Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 12:31:44 PM EDT
Nanny faces homicide charge in the death of 22-month-old girl
Wednesday January 12, 2005
PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) Prosecutors allege that a nanny killed a 22-month-old girl in her care by hitting her in the head.

Claudia Granados appeared in Santa Clara County Superior Court on Tuesday to face a child-abuse homicide charge in the death of the child. A lawyer for Granados could not immediately be reached by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Granados, 26, had been a nanny for Drs. Denise Provost and William Howell for nearly a year. She was taking care of their daughter, Sarah, on the morning of Sept. 14 when, according to a police report, Granados told a neighbor that the child had lost consciousness.

The neighbor called 911, but Sarah was ``limp and blue'' by the time paramedics arrived to take her to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, according to the report.

She could not be revived at the hospital, and died the next day.

Granados wasn't arrested until Dec. 21, when an autopsy revealed the child had died of severe blunt force trauma to the head.

Santa Clara County prosecutor Dan Nishigaya declined to discuss how Granados allegedly struck the child's head or whether a weapon was used.

Granados is scheduled to enter a plea March 1. If convicted, she could face 25 years to life in prison. Her bail has been set at $1 million and she remained at Santa Clara County women's jail in Milpitas.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're not going to raise your kids, don't have them.

I humans, as in nature, there are risks inherent to having a lousy parent.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Where does the article indicate the immigration status of the nanny?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:38:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't the Mexican govt just release a "how to" book on "The Proper Care & Feeding Of Gringo Babys To Hasten The Building Of Aztlan"...?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Between the lines.  US born Latino women in their 20's dont work as nannies in southern California.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
There's o such thing as an "illegal immigrant."

However, "Illegal aliens" do definitely exist.  Don't let the liberals whitewash facts by using their own wording.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Good help IS hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nanny faces homicide charge in the death of 22-month-old girl
Wednesday January 12, 2005
PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) Prosecutors allege that a nanny killed a 22-month-old girl in her care by hitting her in the head.

Claudia Granados appeared in Santa Clara County Superior Court on Tuesday to face a child-abuse homicide charge in the death of the child. A lawyer for Granados could not immediately be reached by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Granados, 26, had been a nanny for Drs. Denise Provost and William Howell for nearly a year. She was taking care of their daughter, Sarah, on the morning of Sept. 14 when, according to a police report, Granados told a neighbor that the child had lost consciousness.

The neighbor called 911, but Sarah was ``limp and blue'' by the time paramedics arrived to take her to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, according to the report.

She could not be revived at the hospital, and died the next day.

Granados wasn't arrested until Dec. 21, when an autopsy revealed the child had died of severe blunt force trauma to the head.

Santa Clara County prosecutor Dan Nishigaya declined to discuss how Granados allegedly struck the child's head or whether a weapon was used.

Granados is scheduled to enter a plea March 1. If convicted, she could face 25 years to life in prison. Her bail has been set at $1 million and she remained at Santa Clara County women's jail in Milpitas.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

The parents of the child need to be in prison also.  This bullshit of hiring ILLEGAL ALIENS has to stop, and somebody needs to be made an example.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you're not going to raise your kids, don't have them.

+1,000,000,000
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it okay for me to get a babysitter now and then, so that we can go see a movie?

How about if I get a babysitter for the afternoon, because we have to go to the doctor? (pregnant wife)

What about widows?

Do you prefer that they hire childcare, go out and work to support their kids?
Or should they just stay home and live off of welfare?

Ain't reality a bitch?
It always gets in the way of my blanket proclamations....

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#10]
how about a link
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Between the lines.  US born Latino women in their 20's dont work as nannies in southern California.

I find that a weak argument.

And besides, just because one is in this country illegally doesn't automatically make them prone to being a bad parent, or nanny/baby sitter. Nor does it mean they are murderers just waiting to strike.

But I agree with charging people who hire illegal aliens. Throw the book at them until the demand for cheap labor dwindles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is it okay for me to get a babysitter now and then, so that we can go see a movie?

How about if I get a babysitter for the afternoon, because we have to go to the doctor? (pregnant wife)

What about widows?

Ain't reality a bitch?
It always gets in the way of my blanket proclamations....

No!  Your a terrible parent.  The child should be sewn to your chest so you are never seperated from them for even a minute, otherwise you are totally without merrit as a parent and human acording to the ARFCOM hive-mind.  

That story there is the reason I can't imagine just hiring some stranger to care for my child though.  As much as possible we try to use other family who have raised children without killing them to provide babysitting.  When we do need daycare we have a 15-year  friend of the family to care for her who I have great trust in and has been doing it since before I was born.  Anything's possible, but at least the odds seem lower than picking some self-centered 16-20 year old off the street.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What about widows?

Father goes to work to pay the bills.  Mother stays home and raises the kids.  The US would be a much better place if more people followed those guidlines.  My wife gave up a $80,000.00 a year career to raise our children.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about widows?

Father goes to work to pay the bills.  Mother stays home and raises the kids.  The US would be a much better place if more people followed those guidlines.  My wife gave up a $80,000.00 a year career to raise our children.

Ummm, that's nice.

Widows?
Single moms?

How about a baby sitter now and then?
Or do you and the Mrs. never get out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top