Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 5:50:02 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a college student who carries their CCW on campus with the University Police's permission? And why doesn't UPD swear in some college students who are going to be officers after they graduate and have the CCW on campus just as an extra officer on campus. That seems like it would be a good idea just in case there was either a terrorist attack or just some random asshole starts shooting people on campus. Anyone have any info, comments?

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
They used to have students that were University Police at Indiana University.  They lived in the dorms, even.  I think that went out about 89 or so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
But are they able to CCW on campus?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I know some students who will do it without their colleges permission.....

Campus safety at my college doesn't even carry.  The director of campus safety is a complete tool who won't let them carry pepper spray or wear body armor bacause he thinks that will "Make the students feel unsafe" if they see campus safety wearing body armor.  This is of course in beautiful downtown chester, noted Shithole the midpoint on the I95 drug corridor between Philadephia and Wilmington.

After a string of muggings I jokingly offered to start a Sentinels club (In naval history a sentinel ship was a merchant ship hiding large cannons to lure in and destroy pirates).  Campus safety responded with a pre-dawn raid on my dorm room looking for guns.  What a bunch of fucktards.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've gotten the distinct imprerssion that the lefties on campus would love it if they could somehow argue that the campus officer shouldn't have a gun.
And here you want them to arm students

Indiana State University went through that a few years back (Admin wanting to rename Police to Public Safety and take the guns) fortunately/unfortunately, a string of campus shootings and other violence stopped that stupid talk!

As I recall also, University of Southern Indiana or University of Evansville, recently had a guns/no guns for the Campus Security issue, but I don't know how that turned out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]

You're not supposed to carry on campus?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are caught with any type of firearm on University property, your ass is expelled.  Purdue doesn't seem to think that a CCW is useful for anything.  Heck, even storing firearms used for target shooting is a problem, as we cannot store them in our rooms where they are secure, instead forcing us to use less secure methods.  

And the University Police here aren't very helpful for doing anything firearm related.  Very Anti-gun.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Without analyzing the merits of your proposal, I can tell you the first mistake is assuming that there is logic and common sense on campus.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Until the last year or so, U of Delaware officers kept their guns locked up in the station, they didnt carry them on patrol.  A big deal was made on campus when they installed electronic lock boxes in every vehicle and now the pistols are kept in those boxes while on shift.  The cop has to call back to dispatch for permission to open it.

Students carrying guns on campus?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you are caught with any type of firearm on University property, your ass is expelled.  Purdue doesn't seem to think that a CCW is useful for anything.  Heck, even storing firearms used for target shooting is a problem, as we cannot store them in our rooms where they are secure, instead forcing us to use less secure methods.  

And the University Police here aren't very helpful for doing anything firearm related.  Very Anti-gun.  

It's like that at most colleges.  I don't worry about it at mine because i'm friends with a good portion of campus safety officers, have blackmail meterial on a good portion of the remainder, know the President and SGA president of the school.  I'm also friends or know people who can ask for favors with the local PD (so if stuff happens it can be hidden from the college)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#12]
They cancelled 21 Jump Street years ago...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I know that not many people have much common sense on campus, but I just thought that students who are going in for a criminal justice degree and who have been through police academy should be able to be sworn in and CCW, so I figure that if thats their field of  study then they should have some common sense.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I know that not many people have much common sense on campus, but I just thought that students who are going in for a criminal justice degree and who have been through police academy should be able to be sworn in and CCW, so I figure that if thats their field of  study then they should have some common sense.

Why limit it?  I'm a nursing student.  Carrying with permission is one thing, but if you get sworn in then in my state you have to complete Act 235 to be able to carry a lethal weapon because you'd be an armed security guard.

To keep the liability down, the college could simply enact a policy of having no policy on the carry issue.  That way anyone carrying has no affiuliation with the college.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Could they still arrest you for for a concealed weapon if you were on campus and you were caught even with a license?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Where's iNuhBaDNayburhood?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is up to the sheriff.  The campus is however within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff of the county.  Some departments now limit specials to following CCW rules while off duty while others consider every member of the department on duty at all times within the county.

There may also be difference state-to-state, and especially between state school and private schools.

Wasn't there recently a case in Utah where the court ruled that the state university could not bar people from carrying, because it was legal in the state (and universities were not on the exempted list - like churches, courthouses, etc)?  However, that woudl not apply to private universisites in the same state.

