Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 11:16:29 AM EDT
Storm-related deaths during 5-day California deluge
Tuesday January 11, 2005
A look at those who died during the relentless rainstorms that pounded California between Jan. 7 and Tuesday.

Jan. 7: Four-year-old Ingrid Paredes died in Chula Vista when the car she was in slid off the rain-slicked Interstate 805.

Jan. 7: A woman died and her male partner was rescued after a 34-foot sailboat was caught in heavy seas and went aground near the central coast town of Cambria. Her name has not been released.

Jan. 8: The body of an unidentified man was pulled out of the swollen Tijuana River; he is believed to have been with a group of illegal border crossers.

Jan. 8: Andrei Natali, 20, of Ojai, died after he was carried off by the swift-moving Matilija River in Ventura County.

Jan. 8: A fiery crash on the Ventura Freeway in Glendale killed two people. A disabled 2002 Ford Mustang was rear-ended by a 1991 Honda that burst into flames, killing its male driver. He has not been identified. The driver of the Mustang, 31-year-old Anik Jeannine Proffit, also died.

Jan. 8: A collapsed hillside in Los Angeles' Elysian Park area crushed and buried a homeless man under a concrete-like mound of mud and rock. He was identified as 42-year-old Jeffrey Lynn Earwood.

Jan. 9: On the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, a 21-year-old Rancho Dominguez man was killed and four people were injured after their vehicle skidded on water or mud, hit a telephone pole and ended up in the surf. His name has not yet been released.

Jan. 9: In Los Angeles, 79-year-old Refugio Quero was run over by her husband who did not see her in the driving rain. Quero was opening a gate for her husband's car when he hit her.

Jan. 9: In Palmdale, on the edge of the Mojave Desert northeast of Los Angeles, rescue workers in a helicopter plucked a woman and two of her children from a car floating down a rain-filled wash, but the woman lost her grip on her 2-year-old daughter, who drowned. The child was identified as Jamaia B. Davis of Palmdale.

Jan. 10: In La Conchita, a small community of houses wedged onto a spit of land between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean, a massive mudslide Monday killed four people. One of the victims was identified by the Ventura County Medical Examiner's office as Charles Womack, 51.

Jan. 10: In San Bernardino County, a woman drowned after she tried to drive her car across a swollen creek. The body of 35-year-old Maureen Martinez has not been found.

Jan. 10: In the City of Industry, a van hit 53-year-old Valente Jacquez from behind as he exited his car after a rain-related accident on the Pomona Freeway.

Jan. 10: An unidentified male died after being washed away by a raging creek. His body was found by paramedics wedged in a tree in Topanga Canyon. The man's body had not been retrieved because of high waters.

Jan. 11: In Los Angeles, a 52-year-old man died of injuries he sustained in a rain-related traffic accident on Interstate 5 on Jan. 9.

Jan. 11: In San Diego, an 18-year-old woman was killed and three people were injured two seriously when a 3-foot-wide tree fell on their car as they returned home from an overnight shift at a Macy's department store. Their names haven't been released.

Sources: Coroners and sheriff's deputies in Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, San Bernardino and San Luis Obispo counties.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Jan. 9: In Palmdale, on the edge of the Mojave Desert northeast of Los Angeles, rescue workers in a helicopter plucked a woman and two of her children from a car floating down a rain-filled wash, but the woman lost her grip on her 2-year-old daughter, who drowned. The child was identified as Jamaia B. Davis of Palmdale.

Sources: Coroners and sheriff's deputies in Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, San Bernardino and San Luis Obispo counties.

This one gets me.

This bitch deliberately drove around flood barricades telling her not to proceed.

Then she gets her car stuck.

Then, while managing to save her own ass, she drops her own flesh and blood.

She is a murderer of the worst kind.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This one gets me.

This bitch deliberately drove around flood barricades telling her not to proceed.

Then she gets her car stuck.

Then, while managing to save her own ass, she drops her own flesh and blood.

She is a murderer of the worst kind.  

Just heard on the news she may get charged with murder or manslaughter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
They were not going to let those JBT traffic nazis tell them where they could & could not drive!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They were not going to let those JBT traffic nazis tell them where they could & could not drive!

I do not agree with her decision --------- but I must say it was hers to make.

I do not want the government to make all decisions  for me and my family.
And that includes the cops...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not agree with her decision --------- but I must say it was hers to make.

I do not want the government to make all decisions  for me and my family.
And that includes the cops...

Wrong.  

If she wanted to drive into oblivion, good riddance.

She chose, however, to take THREE of her children into harms way in direct violation of posted traffic control devices.  No different than deciding to disobey a red signal light.

Also, the stupid bitch called for help on her cell phone, resulting in said helicopter being used to haul her worthless ass back from the brink while she let go of her daughter.  This ended up costing me and all taxpayers money better spent elsewhere.

So, doubly, it was not her "decision" to make.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top