Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 6:05:13 PM EDT
Okay think about this. Cities are passing laws making tobacco use illegal practically everywhere. The lawyers are suing them into bankruptcy, police are being trained in illegal (non taxed) tobacco interdiction, etc.  

Will our kids be fighting the "war on tobacco" along with the war on drugs in their lifetime? how far will this go?

GR
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, in gradual increments, in my opinion, tobacco will be added to the list of prohibited items individuals cannot take into the lung. It will take a while to accomplish this, but yes, the State will not be able to resist the opportunity to control yet another portion of or group in society. This will probably occur when the government figures it can make more money off of prohibition, and everything that comes with it, than it can taxing the product.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont see them banning it that soon, just making it a pain in the ass.  Its a source of them getting money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
some states have banned smoking indoors, doesn't bother me but geez how can you charge sin taxes isn't this a free country?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to see a revolution, go ahead and ban tobacco tomorrow.    Actually, I'm only half joking.  Getting between a smoker and his/her cigs can be a dangerous proposition.  Of course, they too are being subjected to the death of many cuts.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe that it is the next "war". Look at CA. Tobacco is taxed at a rate that makes a pack of Cigarettes 5.00+ or so a pack, with legislation pending to add more and more taxes. You can't light up indoors, anywhere. There is an attempt to make smoking in cars/homes with children present illegal. There are many outdoor areas that ban smoking. etc. etc. etc.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It would go over as well as prohibition did.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
There won't be a "war"...they will just keep taxing it and making it more and more expensive.

Think about this-how much money do states and the feds make off of taxes on Tobbaco?

Quite a bit!!!!

Although I don't smoke, a "Cheap" pack of cigs in CA when I left a few months back was around $5. They will just keep taxing it until it gets to $10/pack, and start cracking down on untaxed cigs.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
People still buy them, watch in a store and you will see people come get them all day and put down the cost for them.  I see people do it here at $3 a pack and people buy them in NY a $6 a pack
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Where I used to live before moving to DFW, there was a "smoke shack" run by the Alabama Coshatta selling untaxed cigarrettes.  They were constantly packed and selling them hand over fist.

GBT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where I used to live before moving to DFW, there was a "smoke shack" run by the Alabama Coshatta selling untaxed cigarrettes.  They were constantly packed and selling them hand over fist.

GBT

A lot of people order tobacco online from Indian Reservations.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If they take away my cigars, I'll become a criminal to get them.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

GBT

They had them in NY too, then the state bitches about losing money on taxes, but nothing of lowering the taxes that encourage people to drive 2 hours to get cigarrettes at half the cost.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Just wondering, what is the price of Cigs in other states?
5.00 here in CA, sometimes more
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course it's the next black market item. Fuck, it already is.

My dad was a cigarette delivery guy. He drove a little box van with "Marlboro" written on the side. When was the last time you saw one of those? 20 years ago?

Nowadays, if you drove a truck identified as a tobacco carrier, you'd be on a suicide mission.

They are taxed into such a valuable commodity that every two-bit criminal and street gang wants nothing more than to rip off a shipment of smokes. Easy to sell, lightweight and highly sought after. Smokes have become, well, drugs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's something to consider fella's....

I remember when I used to work the gunshow circuit when Clinton was in office and everyone was speculating on what his next move towards an outright gun ban was going to be...

Do you smoke? Chew? Well, guess what? You might be addicted to a "Controlled Substance" (ie. NARCOTIC)according to the Bureau of Alcohol, TOBACCO and Firearms. And when you fill out that little yellow piece of paper called a 4473, you have lied on a federal form....

This was one of the speculations floating around the gun community back about the late 90's.

I guess they would have to bust some of us on a firearms charge too because I KNOW some of you are addicted!

So. put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! But don't become addicted or admit you smoked it! And right now, I am puffing on a NICE Cohiba...Come and get me coppers!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't see what the problem is with not allowing them from indoors (though I know cigar bars and some other places allow them) especially when your right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe clean air. ("your right to swing your fists ends at my nose" -Thomas Jefferson, I think)

I've met more smokers who get pissed if you ask them to stop smoking or to light up somewhere else than not, regardless if you were there first or not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just wondering, what is the price of Cigs in other states?
5.00 here in CA, sometimes more

$2-$3 depeding on brand and location
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't see what the problem is with not allowing them from indoors (though I know cigar bars and some other places allow them) especially when your right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe clean air. ("your right to swing your fists ends at my nose" -Thomas Jefferson, I think)

I've met more smokers who get pissed if you ask them to stop smoking or to light up somewhere else than not, regardless if you were there first or not.

I am going to pull a Kerry and agree and disagree.

Places that are public, libraries, DMV, state offices, schools shouldn't allow smoking indoors. These are open to the public, and the greater good of the many, supercede the desire of the few. Here is where I disagree: Private businesses should decide for themselves whether or not to allow smoking. If I own a bar, I should be allowed to allow smoking in my establishment if I choose. If somebody wants a job at my bar, they know up front that I allow smoking. They can choose not to accept a job from me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The states don't want you to smoke so they don't have to pay for your healthcare, but they also don't want the tobbacco co's to go under, for that would mean no more lawsuit money.  And as far as narcotics, everyone forgets the biggest one, Caffeine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a chance in hell.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I believe that it is the next "war". Look at CA. Tobacco is taxed at a rate that makes a pack of Cigarettes 5.00+ or so a pack, with legislation pending to add more and more taxes. You can't light up indoors, anywhere. There is an attempt to make smoking in cars/homes with children present illegal. There are many outdoor areas that ban smoking. etc. etc. etc.

Get real woman!  Smokes are still under $4 at most places and that attempts at banning smoking in homes was laughted at!

Government still susides tabacoo farmers...it is NOT going away anytime soon.

SGatr15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top