Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 4:53:09 AM EDT
[See post below for link.]

It happend Sunday PM in Ceres, CA.  Most of the episode was caught on surveillance tape.

CERES, Calif. -- A Camp Pendleton Marine has been identified as the gunman involved in a deadly shootout with police Sunday night in the Central Valley town of Ceres.

Police are trying to determine if 19-year-old Andres Raya wanted to die in what authorities call "suicide by cop."

Raya was shot and killed by police after a gun battle that resulted in the fatal shooting of one police officer and the critical wounding of another.

Officer Sam Ryno is in critical condition after being shot several times when he responded to a call from a liquor store that a man had entered the store with a shotgun.

Modesto Police Sgt. Howard Stevenson then showed up. He was killed after being shot twice in the head.

When more officers responded, police say Raya initiated a second gunfight, during which he was shot and killed.

Raya was supposed to have reported for duty to Camp Pendleton on Sunday after taking holiday leave but instead left the San Diego area Saturday night to return to his home in Modesto.

. . . . bad news.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
What a waste.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Medesto is beginning to sound like a place I would not like live. I mean other than the fact that it is in kalifornia.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=8975

Video link is at bottom of page...

On local TV news police are now saying bro-vato had "gang ties"...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Shame he didn't have the balls to do it himself.

J
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Yet another reason for me to still hate recruiters.  A warm body is a warm body to them.  As long as the dirt bag signs on the dotted line, everything else is just dandy.  I guess to do otherwise would set ones' self up for charges of racism

On a related note, a couple years ago, I had a Marine who was checking out for recruiter school.  He was Mexican, and boasted how he was only going to recruit fellow Mexicans into the Corps.  Says I, "could you please recruit them out of my !*&$^ neighborhood?"

<note to mods:  the last paragraph was delivered in a light-hearted manner.  The Marine in question was a fine human being.  That is, until he became a recruiter.>
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yet another reason for me to still hate recruiters.  A warm body is a warm body to them.  As long as the dirt bag signs on the dotted line, everything else is just dandy.  I guess to do otherwise would set ones' self up for charges of racism

Blaming the recruiter seems a bit of a stretch to me, is the recruiters job to to a detailed  background check on potential recruits?  
Is it his job to do a psych eval on everybody who wants to be a Marine?
How's the recruiter to know someone's going to commit cold blooded murder in the future?
This fucked up kid made it through boot camp and 7 mos in Iraq, why didn't his fellow marines and officers do anything?
My point is that maybe there wasn't any way to prevent this from happening, but if you're going to lay blame, then you can't blame just the recruiter.
Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think they care who they take in.  Judges used to give people choices between the service and prison not too long ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
sigh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top