Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 2:19:45 PM EDT

Just picked up a used Makarov that had seen better days for $69. Its pretty rough looking, most of the finish is beat up and the sights are rounded off. The barrel and interior looked pretty new though, so I figured...what the hell. Apparently it was the previous owner's "truck gun", so it spend a lot of time bouncing around a vehicle.

Anyway, took it to the range after a good cleaning and the thing shoots like a champ! I put about 125 of the crappiest rounds I could find though it without a single issue. I mean it gobled up everything! Shoot pretty straight too. The sight are kinda' crappy so I didnt shoot farther than 15 yards but all the rounds were into a tennis-ball sized group.

I really couldnt shoot more rounds though it because the backstrap is rather thin and the recoil really is a bit sharp. That or the recoil spring is too old. Anyway, after 125 rounds my hand hurt a bit. So I stopped.

But I'm totally impressed. I think I'm going to have it refinished. Why didnt anybody tell me about these little babies.

Anyone know of a home refinishing kit? I dont want to send it off to a pro since they would probably laugh at me after seeing it. Isnt there a bake in the oven kit out there somewhere....I remember hearing something about this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Who made it? Russian and German are good
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why didnt anybody tell me about these little babies.

www.makarov.com/

ETA:  Forums-->www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

Is it in .380 or 9X18 Makarov?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Got pics for a damage assessment?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Its a east German production MAK in 9x18. I dont have a digital camera so I cant post pictures. Its in seriously ugly shape. I know there are some of you out there that loooove pictures of beat-up firearms but I wont be a part of your pervertions
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people have all the luck in finding good buys.
What year EG?

+1 on makarov.com.  Get  a 19 or 21 # spring and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh I forgot, would you tone it down a bit on how good the mak is. All it does is to drive the prices up on these babies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
^Agreed..kinda like the CZ75...ooops
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh I forgot, would you tone it down a bit on how good the mak is. All it does is to drive the prices up on these babies.

no kidding!

great deal you got for $69;  enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
There are stories about Russian gangsters digging these things up out of WWII battlefields and using them for "business" with no problems after 60 years in the mud and ice.  Good endorsement for their reliability.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the 21 pound spring.

Makarovs are the SKS of the pistol world.   Reasonably accurate, cheap, and built like tanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok why change the spring? Mine is new but I haven't changed anything but the grips and man that thing cranks the russian right out the barrel as fast as you can sqeeze
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Smoother recoil, and flinging empties "a bit less" into next week.

I'm using a 21# in my '63 EG. Best thing I've ever done for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok why change the spring? Mine is new but I haven't changed anything but the grips and man that thing cranks the russian right out the barrel as fast as you can sqeeze

Also, a lot of the ammo out there now (especially the 9x18 Wolf loads) use a much heavier bullet than the MAK was designed for, which increases pressures and the possibility of premature opening of the action, from what I've read.   In any case, if you're shooting anything above 95grain projectiles, the heaver springs will make the gun far more comfortable to shoot and add some longevity as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I'm a firm believer in the Makarov. I didn't get as good of a deal as you did, but it wasn't much more. I will never sell my German model...would like to find another, even if beat up finish wise...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Read this loon from GunsAmerica:

Matched Bulgarian (10) Makarov 9mm I purchased for carry permit class. No longer need. Extra grip, 2 magazines, cleaning rod, ammo if you want. Typical condition. Shipping flat $25 to FFL BUT will reimburse excess ship costs over $1. I am gun owner that does not support Bush policies; not a one-issue voter. Common sense citizens must get involved.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on Makarov.com, bigger spring (I'm using a 19#) and a Pierce grip.

I have two (Bulgarians).  One is in fantastic condition, with very nice, deep bluing.  The other is a bit more worn and is one of my CCW pieces.

I'd never shot it without the Pierce grip until I test fired my "safe queen" with the thin grips.  *OUCH* that sucker HURT.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I got one of them and Id like ti for $70 Id have to grab another one, Id probaly pay $120 for another one if it was out the door at the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top