Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/12/2005 1:37:15 PM EDT
....Don't get me wrong, I like Rush Limbaugh very much.

But, today he used the word "instinct" a half dozen times in 5 minutes meaning his

"intuition" .  When a fairly bright guy like Rush misuses a word, I can only weep for

education in this country.

There are NO instincts in Human Beings!  NONE! ZERO!  Only creature on the planet WITHOUT them!

Instinct = Species Specific Behavior,  that means a robin builds a robin's nest not an eagles nest.

Humans are born with 2 (count 'em) reflexes.

Reflex = Specific response to a specific stimuli.

Reflex #1 -Put something in a baby's mouth and the baby will suck on it.

Reflex #2 -Put something in a baby's hand and it will grasp it.

That's it, both reflexs fade over time.

Sorry for the rant, but hearing (or reading) this word misused so often just got my back up.

So the next time you hear the lame ass sportcaster say the running back made an instinctive move,

you too can shake your head and mutter "reflexive, asshole"

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

There are NO instincts in Human Beings!  NONE! ZERO!  Only creature on the planet WITHOUT them!

We don't really know that this is true.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
He is yesterdays news --------

maybe  the pack here will get it soon, then , maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's why he has the number one rated talk show on radio, right?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who say's so ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't want to start a war, but YES we DO know that it is true!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who say's so ???

Rik, I think cyanide was talking about Rush not being #1 on HIS radio
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

But, today he used the word "instinct" a half dozen times in 5 minutes meaning his

"intuition" .  When a fairly bright guy like Rush misuses a word, I can only weep for

Instinct = Species Specific Behavior,  that means a robin builds a robin's nest not an eagles nest.

Sorry for the rant, but hearing (or reading) this word misused so often just got my back up.

So the next time you hear the lame ass sportcaster say the running back made an instinctive move,

Don't parents (most of them anyway) take care of their children? If you were dropped off in the forest at age 10 wouldn't you seek shelter just like an animal?

Anymore, all of our basic needs are at our fingertips and thus we don't really need to use our instincts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who say's so ???

What color is the sky in your world?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't listen to him... That irrogance of his just irks me.  So flame away...

Try listening to this...
Michael Savage

You might not agree with everything he says, but he's straight shooter that's not afraid to criticize anyone.

EPOCH

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Humor me, I'm just a hillbilly, but regarding reflexes:
What about the gag reflex?  or the rubber hammer on the knee reflex?

In my opinion, there may be a large psychological difference between "intuition" and "instinct", but there is not a great grammatical difference.  In fact, the Mirriam-Webster dictionary makes the very "mistake" you mentioned while giving an example(see Instinct, definition 1):

Main Entry: in·tu·i·tion
Pronunciation: "in-tu-'wi-sh&n, -tyu-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English intuycyon, from Late Latin intuition-, intuitio act of contemplating, from Latin intuEri to look at, contemplate, from in- + tuEri to look at
1 : quick and ready insight
2 a : immediate apprehension or cognition b : knowledge or conviction gained by intuition c : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

Main Entry: 1in·stinct
Pronunciation: 'in-"sti[ng](k)t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin instinctus impulse, from instinguere to incite; akin to Latin instigare to instigate
1 : a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity <had an instinct for the right word>
2 a : a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason b : behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level

ETA:  Here's Mirriam-Webster Online
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
poor Rush, the damage is done...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Try listening to this...
Michael Savage

You might not agree with everything he says, but he's straight shooter that's not afraid to critize anyone.

EPOCH

Got to go with

EPOCH  here ------ Rush is a junkie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Hand away from fire, ...yeah, that's what Rush had in mind....

So what instincts and pre-programmed behaviours do humans have?
I think they are:
1. A few reflexes such as baby sucking nipple, hand that pulls away from fire, eye that blinks to flying objects etc.
2. A multitude of learnt pliable instincts = mindrules.
3. One inherited instinct, which is to make mindrules in the cortex according to the principles of the interaction desire or parsimony.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

wrong! humans have instincts just like any other animal. we know what clean water looks and tastes like. we know what bad food smells like. these arnt things we have to be taught, we just KNOW. thats instinct. noone has to tell us our shit stinks and we shouldnt be around it. WE JUST KNOW.

i know when someone hits my knee my reflex is to kick it. ive had doctors do this to me before. ... so this isnt a reflex?

we also have learned reflexs called muscle memory.

some google searches:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553814923/202-5183384-4383864

http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/humaninstinct/
"Though anthropologists, psychologists and psychiatrists all have their differing criteria, instincts can basically be defined as any kind of behavior that is natural as opposed to learned or acquired.

