Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:02:05 PM EDT
I recently went to NY and saw a bunch of confederate flags on people's houses and cars... I thought it was kind of wierd to see that in NY of all places.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not everybody likes an overbearing central, federal government.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently went to NY

That was your first mistake!

They come to FL and try to change everything... pay backs a bitch I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
HAAAYYYLLL YEA WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
To piss off the liberals?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Amen

Rednecks are from more places than Texas! And I say it with all the pride I can muster!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently went to NY

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen

Rednecks are from more places than Texas! And I say it with all the pride I can muster!

yup.

100% redneck here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]

I figure that it is a public service.
When I see this kind of stuff, I
don't have even talk to said person
to know that they are a dumbass.

It saves me time and I appreciate
the consideration.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently went to NY

Not only do they try to change everything. They NEVER SHUT UP about how great NY is. I ask them why they left and its always some reason beyond their control. I always tell them that 25 years is plenty of time to get back in control, STFU and get  your crap packed and head home. Most of them are pain in the ass libs to boot.

I hate em.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I remeber seeing that when I was there too, close to as much as I see here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently went to NY

Not only do they try to change everything. They NEVER SHUT UP about how great NY is. I ask them why they left and its always some reason beyond their control. I always tell them that 25 years is plenty of time to get baCK IN CONTROL, stfu AND GET your crap packed and head home. Most of them are pain in the ass libs to boot.

I hate em.

+1

Semper Fi
Shooter
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Not all of us were born here

Edited to add: Whenever you meet another southern citizen here it is similar to meeting your fellow countrymen behind enemy lines.  I'm not sure how to express the feeling in any other way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently went to NY

Not only do they try to change everything. They NEVER SHUT UP about how great NY is. I ask them why they left and its always some reason beyond their control. I always tell them that 25 years is plenty of time to get baCK IN CONTROL, stfu AND GET your crap packed and head home. Most of them are pain in the ass libs to boot.

I hate em.

+1

Semper Fi
Shooter

+2

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
you saw my kinfolk
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The place in NY you must've gone to must be what we call "upstate" meaning nowhere near NYC or the other urban areas. Here in LI if you wear a Stars and bars you will get your ass kicked in about 5 seconds flat. People around here take that shit seriously. Before you know it you'll be accosted by a group of young blacks or hispanics who will taunt you before they kick your ass and maybe shoot and rob you as well. Remember that scene in Die hard 3 when Mcclane had to wear a "I hate Nig&*rs" sign in the middle of harlem?? that is exactly what would happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Their probably all Klan members.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy who lives next to me has a broken doen Bronco II with a Confederate flag on it.

He flys the Confederate flag on the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and MLK Day. Those are the ONLY days the he has the Confederate flag out.

He has a big-ass Confederate flag in his garage with a black circle in the center of the flag with the number 3 inside of it.

I have no idea what the hell that means, but it's there.

Av.

Edit: I live in WI.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

I might not fly that flag, there's another one that I do fly that I respect a hell of a lot more. However I know a lot of people that do, especially guys I bike with.

You seem to even have the stars and bars in your avatar... what does that say about you when you say other people that fly that flag anywhere are part of something like the KKK? Is it just because they're not living in the south?

There are a lot of transplants up here that are great people that were born in the south.
Other people just use it as a "rebel" thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The guy who lives next to me has a broken doen Bronco II with a Confederate flag on it.

He flys the Confederate flag on the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and MLK Day. Those are the ONLY days the he has the Confederate flag out.

He has a big-ass Confederate flag in his garage with a black circle in the center of the flag with the number 3 inside of it.

Av.

Dale Earnhart?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

I might not fly that flag, there's another one that I do fly that I respect a hell of a lot more. However I know a lot of people that do, especially guys I bike with.

You seem to even have the stars and bars in your avatar... what does that say about you when you say other people that fly that flag anywhere are part of something like the KKK? Is it just because they're not living in the south?

There are a lot of transplants up here that are great people that were born in the south.

It was a joke you stupid prick, see the funny crazy face, jeeze.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Av.

It means he's a dork. (#3 was a dead race drivers number)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

Check out this link
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't fly the stars and bars (out of fear for my life and home) but out in the sticks I see it a lot, I would think most do it for the rebel thing but maybe some do it to let our state know how they feel, we are stuck behiend enemy line with some very strict laws and bans not to mention very high taxes.
If it was for that reason I might be willing to fly it as well if I didn't mind having my house burned down by people who would take it the wrong way.

