Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:47:40 PM EDT
Anybody doing their own taxes this way...
I'm self employed and had to file a W9 with my "employer" and get 1099 at the end of the year...last year I had a CPA do my taxes...but I would like to save some money this year... any suggestions....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If all you have is a w9 and 1099 it's really simple.  Just plug the numbers in turbo tax and you're done.  Do you have anything you can deduct?  Student loan interest, house, donations?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
deductions are:

business expenses
1 room of the house used for business....
we have an interest only home mortgage
I've bought materials for running the business
spent gas and have traveled to jobs out of state (thousands of miles)
spent money eating "on the job" during meal periods
cel phone for business use
internet for business use
home phone line for business use
have bought and sold video (work) related equipment

my business is freelance video
I get hired to do commercials and cover events and such....

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas isnt deductable when taking the standard milage deduction.  I would get an accountant  to figure it for you, it shouldnt be expensive for somthing as simple as yours.  I would think a 1040, schedual C and schedual SE.  Also, the mortgage interest paid is whats deductable.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a copy of "Your Income Tax 2005" by J.K. Lasser ($16.95) and a copy of Tax Cut (~$20). there is complete information for 1040 Schedule C and SE, as well as specifics on home office deductions. You can do it just fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#5]
FVCK TurboTax!

I made the mistake of useing them a few years ago and when I found out the hard way that they didn't file my return, I called their customer support number. I got "Ranjit" in India. He was of absolutley no use to me and refused to refund my $80 becuase the time limit had expired.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top