How that would affect deputies, I don't know.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Could they still arrest you for for a concealed weapon if you were on campus and you were caught even with a license?

In the state of PA the only places off limits are courthouses and primary/secondary schools.  Colleges are not prohibited places.  It is the colleges that prohibit guns with their own policies.  Worst that can happen is they'll kick you out.  What i can't figure out is that they'll kick you out if you get made by a campus safety officer while walking down the street, but if you get shot and killed by some gangbanger in that same spot, they won't report it in the campus crime statistics because it was on a public street.

As for your own state, the legal research is your responsibility.  There are states that do no allow carry on college campuses
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not at UAB you're not. The rules are its ok to have in in the car, but dont mess with it on university property, CCP or no. There is an exception that if you need to use it for self defense, the rules are not as strict, but it has to be an immenent threat I think.

Oh yeah, a lady got carjacked, driven to an ATM where she had to with draw her money, and then taken and raped. All on UAB campus. Got an email about that from some of the engineering faculty. Happened over by the Alys Sthphens Center.

Really opend my eyes that all is not as well as the campus police make it out to be.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at UAB you're not. The rules are its ok to have in in the car, but dont mess with it on university property, CCP or no. There is an exception that if you need to use it for self defense, the rules are not as strict, but it has to be an immenent threat I think.

Oh yeah, a lady got carjacked, driven to an ATM where she had to with draw her money, and then taken and raped. All on UAB campus. Got an email about that from some of the engineering faculty. Happened over by the Alys Sthphens Center.

Really opend my eyes that all is not as well as the campus police make it out to be.  

Yeah, I heard about that.  Did they catch the perps yet?

+ I wonder if it would be a felony or a misdemeanor offense?  Sad to have to think this way but I would almost opt for personal safety over following the rules in some caes...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Ahh for the good old days when I went to college at Ferris State.  We had handguns, rifles, ammunition, gun powder and reloading equipment in our dorm room.  Not an issue at all!  I understand that the '68 riots changed all of that.

I often go to Notre Dame for sporting events.  I don't believe that my CCW is valid there, so I usually leave it in the car.  I hate doing that.  Isn't ND classified as a school for CCW purposes?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I heard about that.  Did they catch the perps yet?

+ I wonder if it would be a felony or a misdemeanor offense?  Sad to have to think this way but I would almost opt for personal safety over following the rules in some caes...

Oh, carrying is not illegal on campus, but if you are a student and you carry you can be expelled.  No law, just rules.

IIRC, they have not caught the perps.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know anything about Ohio's CCW laws about carrying on campuses?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is up to the sheriff.  The campus is however within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff of the county.  Some departments now limit specials to following CCW rules while off duty while others consider every member of the department on duty at all times within the county.

There may also be difference state-to-state, and especially between state school and private schools.

Wasn't there recently a case in Utah where the court ruled that the state university could not bar people from carrying, because it was legal in the state (and universities were not on the exempted list - like churches, courthouses, etc)?  However, that woudl not apply to private universisites in the same state.

How that would affect deputies, I don't know.  

You're correct on the Utah thing - their public universities must allow CCW.

Here in At Wisconsin-Madison guns on campus are a big no-no (obviously CCW is illegal state-wide). The UW cops carry but I usually just see them crusing the streets - never seen them inside a building. The school has a strict no firearms policy - if you live in the dorms, you cannot even store your guns there. However, you can check in your firearms (locked in a case) at the UWPD  and go in and retrieve them whenever you want to go shooting. Kinda nice - actually, surprising for Madison.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#27]
At the Univ. of California schools, you cannot carry on campus without the permission of both the university police AND the chancellor of your school.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife carries at Colorado State. She notified the campus she would be carring for protection as many femail students have been raped or assulted over the years. They had no problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Apparently CSU allows CCW on campus. I'll have to read up on it more to make sure before I ever do, though.

[EDIT] Wow. Just read one post above, lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Apparently CSU allows CCW on campus. I'll have to read up on it more to make sure before I ever do, though.

[EDIT] Wow. Just read one post above, lol.

She already drew her gun once on a guy. Not at CSU but in a parking lot. I thank God she had her gun on her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top