Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 1:14:49 PM EDT
I am pretty sure flash is what they use to make internet cartoons (homestarrunner.com, newgrounds.com) but beyond that I really don't know what it is.  I am thinking about getting it just to be able to make some cartoons because I have some awesome ideas.  Do you have to learn a computer language to make one?  There also seem to be different versions of it but I don't know which to get.  Anyway, if someone could educate me or give me a website to go to where they actually explain what it is and how to use it rather than a site with reviews I would be grateful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Flash is this evil thing that comes out of the barrel of Assualt Weapons.

No one is allowed to see this evilness, so we have Flash hiders.

The govt. banned flash hiders once, but since flash is evil and must not be seen, the ban was lifted.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Best to get you info straight from the source. They even have a free trial you can download and try it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Flash is a macromedia product and it's expensive. It's basically a program that allows you to make cartoons/websites/multimedia presentations, etc.

I personally find it intuitive to use and there are a lot of resources on the internet (www.flashkit.com) that can teach you how to use it. You do have to learn Flash's own scripting language for certain things, but it's fairly intuitive and easy to learn IMO (similar to HTML). However, for things other than cartoons like homestarrunner I absolutely hate flash. At least for business website use. The problem with it is that people get too artsy with it and the vast majority of websites using flash sacrifice usability for "cool" functionality.

If flash can be seamlessly integrated into a website so that it's intuitive and subtle it's ok. Of course I'm not even getting into the problems you'll encounter with trying to get a high ranking on search engines with a heavily flash driven website.

You can learn more about Flash here: www.macromedia.com/software/flash/
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Flash is a kick-ass program, but you will need to study to use it to it's full potential.  You don't have to be a computer geek to use it, but knowledge of file formats for sound/vid/pics are all helpful.  It isn't easy at first, by any means.

I bought a book ($15) and learned the basics "as you do them" but only got so far.  A community college class might work for you, and as a student, you get discounted software (IIRC Flash and other Macromedia software is over $500)

I am no expert and ultimately gave up on it, but posted because I was in your shoes last year.  I just din't have the time to devote to learning it.

NorCal
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Flash - a-ah - saviour of the universe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top