As for Florida, you can keep that state. It's nothing but a goddamn waiting room for old people to die.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]

I once saw it on the front liscense plate of a pickup truck in downtown Detroit of all places!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

It was a joke you stupid prick, see the funny crazy face, jeeze.

Alright dude, I'm sorry. For future reference I don't really think that this face is really a "I'm just  joking" kind of thing. It seems to tell me more of a "What the hell is wrong with people" sort of face.

But then who am I to make judgements on the faces people make.

ETA: I guess these liberals up here just make me crazy
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a roommate in the dorms that got a full size confederate flag once.  He was a racist and he almost hung it up to start shit with another roommate who happened to be black just because.  He never did it, and I know it was because he was afraid the black roommate's friends would fuck him up.  I never approved of the idea due to his reasoning and am glad I didn't have to testify about the stabbing that would surely have occurred had he flown that flag on his wall.

I know some people fly it for other reasons and they are not all bad, but my racist chicken shit roomie sure wasn't any help to their image or argument.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
There was a period in the South called the "Brain Drain" where a lot of educated Southern people moved North to get more money for their skills. Now a lot of them or their descendants are coming back home to get away from the insanity.

Flying a Confederate flag is a matter of pride. It's a lot like owning and shooting an AR-15 and enjoying the 2nd amendment. The government can try to take it away from us, but we'll fight to stop it because we fought for our rights before.

Do they still have Mississippi Day in Central Park? I heard about it years ago and I saw a poster about it in a local sandwich shop.

There are a lot of people from MS living in New York city/state that got homesick and decided to have a reunion once a year made up of all the Mississippians. I imagine they fly a lot of MS state battle flags.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't fly the stars and bars (out of fear for my life and home) but out in the sticks I see it a lot, I would think most do it for the rebel thing but maybe some do it to let our state know how they feel, we are stuck behiend enemy line with some very strict laws and bans not to mention very high taxes.
If it was for that reason I might be willing to fly it as well if I didn't mind having my house burned down by people who would take it the wrong way.

As for Florida, you can keep that state. It's nothing but a goddamn waiting room for old people to die

Dont even get me started
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I spent 7 months in Rochester on a job, and, once you get out of the city limits, it's as redneck as any place in KY, NC, or TX.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yup...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The place in NY you must've gone to must be what we call "upstate" meaning nowhere near NYC or the other urban areas. Here in LI if you wear a Stars and bars you will get your ass kicked in about 5 seconds flat. People around here take that shit seriously. Before you know it you'll be accosted by a group of young blacks or hispanics who will taunt you before they kick your ass and maybe shoot and rob you as well. Remember that scene in Die hard 3 when Mcclane had to wear a "I hate Nig&*rs" sign in the middle of harlem?? that is exactly what would happen.

I lived in Cooperstown and Potsdam and never saw a confederate flag.  You cant get much more Upstate than Potsdam.  The only place I ever saw a Confederate flag was on a trailor down in the Catskills.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Av.

MLK day is Lee / Jackson / MLK day here in Virginia.  Lee was born Jan 19th and Stonewall was born 1/21.  

3 is for Dale Earnhardt.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I go to this country bar in a northern suburb of Chicago and beside me having a drink at the bar is this guy with a rebel flag bandanna and rebel flag patch on his jacket.  I hear him order a beer with a distinct "You all" so I ask him.  

"Are you from the south?"

"Sure enough you all.  I'm from Gary."

Tj

I spent 30 years in a northern suburb of Chicago, pretty much anyone south of the city sounds and looks like a redneck to me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Not everybody likes an overbearing central, federal government.

Flying the American Flag (or not flying the American flag)  should have  nothing to do with how you feel about the Government.  It's a symbol of patriotism, a symbol of the people of this great country and what this country represents.
If you don't like the government, vote them out, if you still don't like it - leave.
Isn't freedom great!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

People do it here in MA too. Not much in the eastern SSR of MA, but quite a few refuseniks do it in the Siberia of the west of the MASSR....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#39]
FYI, y'all.

There seems to be some confusion about flag nomenclature.

The "Stars and Bars" is not the Confederate flag that those Duke boys painted on the General Lee.  It's the one on Confederate's avatar with the three horozontal stripes (two red with white in between) and a circle of stars in a field of blue in the upper left corner.  It was the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863.

