Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 3:54:49 AM EDT
DAMN!  This thing is bright!  $60.  In darkness you can see the beam.  Better outside.  I shined it about half a second into the night sky and you can see the beam go off into infinity.

Of course I am paranoid about being outside with it.  I live a wopping 10 miles from Dullas Airport.  So I am sure If I am outside shining it on a tree someone is going to call every government agency they can on me bacause I lit a tree up with a green light.

I will have fun out in the sticks at my parents house tonight.  No airports near by, and less liberal sheep than in the city.  I'll still try and keep the beam pointing at the ground and trees rather than flailing it around the night sky for a Cesna pilot to report.

Have to get my kicks in before some other jackass shines one at a plain and they get banned.

Here is where I bought it.

https://secure1.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=jmm6360&BusType=BtoC&Count1=873485743&Count2=790626168&Target=products%2Easp&ProductID=52
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
now if they can only make it burn thru a house
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC about a year ago Green Lasers were the must have item of the week.  How is a green laser when viewed thru NVGs?

The only reason I would want a green one is if I could get it and a pattern generator like on the new PEQ's so it would look like the Terminator's laser sight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#3]
wonder if the feds will track you down via your purchase on that website and hassle you pre-emptively LOL
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
look at cnn....

your done...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
They probably already have a satellite image of you, and are on their way right now. Is that a knock-knock on your door?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
....enemy of the state.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pics?

I tried to get pics last night inside my apartment.  Indoors you can see the beam in the dark, but not near as well as outside (more humidity).  The pics did not come out showing the beam.

I will take some pics tonight outside and try to get a good one of the beam.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably a good idea to buy one now before the histeria over these plane shinings put the idea to ban them into some jackass politicians head.

As for shining it outside ... you dope.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Probably a good idea to buy one now before the histeria over these plane shinings put the idea to ban them into some jackass politicians head.

As for shining it outside ... you dope.

Yep.  I agree. I wanted one before they are banned.  As for shining it outside.  Yes. I know.  But I was to damn curious.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Before you critisize the guy for shining it outside, they were marketed as an aid to astromomy instruction.  Likely due to the fact the beam can be seen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Before you critisize the guy for shining it outside, they were marketed as an aid to astromomy instruction.  Likely due to the fact the beam can be seen.

I can easaly see that.  The beam seems to go on forever into the sky.  But never ending in a dot(duh).  You can point out constalations and stuff very easaly with the beam.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
>100mW lasers??  You'll shoot your eye out!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]
i wouldnt take that thing outside for a few months, til things with these planes settle down..
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn! You're busted!

www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/11/laser.beams.aircraft.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI is investigating several more reports of lasers being beamed into aircraft cockpits following a rash of similar incidents at the end of 2004.

The most recent sightings of lasers, which can temporarily blind pilots, come as Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta planned to brief reporters Wednesday about the issue at the Federal Aviation Administration's aeronautical research center in Oklahoma City.

Mineta is expected to announce new measures for alerting pilots and preparing them to react when lasers are shined at their aircraft. He is also expected to outline ways to notify law enforcement investigators more quickly.

Cathy Viray, spokeswoman for the FBI in Los Angeles, said the bureau is looking into a report that a green light was beamed onto the nose of an aircraft last week as it was taking off from the Burbank airport.

"It's happening all over the place," Viray said Tuesday.

Beginning on Christmas night, there were reports from all over the country of lasers pointed at aircraft cockpits: in Cleveland, Ohio; Houston, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Medford, Oregon; and Nashville, Tennessee. Many of the reports described a green beam.

A New Jersey man was arrested and charged last week under the Patriot Act for aiming a green laser at a small jet flying over his home near Teterboro Airport.

The man, David Banach of Parsippany, said he had been using the device to point at the stars from his back yard. (Full story)

The laser pointer, which sells for $119, is the most powerful that can be used in a public place without government regulation, according to Bigha, the company that manufactures it.

It produces a bright green beam that can be seen up to 25,000 feet away, and is used by bird watchers, astronomers and lecturers to point out faraway objects.

At least four more incidents have been reported in recent weeks, according to the FBI.

