Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 7:16:27 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting as dirt bike and, am priceing them on ebay.

About what size bike would fit a 6'2' 265 pound male?

Thanks,
Natty
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I am a bit lighter, but when I buy a dirtbike it will be a 600ish 4-stroke.  Now depending on the type of 4-stroke you get you could go with less if it is a racing bike, but I don't want something that I either have to be on or off.

ETA: you should probably just get at least a 400ish bike in a 4-stroke.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Experience dictates the bike more than physical size in my opinion. Than said, without knowing your experienve level or type of riding you intend to do, I would suggest a 250 2 cycle or a 450 4 cycle. What make are you considering? All I've ever had are the KTM's. I'll help you out all I can.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a local dealer that will at least let you sit on them and get a feel for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well seeing that I had a 125 when I was 13  I could see you in a Ummm.errr Harley....j/k

I strongly suggest you spend a few minutes trying them on for real.  I would start with 500cc
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are new.... 250cc 2 stroke.  Afraid of outgrowing it?  Like speed?  Get the 500 2stroke.

I just dont like thumpers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The four stroke tech has come so far in the last several years that it is the only way to go.  You are going to want something around a 450.  You are about the same size as me and my 426 fit me perfect and had more than enough power.  What kind of riding are you going to do.  Regardless, we are big boys and the springs need to be changed regardless of the bike that you get.  
Go with the four stroke.  Less tuning, less maintenance, and higher reliability.  More later.  Tagged
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
A gun forum is no place to ask for advice about dirt bikes. I'd tell you what I think, but, since a bunch of assholes that don't know shit would tell you I'm wrong, I'll just give you a couple of links to places you can go find out the answers to all your dirt bike questons.

All Things Moto

ThumperTalk
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I am 6' 3"  225lbs and ride a 250cc
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A gun forum is no place to ask for advice about dirt bikes. I'd tell you what I think, but, since a bunch of assholes that don't know shit would tell you I'm wrong, I'll just give you a couple of links to places you can go find out the answers to all your dirt bike questons.

All Things Moto

ThumperTalk

Jesus?....is that you?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
First you've got to tell us guy that "don't know shit" about dirtbikes what you're going to do with it.  them maybe we'll be able to help.

The most you'll find on those other forums are kids asking... "What's the top speed of _______."  "what Faster this or that?"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
650's are heavy, especially for the inexperienced rider.  Not a big deal if most of your riding is on the street, but for actual off road, it is too big for most.  A couple friends had them and they sat in the garage most of the time.  I am a long time desert rider.  A 650 is not something I would want to throw around in the sand.  Lighter is better.   For purely off road, a 250cc two stroke can scare the daylights out of a person your size.  Honda's high end 450 4 stroke motocrosser is a great performer for off road.  Gotta know what you plan to do with it.  At the same time, a 400 won't provide enough power for cross country freeway riding at 70mph for a guy your size.

I ride a 660CC raptor 4 stroke 4 wheeler, with the Alba performance kit, and 1/8 turn twist pull throttle, and Denton steering stabilizer.  I feel this is an unmanageable amount of power for a 2 wheeler, at the same time, I can keep up with the best of them in the woop dee doos, because of top notch suspension.  

I ride a Harley 2002 FLHRCI for the street.  

A friend rode a 250CR for years.  He bought a KTM with close to 500ccs (both 2-stroke) and promptly pulled his arm out of the socket.  He sold the KTM within a week and went back to the 250.  About 5 years later, he is riding the Honda 450 in 4 stroke.  He says the power level is similar to the 250, just a whole different feel.  