Most instincts relate to the two basic needs for nutrition and reproduction – food and sex.

The fact is, we are born with a set of instincts, courtesy of our animal ancestors. We need them to survive.

They are what compels a newborn baby to open its mouth and take its first breath, to reach for its mother’s breast and suckle, to curl its toes when a hand touches the sole of its foot… reflex responses that are all part and parcel of the package deal called life.

Let’s explore human nature and see how those two universal drives – to eat and to mate – are manifest in our modern society."
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I am not going to take your word for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is entirely too much of "You know what I mean!" being used as a crutch.

Amen to that Brudda!

If you want me to understand and comphrehend correctly,

use the language correctly!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try listening to this...
Michael Savage

You might not agree with everything he says, but he's straight shooter that's not afraid to critize anyone.

EPOCH

Got to go with

Yeah...because NO ONE has EVER gotten hooked on pain meds before, right?  Only scumbags get hooked on pain meds when they are prescribed them...like Brett Favre for instance.  

You're so pitifully predictable.  And so predictably pitiful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Will you take Arbitron's?

LIMBAUGH TOP TALK //

FOR OCT-DEC, JUST RELEASED ARBITRONS NY CITY... RUSH LIMBAUGH PULLS 6.2 SHARE AT NOON, 6.3 AT 1 PM ON WABC WITH ALL LISTENERS AGES 12+... 2 PM HOUR DIRECT RADIO MATCHUP.... LIMBAUGH 5.3 SHARE, BILL O'REILLY 2.0 SHARE ON WOR, AL FRANKEN 1.8 SHARE ON 'AIR AMERICA'... MORE

www.drudgereport.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]
At least he doesn't say "irregardless".  I HATE IT when people use that nonword.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try listening to this...
Michael Savage

EPOCH

Got to go with

Yeah...because NO ONE has EVER gotten hooked on pain meds before, right?  Only scumbags get hooked on pain meds when they are prescribed them...like Brett Favre for instance.  

You're so pitifully predictable.  And so predictably pitiful.

We talking about me ------------------- or Rush ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will you take Arbitron's?

LIMBAUGH TOP TALK //

FOR OCT-DEC, JUST RELEASED ARBITRONS NY CITY... RUSH LIMBAUGH PULLS 6.2 SHARE AT NOON, 6.3 AT 1 PM ON WABC WITH ALL LISTENERS AGES 12+... 2 PM HOUR DIRECT RADIO MATCHUP.... LIMBAUGH 5.3 SHARE, BILL O'REILLY 2.0 SHARE ON WOR, AL FRANKEN 1.8 SHARE ON 'AIR AMERICA'... MORE

www.drudgereport.com

Umm...you're talking to the wrong guy.  I wasn't going to take Panama's word that humans don't have instincts.  It was Cyanide who was questioning whether Rush was the #1 talk radio show.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Since you inevitably make every thread about you, we're obviously talking about you, just the way you want it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Of course human beings have instincts (all kinds of social behaviors would fall into the category, for example).  

What would POSSIBLY be the explanation for why humans would not have instincts?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Umm...you're talking to the wrong guy.

DOH!

Silly me! I was thinking of the the claim that Rush is #1! (Which we know, of course! )
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PR is dead wrong in his opinion - apparantly he's never heard of a human's survival instincts - just for starters....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you inevitably make every thread about you, we're obviously talking about you, just the way you want it.

Rush is still a junkie ---------- get over it, make excuses for him whatever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That's it? This is what gets you upset?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're still an attention whore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't care if he was hooked on Asian Herion and shot up with untested transexual prostitutes using dirty needles....

It's that I am always right, "talent on loan from God", I will defend any republican no matter how bad they disgrace the party attitude of his.  It just irks me...  Kinda the same way James Carville does for democrats...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you are wise.

Humans have many of the very instincts that animals have.

Humans don't need to be told when they are hungry, or to look for food or water.
Humans don't need to be told how to get from one place to another.
Humans don't need to be taught how to reproduce.
Humans don't need to be taught to avoid pain or discomfort.

These are just of few.

It is impossible to defend the position that humans don't have instincts, any more than you can say that Robins don't have instincts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't care if he was hooked on Asian Herion and shot up with untested transexual prostitutes using dirty needles....

It's that I am always right, "talent on loan from God", I will defend any republican no matter how bad they disgrace the party attitude of his.  It just irks me...  Kinda the same way James Carville does for democrats...

EPOCH

uhh, we agree on this .......... can't be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
What about the gag reflex? or the rubber hammer on the knee reflex?