This past weekend, two pilots near Dulles International Airport outside Washington reported lasers beamed at them, according to FBI spokeswoman Debra Weierman.

The first incident occurred Saturday and involved the Fairfax County Police Department's helicopter; the other happened Sunday to a U.S. Airways Express flight.

Weierman said the bureau was investigating. There have been no arrests and neither pilot was affected by the laser light, she said.

In Boise, Idaho, a pilot told the FBI that someone was possibly using a red laser on a small plane shortly after takeoff Friday evening, according to Dominic Venturi, the FBI supervisor.

"It did not injure the pilot or any of the passengers on board," Venturi said, adding the FBI believes it has identified the person responsible.

"We feel confident it is not related to terrorism," Venturi said.

In California, a pilot told law enforcement officials that a green light appeared on the nose of his aircraft as it was taking off from the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport on January 5 around 5:45 p.m., the FBI's Viray said.

"To our knowledge there was no danger to the aircraft," Viray said.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department sent a memo to law enforcement agencies in November saying they had evidence terrorists have explored using lasers as weapons. They have not linked the recent laser incidents to terrorism.

An FAA report released in June found that even the lowest-intensity lasers temporarily impaired the vision of most of 34 pilots who were studied in a flight simulator.

And the part highlighted in green I think is out very own Planeranch!!!

I better get one of these quick before they're banned!

ETA: Planeranch was the one in the plane who reported the laser, not the one who pointed it at the plane.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#16]
those things will burn a hole right through your eye. i hate when people use them in presentations...they are so bright it hurts my eyes.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd prefer a green phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#18]
hey mjohn3006, you scared now

Im sure they automatically think if the laser is in the air, its on a plane..
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I have proof that I did not get the laser until yesterday.  So at least I cannot be accused of the weekend crap.

I guess I have to go have a tragic boating accident with this laser now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
those things will burn a hole right through your eye. i hate when people use them in presentations...they are so bright it hurts my eyes.

I agree.  I can't look at the dot on a wall.  It is to bright.  It is usless as a presentation pointer.  Damn good though for pointing out bigfoot in the woods from 1000 yards away.

Screw Surefire.  Blind your attacker with a flashlight?  Do it for real with a laser.

It was an investment.  In Before The Ban.  Get your Pre-Ban green laser right here folks.  Only $2000.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
someone should see if you can get a pointer through the security at the airport
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Which model did you get?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Which model did you get?

The basic BTG - 2

FDA / CDRH Accession # 0110691 - 02
Wavelength - 532 nm
Output Power - < 5 mw ( 1.5 ~ 4.0 mW from factory )
Output Mode - Constant Wave
Polarization - Linear ( 50:1 )
Beam Diameter at Source - 1.1 mm
Output Variance - 10 % after 20 min.
Beam Divergence - 1.2 mRad
Dimensions - 5 13/16 in. Length, 1/2 in. Diameter
Switch Type - Momentary Push Button
Operating Lifetime - 3,000 to 5,000 hrs
Batteries - 2 AAA Alkaline ( Included )
Range - 12,500 ft.
Class - IIIa
120 Day Warranty

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how animals will respond to green? Anyone have a cat to check it with? Our cat with chase the red dot pointer around and have a blast. WE also have birds and geese and they are afraid of the red dot. Was thinking about putting a laser sight on a rifle for varmint shooting at night but I run the risk of scaring the critter before i can get a shot off. Wonder if green would have the same effect?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wonder how animals will respond to green? Anyone have a cat to check it with? Our cat with chase the red dot pointer around and have a blast. WE also have birds and geese and they are afraid of the red dot. Was thinking about putting a laser sight on a rifle for varmint shooting at night but I run the risk of scaring the critter before i can get a shot off. Wonder if green would have the same effect?

I will check with my parents cats tonight.  Although only briefly.  This thing is so bright.  I do not want to blind them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IIRC about a year ago Green Lasers were the must have item of the week.  How is a green laser when viewed thru NVGs?

The only reason I would want a green one is if I could get it and a pattern generator like on the new PEQ's so it would look like the Terminator's laser sight.

