Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 2:30:24 PM EDT
My current setup I built myself in summer of 2001 and I would like to go faster. I recently bought Doom 3 and it runs very poorly and I need more power. Currently have:

Epox EP-8KHA+ mobo
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
512 MB of 266mhz DDR
ATI Radeon 9000

I only plan to buy a new mobo, CPU and fan, RAM and video card (will use my current case, hard drives, cd drives and audio card. I don't need the latest greatest fastest thing out there but want the best bang for my buck. I'm thinking about this:

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
don't know about mobo (don't need built in audio as I already have a good audio card)
512mb of RAM
$200 on video card (ATI 9800 or X700???)

I really used to be up on computer stuff a couple of years ago but have fell behind and don't know whats good/fast and what not. Any recommendations and opinions would be great?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
First off
Get RDRAM
Preferably Samsung.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This is all I will say....go here and read some reviews.  www.pcmech.com

Sgatr15  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is all I will say....go here and read some reviews.  www.pcmech.com

Sgatr15  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would run a little bigger processor (at least a P4 3GHz with the 800MHz front side bus) and definitely at least a gig of ram.   I use the 9800XT and am happy with it.   I like Asus mobo's which with the P4 I picked would be the P4P800 but you would probably find people who would recommend and despise all makes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I don't have any good reason to choose Intel or AMD. Any reason to go with AMD (bang for buck?). Also any recommendations on website to buy mobo/cpu/ram combo that will install everything and test it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
tigerdirectdotcom

Quoted:
I guess I don't have any good reason to choose Intel or AMD. Any reason to go with AMD (bang for buck?). Also any recommendations on website to buy mobo/cpu/ram combo that will install everything and test it?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
tigerdirectdotcom

Quoted:

Hey I forgot about that company. What do you guys think of this setup with 1 gig of RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1087917&Sku=MBM-A8VD-3400

What type/speed RAM would I need?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top