. Looking like a cross between Santa's elves and the backstage crew at a Grateful Dead concert, more than a dozen workers huddle over pieces of rocky landscape, graceful bridges and a towering forest of redwood trees. Others wield soldering irons and circuit boards, configuring the electronics that make the trains run on time.
The air of concentration is intense. These workers have 48 hours before their work of art hits the road. This is serious kinetic sculpture -- a huge, computer-controlled model railroad that will follow Neil Young and the HORDE tour (for Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere) across the country for 28 concerts in 45 days.

Traveling rock shows don't usually come equipped with their own model train setups. But this is a tour that includes Neil Young -- legendary rock musician, longtime train hobbyist and the inventor of advanced wireless systems for controlling everything from the sound of the engines to the rate at which they run.

But it's when Young's 18-year-old son Ben comes in to check out the day's progress that the real reason behind that seemingly anomalous combination is made clear. The crew shouts out greetings as Ben rolls by in his wheelchair. Severe cerebral palsy makes movement difficult for him, so when Young wanted to share his love of trains with his son, he had to invent ways to do it.

First came the Big Red Button, which is just what it says it is -- a gently domed button almost three inches across. Young built it so that Ben, who didn't have the fine motor skills necessary to flip the set's switches, could experience making the trains run just like any other kid.

Later, Young worked out a system that enabled the Big Red Button to replicate whatever complex maneuver was last run on the system, letting him program cool runs Ben then could set in motion with a single tap. It hooks up with another of his inventions, the CAB-1, the first remote control device for model trains.

That work led to Young forming a partnership with Lionel Corp. owner Richard Kughn in 1992, creating Liontech, a research and development company that provides Lionel trains with exclusive new model train control and sound systems.

Trains have been a constant in the life of the 51-year-old rock star. His ranch in the hills south of San Francisco includes a 2,800-foot barn that is home to a setup using 750 feet of track and enough outbuildings, mountains and twists and turns to make everybody whose mother threw away their trains from childhood weep.

Not content to invent, when Kughn decided to step down from Lionel in 1995, Young bought the company, together with an investment firm called Wellspring Associates. Now he's become, in effect, the company's creative director, between putting out the limit-testing albums that mark him as one of the rock 'n' roll greats.

In the days leading up to the July 11 launch of the HORDE tour, Young stops in at the Redwood City train depot almost every day, making suggestions and going over the blueprints with the crew. And each time, he comes up with newer, cooler things for the track to do.

It's hard to call it work, says Bruce Koball, a computer programmer who's been working with Young for more than three years on various train projects.

"We've had some wonderful collisions," Koabll says, hunched over a workbench littered with circuit boards and chips holding two megabytes of sampled sounds that can almost exactly duplicate a steam engine revving up a particularly steep hill or brakes squealing as it comes down the other side.

HORDE-goers will be able to wander into a tent containing the train layout and play with the 320 feet of track, carefully watched over by the road crew. One reason is that it's just so cool. But there's another as well: A shrewd businessman, Young wants to introduce a new generation to the joy of model trains.

"Neil's thing has been to get the kids off the computers and back into real toys," says Brian Scott, the technician in charge of the layout during the tour.

To that end, Young and Lionel are bringing along technology that won't even hit the stores for several years. Called LionVision, each locomotive has a tiny digital camera and microphone in its nose, supplementing the cameras placed strategically along the layout.

As the trains are maneuvered around the tracks, onlookers will be able to gaze at large video screens for a train's-eye view as the engines speed around curves and through gorges.

At one point, in a beautifully crafted in-joke, the train will disappear into a long tunnel. Those looking at the layout will see nothing. But those watching the screen will catch a glimpse of an intricately precise Grand Central Station-like layout, complete with commuters, ticket takers and panhandlers. It wasn't an easy task to convince the suits at Lionel to go along with Young's vision.

"We had a lot of business types wondering why we were taking Lionel -- and all that marketing money -- to a rock n' roll venue and not a toy show," says John Kitterman, Lionel's director of product development.

But model trains are changing, and this is exactly the audience they need to reach. In fact, the line between video games and the hands-on experiences of playing trains is fast blurring. In the next few years, Lionel will debut a system that lets hobbyists hook their trains up to the Internet. The video and audio from the engine will go not just to a video screen, but can also be sent out online.

"Say I'm in Indianapolis and Neil's in California. He calls up and says, `Kit, you've got to see my new layout!' And hey, I'm there, seeing it on my computer screen and even driving the locomotive," Kitterman says.

It's that future that Young wil show his fans. But right now, it's being broken into 12 pieces for transport to the Shoreline Amphitheater a few miles away, where the first concert of the tour would begin in less than two days. Despite the frenzy, each of the six crew members who will spend the rest of the summer on the road with this enormous toy are almost giddy.

It's business, sure, says Kitterman, who is as likely to pull out a guitar and jam with Young during the afternoon as he is to answer pages. But it's a right-thinking one.