3 words.... Bright As Hell

I've got a cheap Gen 1 NV monocular and a green pointer....definitely works to light up a room with the NV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Any green lasers for weapon mounting?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had green lasers for nearly a year, people use them to teach astrology because you can see the beam. They are very popular for that reason. I bought mine for indoor use; I use it for aligning detection devices in large plants. I bought it on e-bay last March, I tried to contact the seller a couple months ago and he seemed to have disappeared.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#30]
No one even considers the fact that the more pilots complain and the more CNN reports it, the more incidents there will be.  More and more people are going to get "curious".  It's all fun and games until you put a pilot's eyes out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Its the same with guns.  I got the green laser because I think its neat.  I wanted it.  I got it.  I will never use it for harm.  A couple jackasses out there make it look like they are evil and should not be owned, and so that is what the press shows.

Pisses me off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've had green lasers for nearly a year, people use them to teach astrology because you can see the beam. They are very popular for that reason. I bought mine for indoor use; I use it for aligning detection devices in large plants. I bought it on e-bay last March, I tried to contact the seller a couple months ago and he seemed to have disappeared.

astrology huh?

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

astrology huh?

Miss Cleo knows.

astrology, astronomy.   whats the dif?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered mine, same one, the $59 basic. I've been wanting one for awhile and your post finally pushed me to get one. I kept thinking I had to get a "really good" one in order to get the cool effect where you can see it in the air, but from your description, this cheapo pointer will do fine.

So far, none of my other tech friends have one, so I'll be the first!

Once it arrives I'll take some nice slow shutter speed pics and post them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#35]

I wonder how animals will respond to green?

Skunks do not notice it at all, haven't tried it on cats or dogs.

I've had one for about two years,  they are great in large conference rooms to point at a presentation when someone else is already using red (note to self: do not make light saber noises again).

If it cold I need to warm up the batteries before it reaches full intensity, using ordinary AAA.  Great fun in fog/mist, bright enough to see where you are walking in a dark area, and in a really dark area visible a long ways away.  A highly reflective surface like a street sign will really dazzle, discoballs too.

I've never tried a moving object (other than the skunks), but even something static like a transformer on a pole is tough to hold steady on at a distance.  How someone with a handheld lights up a cockpit window is beyond me, other than dumb luck or premeditation.  

Seeing as how AlQ could bring in a truckload of bad things across the border, I don't see how these are such a news story.  If it had been less of a headline, maybe there would be fewer "me-too" idiots.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#36]
ooooh...I want the "Handheld Disco Laser"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:12:25 AM EDT
[#38]
UPDATE

Okay.  The Cats responded to the green laser in a similar fasion to the red.  But I don't think they can see it as well.  They kept loosing it, even though its brighter than the red.

I tried to take a night picture.  Failed for some reason.  Even though it was very foggy, and the beam was like a never ending lightsaber in the fog, the 3.2 MP digital camera was unable to see the beam.  I don't understand why.  I might do some more experiments tonight. The camera could see the dot, but not the beam.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No one even considers the fact that the more pilots complain and the more CNN reports it, the more incidents there will be.  More and more people are going to get "curious".  It's all fun and games until you put a pilot's eyes out.

That is my feeling also. I reported my incident to the local PD (Perp had a history) and to the FAA (now required). I have no idea how the story was released. Shine it at the sky all you want. IF the feds nab you they will ask you your intent. So far every one in trouble has ADMITTED to aiming at an aircraft including the perp in my incident. Don't be a dumbass. The pilots are not to blame. It is the idiot owners of these items that have made their bed. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Don't be a dumbass. The pilots are not to blame. It is the idiot owners of these items that have made their bed. Planerench out.

Meaning that the idiots that misuse these things are dumbasses.  Not implying that simply owning one makes you an idiot.

Correct?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Okay.  The Cats responded to the green laser in a similar fasion to the red.  But I don't think they can see it as well.  They kept loosing it, even though its brighter than the red.

FWIW I've been told that green lasers arent actually that much brighter than red lasers its just that our eyes pick up green alot better than red.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Got mine yesterday....... I know my cat will like this one too..I drive him nuts withmy sons red laser...The green does look awesome shining out into the woods, Glad I got mine before the ban
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Got mine a few days ago from here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top