Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
Ok, I work with a bunch of flaming liberals, but there are a few there that shoot. So, i brought in a photo of my brand new colt 6920 on my cell phone and showed him. well, another employee was there when we were talking about it, and somehow got 'offended'

I got taken aside by one of my managers saying not to ever talk about firearms at work again?

what the fuck kind of horse shit is that? Am i in the wrong?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
file a harrassment suit for them infringing on your "lifestyle"
call them bigots, basically do what homosexuals do when they get messed with at work
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont' think it is. I work with a few people who give me a hard time about it, and yet when a question comes up, they seem to find me.
Most actually want to go shoot with me
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
In today's enviroment, that can be construed as "threatening" or "disturbing".

Tread lightly.

My wife's company warned everyone about southern flags on their cars and such
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
dont talk about firearms  just talk about shooting people who piss you off  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
call them bigots, basically do what homosexuals do when they get messed with at work

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just start compaining when they say ANYTHING, it offends you remember?
Then ask them how they like it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I talk guns all the time. That, and trucks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I am having a bunch of other issues with management at this bullshit company, guns being the least of them

The same one that warned me not to talk about guns at work is the same one that jokes about me being 'in love' and having 'a crush' on another male coworkers; which is the biggest crock of shit. He is just one of the few people I work with that aren't assholes, so we bullshit a lot. Plus, I have seen and played with more pussy than my manager has, and she has one.

Secondly, this fucking manager just recently hired one of my co-worker's brothers for a management position, even though that would mean a co-worker of mine has a sibling as a superior, not to mention many people, who actually have experience, were passed over for this promotion. This isn't like the sibling is going to go in another department or anything; nope, it's going to be directly over its sibling. Isn't there some sort of rules against shit like that?

No to mention, management (both females) talk about their sex life all of the time in quite graphic detail. Now, normally, I wouldnt mind hearing some of that, but they are two disgusting chicks.

one of them looks boy george after he escaped a failed attempt to make fois gras from his liver.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
We talk about firearms at work all the time. We ran the only liberal out about  4 months ago. He just couldn't take the "RIGHT SIDE" talk all day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Go above her.

Do something about it.

If you were using racial slurs or something I can understand... but talking about guns?

What if you were talking about cars?  Or model airplanes?  Or SCUBA diving?

How can they tell you that your hobby is "offensive".

They can go screw themselves.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally posted by i forget:
"I dont' think it is. I work with a few people who give me a hard time about it, and yet when a question comes up, they seem to find me.
Most actually want to go shoot with me"

Same here they give me crap about it from time to time..for instance "oh looks like you got some OT last week huh..whatcha gunna buy?"
Or "Arent those illegal" / "Is that Full-Auto"
I try my best to inform as many people as possible of whats legal and legal ways of obtaining such items.
But mostly it comes down to..."I want to go shooting with you sometime"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The same one that warned me not to talk about guns at work is the same one that jokes about me being 'in love' and having 'a crush' on another male coworkers; which is the biggest crock of shit.

Gays are VERY bad mojo.   They are very protected in today's work enviroment.

I'd get your resume up to date.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Bitch about  everything they talk about.

Trust no one at work
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear a uniform at work, but I wear an AR15.com/ Tommy FALfiger/CavArms T-shirt to work most everyday. I am very careful of who's around when I'm doing some gunsmithing project, or  when  I'm showing pictures, but its no secret what my hobbies are.

oh yeah, I work in "Liberal Central"- downtown 'Frisco.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
we talk about guns and hunting at work all the time, even the woman talk about coyote shoots
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]
No but it's wrong to talk about work while playing with your guns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same one that warned me not to talk about guns at work is the same one that jokes about me being 'in love' and having 'a crush' on another male coworkers; which is the biggest crock of shit.

Gays are VERY bad mojo.   They are very protected in today's work enviroment.

I'd get your resume up to date.

Neither of us are gay. The head manager is joking (quite often) about ME being gay.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, I am having a bunch of other issues with management at this bullshit company, guns being the least of them

The same one that warned me not to talk about guns at work is the same one that jokes about me being 'in love' and having 'a crush' on another male coworkers; which is the biggest crock of shit. He is just one of the few people I work with that aren't assholes, so we bullshit a lot. Plus, I have seen and played with more pussy than my manager has, and she has one.

Secondly, this fucking manager just recently hired one of my co-worker's brothers for a management position, even though that would mean a co-worker of mine has a sibling as a superior, not to mention many people, who actually have experience, were passed over for this promotion. This isn't like the sibling is going to go in another department or anything; nope, it's going to be directly over its sibling. Isn't there some sort of rules against shit like that?

