Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 8:15:45 PM EDT
If I remember my history correctly, the whole idea behind firearms was to make projectiles fast and hard enough to overcome body armor and field fortifications. The purpose of bullets has ALWAYS been to overpower resistance and wound or kill your opponent, when used in a combat envionment. To the best of my knowledge, home defense and homeland security are both potential combat enviornments.

So, after centuries of this common sense being common knowledge, some media attention-craving idiots are proposing that nobody (at least us civilians) needs firearms that can penetrate body armor, even after proving that bad guys wear body armor, hide behind hard obstacles, and that the forces of law and order cannot and will not guarantee our protection.

Can somebody bring me up to speed on these new revelations? I seem to be missing the point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun grabbers make it a big deal because it SCARES them. Doesn't matter how much of their opinion has been formed from Hollywood, not at all. It just SCARES them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Isnt the goal of Armor tech to defeat all weapons and weapons tech to defeat all armor?

Its just something else for them to raise hell about
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to be looking for a BP Vest pretty soon... Just need to know which ones will suit my needs and my pricing budjet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing an m1 and a few en bloc clips of 3006 AP can't fix. (Yeah, it's out there).

Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get hard plate body armor that will defeat 30-06AP at 0 meters for about $900.00.  Weights about 16 pounds.  Threat Level IV stand alone plates.

Something to think about.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wearing one for over 40 hours a week,  I can tell you that they are not made for comfort.     I would recommend CCW and situational awareness as more important than armor for the average joe.

If you are a clerk at a stop & rob or liquor store I can see some merit.    Or any other high risk profession.  

However while transporting the kids to soccer games on weekends I might suggest the level III with inserts and groin protection,  willey X balistic goggles, and Kevlar helmet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wearing one for over 40 hours a week,  I can tell you that they are not made for comfort.     I would recommend CCW and situational awareness as more important than armor for the average joe.

If you are a clerk at a stop & rob or liquor store I can see some merit.    Or any other high risk profession.  

However while transporting the kids to soccer games on weekends I might suggest the level III with inserts and groin protection,  willey X balistic goggles, and Kevlar helmet.

Just because of all those crazy soccer moms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can get hard plate body armor that will defeat 30-06AP at 0 meters for about $900.00.  Weights about 16 pounds.  Threat Level IV stand alone plates.

Something to think about.

They weigh alot less than that these days. The ones I wear are less than 6 pounds each and are dual cert for IV and III. Remember, Level III is multi hit from a variety of rifle rounds, whereas Level IV is rated for ONE hit from .30 AP and other listed calibers. Some of the newer plates can pass both standards, but that is fairly recent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And as long was no one listens to the idiots we will not end up like Europeans.

Now here speaks a voice worth listening to.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And as long was no one listens to the idiots we will not end up like Europeans.

Now here speaks a voice worth listening to.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I've got a few things on my "acquire now or very soon list" because of all this stupid ass talk about "homeland security" and "making America safer."  That is body armor (bought off the EE) and a 50BMG.  Yeah, we're making America safer, for the fucking terroritst!    I love how these idiots think that making laws to ban guns/ammo/body armor/etc. will somehow make it harder for the terrorists to attack this country.  Shit, we can't even keep the illegal drugs out, and there are plenty of black market gun bazaars out there, so the guns will get in.  The only difference is, we'll be turned into quivering blobs of sheeple because WE won't be armed or protected by armor.

It is just typical that these idiots don't get the fact that CRIMINALS by their very definition don't OBEY THE LAW!  But maybe just one more law will convince them to give up their criminal or terrorist ways.... Oh Please!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
the big name gungrabbers lives in nice big mansions in a gated-security community....they don't fear about an intruder at home when they walk in the door, but no.....some of them are ccw packers...they think that their lives are more important than others so other civilians need not be armed but just them who's lives are priceless...they fear that the criminal will be wearing a 50cal rated vest and that so will indanger their lives because the 40cal pistol will not penetrate/kill an intruder (if it ever happens, which it won't)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Just get a phaser and a dust buster.  You then would have no need for a vest.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's bullet resistant not proof.

semantics, schemantics!  Sheesh!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Now this has got me thinking about the mall security guy who needed the level IV + Plates to take incoming 308 rounds while he laid down supressive fire for his partner's flanking manuver or something like that.

You wouldn't be related to the Mall Ninja would you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top