Buy used, and cheap, because you may grow out of it quickly, but chalk up the cost to experience and training......
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Size of the bike and motor capacity aren't exactly together... A 125 could be the same size as a 500 physically in some cases. Try a few things, see what you like. A 250 you can do some cool stuff on, but you might need to go bigger.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The four stroke tech has come so far in the last several years that it is the only way to go.  You are going to want something around a 450.  You are about the same size as me and my 426 fit me perfect and had more than enough power.  What kind of riding are you going to do.  Regardless, we are big boys and the springs need to be changed regardless of the bike that you get.  
Go with the four stroke.  Less tuning, less maintenance, and higher reliability.  More later.  Tagged

I am planning on doing some hills in the Desert & Roads.

No Racing at all.  Preferably good gas mileage.

My mountian bike is a 21 inch frame if that helps.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 50cc Yamaha that you could ride.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am planning on doing some hills in the Desert & Roads.

No Racing at all.  Preferably good gas mileage.

My mountian bike is a 21 inch frame if that helps.

I'm a quad rider...  So, take my advice for what it is.  anyway, I'm a big fan for four srokes and from what you say you're going to do with it I think it would be the best way to go.  With that said, I've got a 2001 Yamaha WR250F with a YZ cam in it and that thing down right rips.  I hardly ride it because I'm much better at riding quads.  Take a long look at the 450 class.  They're light and for a guy your size should have enough power.  That's just my opinion...  I'm interested to see what other have to say.

Dg84
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
500cc+ four stroke at your weight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Do the frames have sizes?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:03:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The frames don't have sizes.  I think if you could sit on a 125 you would see that is as tall as the bigger bikes.  While different bikes have different ergonomics, it is not as involved as bicycles.  The old Honda XR's gave the impression that they were sit down bikes.  Big cushy seats and laid back bars with fairly high pegs.  Compare that with most motocross bikes that are designed to be ridden agressively, standing up.  Again, I'm going to endorse the four stroke.  A little more complex, but you don't have to work on them near as much either.  If you have to gas up, plain ol' pump gas will work.  No mixing.  And, if you had to, you could run mix in a pinch.  But you can't run straight gas in a two stroke.  
As far as the brands go, I would look at KTM and Yamaha if you are buying used.  If you can pony up for a used KTM though, you can probably afford the new Yamaha or Honda.  Look at an Enduro bike.  The advantage is the wide-ratio transmission and different valving in the suspension.  
The bad part about the KTM (around here anyway) is that you are going to have to wait for parts if you break something.  The Jap bikes have a fairly ready supply of parts.  Having said that, the KTM is superior in worksmanship and materials (flame suit on).  
If you are a new rider, and you sound like you are, you will appreciate the fact that the Enduro bikes (off-road, whatever you want to call them), have a very low first gear.  This is great for slow going stuff.  If you are going to ride the fire roads too, then you will also appreciate the fact that you have a tall high gear as well.  That is the one thing I regret about buying a YZ instead of a WR.  I rode mostly woods and fire roads, and it always seemed like I needed a lower first gear or a higher, high gear.  
Good luck, and don't let it overwhelm you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
You sound like a casual rider that doesnt need a race bike.  I'm partial to yellow bikes and feel that the Suzuki DRZ-400  is worth considering.  It's a 4 stroke for better mileage and not requiring pre-mix.  It has electric start and starts easily even when hot (Some 4-strokes don't have electric start and are a pain to get restarted when hot).  The suspension is respectable and the power is more than ample.  Kawasaki has a similar model.  A used Honda XR-400 can be had fairly cheaply and they are good bikes too.

Katoom, Gas Gas, Husqvarna will be pricey and lean towards the racer side(read:high maintenance).

I race 2 strokes but would feel comfortable with any of my suggestions on a casual trail ride.  I might even race them in a hare scramble!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#20]
what are you going to do with it?
trail ride is no place for a 250CC it will spank you if not carefull.
if you dont have much experiance i wouldnt get a 250cc or 450 because you will be @ the ER real quick.
trail riding calls for an enduro of some sort but not one of those racing 450's! something along the line of an honda XR line.
and no you dont need a 600!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Honda XR's are great bikes.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top