True. Specific response to specific stimuli.  I was speaking to born behaviors.

wrong! humans have instincts just like any other animal. we know what clean water looks and tastes like. we know what bad food smells like. these arnt things we have to be taught, we just KNOW. thats instinct. noone has to tell us our shit stinks and we shouldnt be around it. WE JUST KNOW.

Sorry we DO NOT just know, humans are taught all behaviors, baby's must be taught everything!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Rush has a bad case of everything a republican does is always right.

That and the damn "Ditto heads" who just call in are like oh yeah I agree.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

EPOCH

I never said I like his show.  Frankly, I don't.  But Cyanide was foolish enough to call him "yesterday's news."  Hard to say that about someone who still brings in the enormous ratings that Rush does.  Of course, Cyanide being dead-ass wrong about nearly everything is hardly a news flash.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're still an attention whore.

Bite me --------- you are not going to  ------- hijack  this post. Nope your not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Rush has a bad case of everything a repuclion does is always right.

That and the damn "Ditto heads" who just call in are like oh yeah I agree.

Damn --------- people are getting it .........
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who say's so ???

What color is the sky in your world?

no kidding, the stuff he's blabbering about has gone from just being uninformed/ignorant drivel to being just plain nonsensical.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's that I am always right, "talent on loan from God",

It's called "SCHTICK". Part of the program,

I will defend any republican no matter how bad they disgrace the party attitude of his.

You obviously don't listen much. Rush has beaten the hell out of the President on much of his social agenda, and many a Republican on their non-Conservative tendancies.

It just irks me...  Kinda the same way James Carville does for democrats...

The difference is that Rush actually makes sense and is for the most part pretty consistent. Carville is a complete joke.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What about the gag reflex? or the rubber hammer on the knee reflex?

True. Specific response to specific stimuli.  I was speaking to born behaviors.

Sorry we DO NOT just know, humans are taught all behaviors, baby's must be taught everything!

So does any animal that is dependant on it's mother.  A altricial bird can't do jack shit and would die without it's mother.  That doesn't mean it doesn't have instincts.

Baby raccoons have to be taught how to defacate by their mothers.  We don't.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Bite me

Never.  I don't know where you've been.  Or maybe I do...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Women instinctively want to have children.

Men instinctively want to help them do that.

Mothers instinctively want to protect their offspring.

Men instinctively want to flee danger.

Some people yearn to overcome some of their base (selfish) instincts and be better people.  That is how we differ from the animals.  

Christianity recognizes the baseness of man.  Selfishness is the original sin.  God knows that we are always tempted by selfishness in whatever form (sin) it presents itself.  Jesus taught us that God welcomes us into His arms even though we will always succumb to some temptations.  Jesus paid the price for all sin.  All He asks is that we sign on to His program.

Being human means we don't have to be animals.

BTW, I have detected a considerable change in Rush over the past few years.  I see a fundamental shift in his attitude toward people and himself.  I believe he has become a deeply spiritual person.  I hear a great deal of compassion underneath the "tough love" that he has always exposed.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Of course human beings have instincts (all kinds of social behaviors would fall into the category, for example).

Since I am not the Creator, I am not qualified to answer the question.

But, let me try to give you an example: Some would say that survival is a human instinct, this is

not correct, if survival were an instinct (remember born with the behavior patterned in your genes)

No one would commit suicide.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
That's it? This is what gets you upset?

Yeah, Sad isn't it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I would think the will to live is instinctive.  Don't remember being taught that or observing dying people's struggle to live.  Rush rules.  Not always right...but closer than most.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

But, let me try to give you an example: Some would say that survival is a human instinct, this is

not correct, if survival were an instinct (remember born with the behavior patterned in your genes)

What BS.  There are certain animals who commit suicide that otherwise have a survival instinct.
There are animal instincts that man doesn't have, but it is foolish to push your position.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nonsense.  The difference between humans and MOST (not all) animals is NOT that we lack instincts, it's that we can act against them.  In fact, most human society is an attempt to get us to act against our instincts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I guess you have to teach an infant to feed off a breast?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
So does any animal that is dependant on it's mother. A altricial bird can't do jack shit and would die without it's mother. That doesn't mean it doesn't have instincts.

Animals HAVE instincts, the instincts are IMPRINTED on their GENES.

If I steal a Robin's egg from the nest and incubate it to birth and I never allow if to see another BIRD,

let alone a Robin,  and I give said Robin nesting materials. The Robin WILL build a Robin's nest.

Not an eagle's nest or a pelican's nest....a robin's nest.  The robin's behavior is imprinted.

This is instinctive behavior.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top