No to mention, management (both females) talk about their sex life all of the time in quite graphic detail. Now, normally, I wouldnt mind hearing some of that, but they are two disgusting chicks.

one of them looks boy george after he escaped a failed attempt to make fois gras from his liver.

This my friend, is a classic "hostile workplace environment".  Do you have an HR department? That's where you need to go since your manager is part of the problem. Best of it is, the manager will have to treat you like a King afterwards. Even the perception of retaliation for your reporting her would be very bad for the company.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Started new job a month ago and we talk guns constantly. Of course, we are building (and shooting) Uzis, HKs, AKs and RPDs, including full-autos. More fun than when I was military. I just love getting paid to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
As a general rule, if you want to keep your job, do what management tells you.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]

As a general rule, if you want to keep your job, pretend to do what management tells you.

This board code it worse then VI, hope that worked
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I work for a video game company.  Kindof shocks people when  they see I'm I'm using photos of my own collection as reference for the guns I build for the game. I get a lot of the "don't make him mad" comments. The other day someone accidentally dialed 911 while trying to dial out of the office. Our secretary asked us all to check on everyone else to make sure it was indeed just an accident. My project manager checked by my office and joked that he came to make sure I didn't bring a duffle bag with me to work, I told him it was in my car.  It's all in good fun. I've never felt it was antagonistic. I get a hoot watching the other game designers talking about which guns to include and how they should work when they themselves have never handled one in real life. The sound guys even had me critique the gun sounds. I apologize in advance for some of the weapons portrayed in this game. Even though I objected to the gang bangers possessing, let alone firing while on the run, a barret light .50, the head guys said it just looked too cool to omitt.  Though I did animate the gang bangers holding some of the guns in true asshat alqaeda style. I almost slipped in some homeboy nite sights.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok, I work with a bunch of flaming liberals, but there are a few there that shoot. So, i brought in a photo of my brand new colt 6920 on my cell phone and showed him. well, another employee was there when we were talking about it, and somehow got 'offended'

I got taken aside by one of my managers saying not to ever talk about firearms at work again?

I don't mean to be forward, and you can answer this as generalized as you like, but where do you work?  Just wondering, because if it is a larger company there are tons of things you can do about it.  Anyways, good luck, and don't back down.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Man, strange times in which we live.

Luckily I worked as a woodworker for years.  Guns were never considered a taboo subject so I have never personally encountered folks that get all nimbly bimbly about them. At least, not in the work place. Too bad.

America is assuredly a different place than the one I grew up in.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#25]
At one job I worked the welders I worked with would get off and go to the gun store or even bring in guns to show at work, one was getting an FFL.

I miss that job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I work for a video game company.  Kindof shocks people when  they see I'm I'm using photos of my own collection as reference for the guns I build for the game. I get a lot of the "don't make him mad" comments. The other day someone accidentally dialed 911 while trying to dial out of the office. Our secretary asked us all to check on everyone else to make sure it was indeed just an accident. My project manager checked by my office and joked that he came to make sure I didn't bring a duffle bag with me to work, I told him it was in my car.  It's all in good fun. I've never felt it was antagonistic. I get a hoot watching the other game designers talking about which guns to include and how they should work when they themselves have never handled one in real life. The sound guys even had me critique the gun sounds. I apologize in advance for some of the weapons portrayed in this game. Even though I objected to the gang bangers possessing, let alone firing while on the run, a barret light .50, the head guys said it just looked too cool to omitt.  Though I did animate the gang bangers holding some of the guns in true asshat alqaeda style. I almost slipped in some homeboy nite sights.

Do you code for a major company? Have you made any titles I might be familiar with?.....and what everyone else is wondering

DO YOU GET VIDEO GAMES FOR FREE?!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
At one job I worked the welders I worked with would get off and go to the gun store or even bring in guns to show at work, one was getting an FFL.

I miss that job.

I pretty much spend my lunch hour perusing the gun selection at work
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It sounds funny, but I agree with it. If the fags can openly 'express' themselves so can you.
I talk about shooting all the time at work. Espically which people at work I'd like to shoot, with what, and how. I am amazed I still have a job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
While it is wrong that anyone would reprimand you, remember the 3 P's:

Never get your:
Politics
Pussy
or your
Paycheck
at the same place.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Never get your:
Politics
Pussy
or your
Paycheck
at the same place.

good advice.  hard to do at times, but good advice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Never get your:
Politics
Pussy
or your
Paycheck
at the same place.