The rectangular one with the Blue St. Andrew's cross on a field of red (the one everyone recognizes as "the" Confederate flag) is the Naval Jack.  The square version of the same thing is the Battle Flag.

The other flags on Confederate's avatar are the second official national flag of the Confederacy (the battle flag on a field of white), and the third flag of the Confederacy (the second flag with the addition of a vertical red stripe on the right side (which was added because the second flag was sometimes mistaken for a white surrender flag)), and the Bonnie Blue Flag (the bonnie blue one).

HTH.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#40]
My father's family ended up in NYC as a direct result of the War of NORTHERN Agression

Story I got was Great-Great-granpappy was a grunt from North Carolina and got himself POWed.

After the war, supposedly, all the POW's were free'd once they said they were sorry.

He just stayed in NYC, cuz he was a po mo-fo, I rekon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#41]
+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
FYI, y'all.

The "Stars and Bars" is not the Confederate flag that those Duke boys painted on the General Lee.  It's the one on Confederate's avatar with the three horozontal stripes (two red with white in between) and a circle of stars in a field of blue in the upper left corner.  It was the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863.

The rectangular one with the Blue St. Andrew's cross on a field of red (the one everyone recognizes as "the" Confederate flag) is the Naval Jack.  The square version of the same thing is the Battle Flag.

The other flags on Confederate's avatar are the second official national flag of the Confederacy (the battle flag on a field of white), and the third flag of the Confederacy (the second flag with the addition of a vertical red stripe on the right side (which was added because the second flag was sometimes mistaken for a white surrender flag)), and the Bonnie Blue Flag (the bonnie blue one).

HTH.

Cripes, no wonder them Rebs lost, they couldn't even decide on which flag to use.

just kidding, I don't and never had a dog in this fight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI, y'all.

HTH.

Cripes, no wonder them Rebs lost, they couldn't even decide on which flag to use.

just kidding, I don't and never had a dog in this fight.

There was a reason for it.  The first national flag--the Stars and Bars--looled too much like the US flag, and that sometimes caused confdusion on the battlefield.  The second flag, with all that white, was sometimes mistaken for a flag of surrender, which also tended to cause confusion.  So they settled on the third one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I once saw it on the front liscense plate of a pickup truck in downtown Detroit of all places!

kinda like mine?  

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Probably the same reason people fly the flag in Dixie.

Yeah, except instead of the stars and bars, we fly the REAL Confederate flag: the Bonnie Blue flag. The stars and bars was just a battle flag, not the national flag.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#46]
they do it 'cause the South is kewl.

Long live Dixieland!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, except instead of the stars and bars, we fly the REAL Confederate flag: the Bonnie Blue flag. The stars and bars was just a battle flag, not the national flag.

I do understand the differance, (even before this thread )   If I had a Bonnie Blue on my truck, alot of people would have no idea what it ment, this one is much more unmistakable.. well, perhaps recigised would be a better word, since alot of people mistake it for something it is not (racist)

Mine has alot to do with the sentiment "if you take one down, ten more go up"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No no no no no no no....

Once again, the "Stars and Bars" was an official national flag and it's not the flag that everyone recognizes as the Confederate flag.  The "Stars and Bars" resembles the US flag except that it has only three stripes and a circle of seven stars in the field of blue.

The flag that everyone thinks of when they say "Confederate flag" is the Navy Jack (if rectangular) or the Battle Flag (if square).

While the Bonnie Blue flag was widely used and much loved in the Confederacy, it was not an official national flag of the Confederacy and it considerably predated Mr. Lincoln's war.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#49]
People fly the confederate flag because they think the federal govt is too powerfull.  

Now, how does flying the flag of a government that was the first to institute a draft (Confederacy started the draft about a year before the North did), passed laws to control and confiscate personal property, regulated interstate commerce, was the first to pass gun control laws (could slaves own guns in the South), instituted a tax on all member states in order to maintain the Confederate govt, placed all the State militias under Jefferson Davis' control (Davis was able to order the South Carolina militia to open fire on a federal fort due to a secert law passed by the Confederate Legislature) and enforced laws upon it's member states (Confederate states could not abolish slavery if they had any desire to do so, slavery was an untouchable institution to all the member states)  show a persons opposition to a powerfull central government is beyond me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top