Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 9:57:57 PM EDT
I want a bench rest that will be good for AR15's, Ak-47's, G3's etc.  It seems to be hard to find a good one for rifles with high-cap mags and pistol grips.  I just want something I can take out every now and then to sight something in or test some ammo.  I'm not into bench rest shooting so it doesn't have to be the best.  Any suggestions??
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In place of a bench rest try a bipod with 20 round mags. My 16 inch barreled carbine shoots one half inch groups at 50 yards with a bipod.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a bipod.  Really want a good rest for whenever I want to test things.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for BIPOD!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Use a normal rest, just use 5 round mags.

If the pistol grip causes problems, raise the front rest and use blocks of 2x8 under the rear sandbag.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
roll down the window
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to the local Asian market where they a burlap sack of rice with a built in zipper. I dumped all the rice in multiple zip-lock bags and put that in the bag. It measures about 12"x 6"x 4". Works great off the bench even with 30 rnd magazines. All for about $5.00
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want the best, buy one of these

I'm sure there are plenty of less expensive rests out there that are more than adequate though. I don't own a rest myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
$240 for that ... Geeze.  It doesn't need to be the best.  When I was saying rest I meant something that held both the front and rear of the rifle preferably under $100.  It would probably only get used once every few months, but I think it would be handy to have.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want the best, buy one of these

I'm sure there are plenty of less expensive rests out there that are more than adequate though. I don't own a rest myself.

I've got a Sinclair, one with a windage adjustable top...VERY nice rest.  But the Cadillac of rests is the Farley...it's around $700, and the wait list is 12 mos. at least.  I'd post a pic, but the site is "under construction".  It's got a hydraulic fine tune adjustment lever.  The guy who I bought my benchrest rifle from has one. I've actually had the pleasure of shooting off of it...it's a badass rest.  If I hit the lottery, I'm gettin' one for myself.  

The probelm with any rest will be the mags, unless you want to set it pretty high.  I only use the DPMS 10 rounders on my ARs, and the 10 rounders on the AKs.  

Of course, this kind of rest is overkill for you...i'd just look at the bag style...they'll be fine.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Edited out.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top