+1 Even a dog doesn't shit where it eats.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]
We talk about guns at work
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry my .38 Airweight at work,(american express-don't leave home without it) our loader operator showed me his S&W .45 auto the other day(concealed). Our estimator just brought in his new stainless Beretta w/ laser today for me to check out. I could not believe he whipped it out in front of my dilhole boss, and turned on the laser, then handed it to me. Only the loader op knows I am carrying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I keep a case (700rds) of 7.62 and a case (1000rds) of 9mm in my office.  One of the girls in the shop wanted to see an AK47 so I brought one in and now she is an ex-leftist who voted for Bush in november.  Keep in mind this is a small shop that I own.  If It's reasonable find a friendlier place to work.  Have one leftist left and I make everyone listen to Rush and Hanity, he complained so I gave him a pair of range plugs that I've noticed him wear from time to time.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
why cant you?  I'm sure its okay to talk about muslims and jews.. thats against the 1st amendment..

sue their ass, contact the NRA, they might pay for your lawyer and court costs
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I actually asked my manager once if I could come in late the next day cause I had to go to the gun store and pick up my LE6920's.  Another guy comes in my office all the time or stops in the hallway and asks for advice on which gun he should buy next.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I want to get a job were you have to talk about guns everyday, otherwise you aren't working.

If I had a job like that, I could die a happy man.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Cabelas pay isn't great but you can have fun there Most of the old guys there are only working for the employee discount.
I know a couple of guys who never see a paycheck
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I talk shooting all the time at work. Today I explained for a co-worker about the different Garand manufacturers, especially IHC. They we digressed into the M1D.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Shut up and do your job  

Nobody think of that?  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish I could find a job at a gun store.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Oh, can you fix "Counter-Strike: Source" so the M-4 REload animation does not have the your charactor PULLING out the forward assist after slapping in a fresh mag?!?!

ETA: It would also be nice if the image of the port was on the right hand side, so it matches up with the ejecting brass animation. In fact, flip the whole M-4 model, cause the forward assist is on the left had side of the gun, but your character shoots right handed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Hell almost everyone at my work loves guns.

I brought in my M4 after the AWB sunset to show my boss/the VP the new evil features.

One day a kid called looking for a job and made the comment that he wanted to make sure the positions were unarmed (I am a supervisor at a security company) and then randomly went off to the VP on how he thought guns killed people not people...all with me in the background laughing and making choking noises.

So, my boss still let him come in.  The kid went into the office to find every wall covered in collectible swords and axes and my bosses .38 "accidently" left on top of his desk.  He didn't take the job...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
You are at work damnit  not at home or on your own,what if you tried to sell Amway at work or JW!

Or professed to be a Jim Jones man!   It's all the same just do your job and leave all of what you are behind closed doors!

The right to own and bear arms is just as real as the right to hate and not want guns into your home or work place!!!

Ny brother in law served in Korea and when he got married my sister would not let him own a firearm in (thier house) ever!!!

You are there to work just do it,and if you find a friend at work that feels like you do then try to talk about guns around like friends!

Most people don't like guns period!!!

Here you are among those that love firearms,but in real life  you must admit you will become a threat to those that are deaf to need for any but thier police force or Government to protect them!

It is no use to try and tell the how long the reponce time will mean in a life or death situation!!!

Talk about guns only to others that love guns as you do!!!

Bob

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Welcome to the brave new world that we live in.
Yeah. Ill talk about guns at work as long as the other "men" at my place of work keep talking about golf all damn day. I guess golf is now the politically correct suburban thing to do nowadays. There is one fellow who shares an intrest in firearms ,but its mostly blackpowder which is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I have no clue what that means.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I've learned to not talk about guns at school (professional school that is).  You would think that the girl with a kid would want to be able to protect her child, but because of movies like Bowling for Columbine and any other Michael Moore (aka, fat-ass piece of shit, disgrace to the human race) movies, she thinks that her boyfriend can protect her against anything (with nothing more than a baseball bat).  Well, I really don't understand how he could defend himself, her, or her child against an intruder who has a gun, with nothing more than a baseball bat, but maybe I am missing something.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Accusing you of having a crush on another male co-worker sounds like sexual harrasment. Sue them and buy more guns with the cash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Go above her.

Do something about it.

If you were using racial slurs or something I can understand... but talking about guns?

What if you were talking about cars?  Or model airplanes?  Or SCUBA diving?

How can they tell you that your hobby is "offensive".

They can go screw themselves.

Best advice here, since management consists of disgusting chicks that love to talk about their sex lives, the possibilities

When I was working full-time, I only talked about guns when my other coworkers that liked guns brought up the issue AND the antigunners were not around to overhear us.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top