"Toys are good karma," he says with a smile that never really goes away. "You can't really go wrong."

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The only song I like by Lynyrd Skynyrd is Sweet Home Alabama.  Gee, I wonder why?  

I don't care for any of Niel Young's music.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone see Neil Young jamming with Van Halen?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I love Neil Young, but Southern Man is a condescending, self-righteous song.  Young was right, but with his attitude and scolding tone, no wonder it rankled 60's-70's southerners.

Not to mention, it's not a very good song.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's odd as he spoke so well of you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
While we are discussing Skynrd was "Mr. Saturday Night Special" and anti-gun song or did I hear it wrong?...Seemed like the song was blaming guns for crime..Skynrd didn't seem to be the type of band that was anti-gun

I watched a documentary concert a few yrs back, I think it was "Freebird, The Movie". One of the surviving members was commenting how they were ahead of their time with a guncontrol song like "Saturday Night Special". It may not have been written as an anti-gun song, but he didn't seem to mind the anti-gun reputation it developed.

It's a shame, it's a good song, like all Skynyrd music.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't get overly excited about either of them.....I've seen Neil in concert, and he's a much better performer than what's left of skynryd, and bad as I hate to admit it, my southern pride....well, I never really had that much to begin with.

I think southern pride should have slowly died off after, say, 'smoky and the bandit' or somewhere thereabouts.

<---*yawn*

"rockin in the free world' isn't my type of music...but Neil does it well in concert.

'Heart of Gold' is a good one, too....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Truth be told, it's because Neil Young shot up Lynard Skynard's car wash
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
because he's a fucking commie?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
There never was a feud.  Good hype though.

Yeah, I'm an Allman Bros fan also.  At least when Duane was still around.  However I like a lot of Neil Young's music.  Skynards also, though only of late.

For some insight into the alleged "feud" take a listen The Drive By Truckers Cd "Southern Rock Opera".

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the main thing is that Southerners, like anyone else, don't like being painted with a broad brush.

Lots of us can read and write, and contrtary to popular belief, none of us still own slaves.  And 99.999% of us could give a rat's rear what color you are, as long as you act like a decent human being.  It's that decent human being thing that derails a lot of folks for us...

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think Ronnie VanZant didn't like the song Southern Man, or the fact that Neil Young was/is a scum sucking flower child anti-American hippie protesting pussie.

I could be wrong though. How would I know what Ronnie thought.....

Right on, brother.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I like em both.

I like Young's raunchy jabbing sound on the guitar.  I have near every CD he put out.

"Live Rust" is a good one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Lenard stole Neils bag in '71
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
As a white male in my early 40' s from the south I think I can comment on this one. On a scale of 1 to 10, in each artists prime I think Skynyrd scored a 9.5, Neil Young maybe a 4.5.  Sorry, but Neil Young's music was only so-so. I wonder how many dollars of albums sold vs. Young. 10 to 1ratio? I agree, get 5 more strings for that guitar. Skynyrd pioneered the double lead sound, often imitated by others but  never really duplicated. I never listen to it anymore but I have hell of a respect for  the music. I love how their backdrop at a concert was a confederate flag. Just like the bumpersticker says "Heritage, Not Hate."

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I like em both.

I like Young's raunchy jabbing sound on the guitar.  I have near every CD he put out.

Do you have his mtv unplugged album?

pretty good reworking of some of his songs on there.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like em both.

I don't think I have that one. I'll google the cover, then I'll know for sure.   I'll trade you that CD for "Neil Young and the Bluenotes".

Edited to add: This one I have.  www.musicnotes.com/productimg/BKWBGF0633.jpg
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like em both.

I don't think I have that one. I'll google the cover, then I'll know for sure.   I'll trade you that CD for "Neil Young and the Bluenotes".

Edited to add: This one I have.  www.musicnotes.com/productimg/BKWBGF0633.jpg

that's the one

check out this bit torrent site ... lots of well ripped neil young torrents there

they're scheme to force you to share is a little annoying though, but it works
btmusic.org:2710/
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I like both Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And I think the "feud" was just to sell records.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

...and what that man does to a guitar is absolutely criminal.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe they didn't like young bashing Alabama:

"Alabama"

Oh Alabama
The devil fools
with the best laid plan.
Swing low Alabama
You got spare change
You got to feel strange
And now the moment
is all that it meant.

Alabama, you got
the weight on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Cadillac
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

Oh Alabama
Banjos playing
through the broken glass
Windows down in Alabama.
See the old folks
tied in white ropes
Hear the banjo.
Don't it take you down home?

Alabama, you got
the weight on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Cadillac
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

Oh Alabama.
Can I see you
and shake your hand.
Make friends down in Alabama.
I'm from a new land
I come to you
and see all this ruin
What are you doing Alabama?
You got the rest of the union
to help you along
What's going wrong?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

you got that right, you sure -got that right
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top